Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Need some HID Headlight quick help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need some HID Headlight quick help

Ok guys, long story shortened down.

I bought some cheap amazon HID 6000K D2S bulbs. They were terrible. You got what you pay for and I paid peanuts and got peanuts. Bad beam pattern, sometimes wouldn't ignite on the first fire up, etc. $100 for install.

SOOO...I bought some "Genuine" Phillips Ultinon 6000K bulbs, paid about $120 for the pair, made in Germany, etc....had them installed, another $100. Now after getting home from the dealership I noticed one bulb seemed a bit pinkish....oh no. I said screw it and went on vacation. Just came home and now the other bulb flickered and won't fire. If I turn the lights on an off it will flicker but won't fire. Ok another set of junk bulbs. The seller on ebay is willing to replace the pair but I'm not sure I want to deal anymore.

Do I just say screw it and put back in the stock bulbs (always worked, always white, fine beam pattern)?

Can't anyone sell me quality D2S bulbs that just happen to be 6000K instead of stock 4300K?

Mike S.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:56 PM
pricojorge

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
omg .... you paid someone 100$ to install 2 HIDs .... ?

I bought ebay 6000k and they have been good to me, love the color

by the way, it is very simple to install them .... VERY simple, takes like 5 minutes each side, who the heck charged you 100$ ? dealer ?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Mike S.

Yea...I mean...I can change a bulb, but I was under the impression that you need to jack up the car, take off the wheels, remove the fender liner and get in there. Is there an easier way? If so, I'll do it in my drive tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Your bulbs are already HID. If you can contort your wrist, you should be able to get to it.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Mike S.

LOL I KNOW they're already HID. Where Do I stick my hand? You mean just pull the liner out a bit with the wheel still attached and the car not jacked off the ground?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:40 PM
pricojorge

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
turn the wheel all the way to the inside so you have room to pull the liner and you get access to it, its tricky the first time, simple after that, i took the wheel out the first time, but second time i knew where to go that I didnt have to.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:46 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Nah, remove the stock air boxes. Undo the plastic cover and ballast, and undo the spring clip to pull the old bulb out.

Honestly it's easier to jack up the car and go through the wheel well.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:45 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Here is the video I use for reference when I replaced mine. The only thing I did differently than this guy was I used the jack out of my trunk and lifted the car up about 2 inches or so (tire still touching the ground, not that it really matters) just so I could get my hand in there a bit easier, I tried both ways (with the jack and without the jack) and with the jack is much easier. I also bought my 6000K HIDs from Diode Dynamics and have had absolutely no problems with them whatsoever, plus they're only about $45 shipped.

Heres the link to the bulbs...

The following 2 users liked this post by '11G37S:
Kuro (01-30-2014), Rochester (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.

I bought some cheap amazon HID 6000K D2S bulbs. They were terrible. You got what you pay for and I paid peanuts and got peanuts. Bad beam pattern, sometimes wouldn't ignite on the first fire up, etc. $100 for install.

SOOO...I bought some "Genuine" Phillips Ultinon 6000K bulbs, paid about $120 for the pair, made in Germany, etc....had them installed, another $100. Now after getting home from the dealership I noticed one bulb seemed a bit pinkish....oh no. I said screw it and went on vacation. Just came home and now the other bulb flickered and won't fire. If I turn the lights on an off it will flicker but won't fire. Ok another set of junk bulbs. The seller on ebay is willing to replace the pair but I'm not sure I want to deal anymore.

Do I just say screw it and put back in the stock bulbs (always worked, always white, fine beam pattern)?

Can't anyone sell me quality D2S bulbs that just happen to be 6000K instead of stock 4300K?

Mike S.
From what I'm reading it seems that you've gotten fake bulbs. Ebay is KNOWN to sell fake bulbs from China. Your Philips Ultinon are fake because they would never do that if they were real.

You have to purchase bulbs through legitimate retailers like theretrofitsource.com...the only confirmed eBay seller that sells real bulbs is HIDBulbzrus

It seems to me that you would be truly happy with the Osram 66240 CBI D2S bulbs. They are a bit bluer and brighter than stock. They run at about 5500K. You can change the bulbs by turning the wheel, removing the wheel liner and going through the wheel well. I've changed my bulbs couple times that way.
The following users liked this post:
connoisseurr (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:11 AM
yeeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.

Mike S.
Dear Sir/Madam,
   We're glad to hear that you're on the market for HID. We specialize in this field for several years, with the only full automatic production line in Asia, the leader of the industry, will push out at least one new product in each year and with good quality and pretty competitive price.
   Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. FREE SAMPLES will be sent for your evaluation!

Yours truly,
Yeeman Lui

Taifeng(VLK) Lighting Company
Tel: +86 155 211 40499
Mail: vlkhid2@outlook.com
Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
I was looking into a brighter solution for my HID sysytem. Is it possible to just swap to a different HID bulb for a bit brighter output? I plan to pull my headlights and paint the housings, along with swap in LED switchbacks and LED city lights so I want to have all the bulbs ready when I do this modification.

Any information on a "brighter" D2S bulb?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:12 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I was looking into a brighter solution for my HID sysytem. Is it possible to just swap to a different HID bulb for a bit brighter output? I plan to pull my headlights and paint the housings, along with swap in LED switchbacks and LED city lights so I want to have all the bulbs ready when I do this modification. Any information on a "brighter" D2S bulb?
Stock headlights are 4300k temp and produce the most usable light. Higher temp bulbs will produce less light. If you want more *usable* lights, try the high end osram 4300k bulbs, they gave more lumens.
connoisseurr (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Stock headlights are 4300k temp and produce the most usable light. Higher temp bulbs will produce less light. If you want more *usable* lights, try the high end osram 4300k bulbs, they gave more lumens.
Makes sense. I will look into those Osram bulbs. Thanks a million
Old 11-25-2013, 10:55 AM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
From what I'm reading it seems that you've gotten fake bulbs. Ebay is KNOWN to sell fake bulbs from China. Your Philips Ultinon are fake because they would never do that if they were real.

You have to purchase bulbs through legitimate retailers like theretrofitsource.com...the only confirmed eBay seller that sells real bulbs is HIDBulbzrus

It seems to me that you would be truly happy with the Osram 66240 CBI D2S bulbs. They are a bit bluer and brighter than stock. They run at about 5500K. You can change the bulbs by turning the wheel, removing the wheel liner and going through the wheel well. I've changed my bulbs couple times that way.

I have the Osram CBIs, purchased from TRS - switched over from a set of Ultinons. They're so much brighter it's amazing. The ultinons throw LESS lumens than stock; the CBIs throw MORE, even at higher color temp.

2.5 years after purchase, my ultinons were getting markedly more blue, and throwing noticably less light.

While the CBIs look slightly less "cool" (in both senses of the word!) than the Ultinons, this is easy to justify by the fact that this is a functional mod - I need my headlights to illuminate the road, not impress the kiddies in their civics (that's what my evil iron man is for )

This can be offset to some degree buy putting in a set of clear projector lenses; I have a set of sti-r's, and the color flicker they add is extremely cool (in addition to also throwing more light!)

Out of the box, they have a decidedly yellow cast; once they burn in, however, they get a bit less warm.
Mik3G37S (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88

Yes Osram 66240 CBI D2S are the best choice but this is incorrect, they run at 5k ( PURE WHITE !) and have the best luminosity output at 3500 lumens while OEM 4300k bulbs are at about 3100-3200 and yes best place to get them is Theretrofitsource

Quick Reply: Need some HID Headlight quick help