Help Removing Emblem/Badge Adhesive

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Envee
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removing Emblem/Badge Adhesive

Hey guys,

I wanted to remove some of the lettering from the rear of my car but the adhesive used is proving tough to remove. I got most of it but there is still an outline of the letters that remains. I've tried elbow grease, goo gone, hot water and soap; nothing seems to work. Can anyone offer up a suggestion? It looks awful and I'd really like to get it cleaned up.

Edit: I'm considering using a razor blade which is the WORST idea ever, but it's the only one i've got. Someone please offer a better suggestion before I do something stupid lol.

Thanks!

Last edited by Envee; 11-06-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
I used goo gone and a sliced up tshirt to scrub off the adhesive. Once you remove the badges, you'll need to go over again and polish the car and wax it. I recommend washing the car first, then using some very fine polishing paste to gently buff the entire area. Then wax again to protect your work.

Depending how long you had the letters on there, you'll definitely see some faint outlining without polishing. Remember, your car has been exposed to sunlight everywhere except beneath those letters.

Do NOT use a razor blade.

Last edited by GoFightNguyen; 11-06-2013 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Envee (11-17-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:48 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Removing Emblem/Badge Adhesive-image-3161002451.jpg

Here's my car with Infiniti Debadged. I went over it with my weapons of choice.

Removing Emblem/Badge Adhesive-image-1337977559.jpg

I applied and buffed by hand 3-4 times (use straight lines, Mr. miyagi was wrong).
Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
I have the answer your looking for!

For the longest time, I spent hours removing adhesive from multiple cars by hand...and it sucked. Until I did some research and found the 3M eraser wheel... that with a $30 electric drill from lowes and I never looked back. I debadged my trunk, adhesive and all..in under 20min.

You wont be dissapointed, practice makes perfect as you got to feel what your doing. It wont damage your clearcoat or paint, as long as you dont spend a long time in one spot.

I followed up with the scratch X 2.0 above as well for the faint lines or cloudy residue that wouldnt come off.

Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paratrooper:
4rnr (12-27-2013), Envee (11-17-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Envee
Registered Member

I have polish and wax, thats not the issue. I'm not even at that stage as there is still actual adhesive that simply won't come off. I just tried WD-40 as I've read it works, but that too had no effect. I tried using a plastic scraper (carefully) to remove it; its REALLY stuck on there.

Here's a pic:

Name:  5qKhZ5O.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  52.3 KB

Edit: It almost looks a lot like hardened super glue :S

Edit 2: This really isnt going well. What should I use to re-attach the emblems if this doesnt work out?

Last edited by Envee; 11-06-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Envee
Registered Member

I ended up covering the plastic scraper I have with an old t-shirt (thanks for the tip GoFight!) and went to town. Managed to get all of the adhesive off, but ended up scuffing up the clear coat a bit. Nothing a little scratch remover, polish and wax didn't fix.

I really want to remove the infiniti letters, but after what I went through for these, I don't think I should lol.

Here's a final pic. Thanks for the help guys!

Name:  g1vTbPO.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  380.0 KB
Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Envee
I have polish and wax, thats not the issue. I'm not even at that stage as there is still actual adhesive that simply won't come off. I just tried WD-40 as I've read it works, but that too had no effect. I tried using a plastic scraper (carefully) to remove it; its REALLY stuck on there.

Here's a pic:

Edit: It almost looks a lot like hardened super glue :S

Edit 2: This really isnt going well. What should I use to re-attach the emblems if this doesnt work out?
The 3m wheel is for the problem you have, its not for polishing...its for removing the stuck on goop.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Brainchild

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Debading is a pain, especially after the badges have been on for a long period of time (mine were on for 4 years). I used floss and goo gone to get it all off. Even after I cleaned and waxed the trunk, you could see the outline of all the letters and symbols in bright daylight. I even tried Meguiars Scratch X to remove the outline. It made it better but still remained. Then I hit it with a Porter Cable and some cutting/polishing compounds and voila! The trunk looked factory debadged.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:10 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I used goo gone and an old credit card. Let the goo gone sit for a bit, then just lightly scraped the adhesive off. Came right off with minimal scratching. Then just used a light compound, polish, then waxed it...all by hand. Came out like glass...no scratches.

Hardest thing to do is take your time doing this...and that the one thing that's required.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Envee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Paratrooper
The 3m wheel is for the problem you have, its not for polishing...its for removing the stuck on goop.
The polish/wax comment was in response to GoFightNguyen. Sorry for the confusion I will DEFINITELY be picking up this 3M Eraser Wheel you mentioned when I go to debadge the "Infiniti" letters. That'll be in the spring though. My garage isn't heated and it's too darn cold now haha.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I really appreciate it!

-B
Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 PM
jbelleit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never done it, so don't hold this as total truth, but when I was at my local car wash, i asked the same thing and they said to use a hairdryer and heat up the adhesive first...

just an idea I am passing along...
Old 11-13-2013, 11:37 PM
jhale512

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely need to heat up that adhesive. U can roll it off with ur hand when it's hot and sticky
Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by jhale512
Definitely need to heat up that adhesive. U can roll it off with ur hand when it's hot and sticky
It's not required. I used goof off and sliced the adhesive with fishing line.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Envee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jbelleit
I have never done it, so don't hold this as total truth, but when I was at my local car wash, i asked the same thing and they said to use a hairdryer and heat up the adhesive first...

just an idea I am passing along...
Originally Posted by jhale512
I did. I used a ceramic hair dryer on medium heat setting and heated the adhesive in a swinging left to right motion. I repeated this for roughly 4-5 minutes. It was easy enough to cut through and wipe the adhesive off (using my thumb lol). It was the super-glue like adhesive buildup around the edges that gave me trouble (see previously posted image). Excessive scraping, while lightly damaging my clear coat, proved successful in the end. WD-40, Goo-Gone, and soapy water had less then desirable effects. I was ready to take a razor to the stuff

Edit:@Paratrooper

I was searching online for a 3M eraser wheel. I can't find a local retailer here in Canada :S I'm going to keep looking; someone is bound to carry it. If all else fails, do you know a place I can buy one online?

Last edited by Envee; 11-14-2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: @paratrooper
Old 11-14-2013, 02:09 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I just used goo gone and a credit card then washed and waxed it after words. You just have to take your time and kind if roll it back the left on adhesive. I'm not sure I would spend $30 on a one time use thing. But it's your money

Quick Reply: Help Removing Emblem/Badge Adhesive