Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Need some HID Headlight quick help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I was looking into a brighter solution for my HID sysytem. Is it possible to just swap to a different HID bulb for a bit brighter output? I plan to pull my headlights and paint the housings, along with swap in LED switchbacks and LED city lights so I want to have all the bulbs ready when I do this modification.

Any information on a "brighter" D2S bulb?
Your best option is to get the Osram 66240 CBI bulbs for $185 a pair and if you're going to to take your headlights apart then get the Sti-R clear lenses from TheRetrofitSource which go for like $50 and they are going to improve your light output a lot with these bulbs as well as sharper cutoff line and a slight hint of blue at the cutoff

Infact here are the links for those 2...

Osram 66240 CBIs

D2S: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc

STI-R clear lenses

(3") STi-R - Clear Lenses from The Retrofit Source Inc

these are on my future mod list when I get ready to get my housings painted I'll do the clear lens swap aswell and put in the CBIs, You will love the results !
Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
I already have STI-R lenses sitting in my workshop. Those were widely recommended by many folks here so I didn't want to forget those out. V3 switchbacks from VLEDs and some 5k city lights for my housings as well.

Thanks for the links, I'm definitely going to pikc up a set of those D2S Osram bulbs. I'd like to benefit from a bit more light output as the country roads I drive on frequently don't have any light but what is provided from a headlight.

Any recommendations on fogs?
Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 AM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the CBI for the past 1 year or so, love these bulbs!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Mik3G37S

I already have STI-R lenses sitting in my workshop. Those were widely recommended by many folks here so I didn't want to forget those out. V3 switchbacks from VLEDs and some 5k city lights for my housings as well.

Thanks for the links, I'm definitely going to pikc up a set of those D2S Osram bulbs. I'd like to benefit from a bit more light output as the country roads I drive on frequently don't have any light but what is provided from a headlight.

Any recommendations on fogs?
if you're getting the 5k CBIs along with the STI-R lenses and 5k city lights then you're just like me... Get the 5k 3Five Morimoto HID kit from TRS aswell... when you get the 5k switchbacks installed I want some daytime and nightime pics ! I have switchbacks from VLEDs just not V3s wasn't going to pay $150 for damn LED bulbs while the regular switchbacks I have from them give enough light output IMO..
Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by marcelo19lp
I have the CBI for the past 1 year or so, love these bulbs!
Any chance I can get to see them one day before I get mine? I'm from Central Jersey so guessing not too far from you haha
Old 11-25-2013, 11:59 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
if you're getting the 5k CBIs along with the STI-R lenses and 5k city lights then you're just like me... Get the 5k 3Five Morimoto HID kit from TRS aswell... when you get the 5k switchbacks installed I want some daytime and nightime pics ! I have switchbacks from VLEDs just not V3s wasn't going to pay $150 for damn LED bulbs while the regular switchbacks I have from them give enough light output IMO..
Do I need a new HID kit? Will the OE ballasts not work with the Osram bulbs - or were you speaking in regards to my question about fog lights?

Also which switchbacks are you using? I'd rather return the V3 switchbacks I have to save some $$$...
Old 11-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Mik3G37S

Do I need a new HID kit? Will the OE ballasts not work with the Osram bulbs - or were you speaking in regards to my question about fog lights?

Also which switchbacks are you using? I'd rather return the V3 switchbacks I have to save some $$$...

I was referring to the question about fog lights... and here is the SKU for the 5k switchbacks - 7443_48_WA2_5K I just checked they don't have them listed on their website now, they do have these but 6k but You should just ask them about the 5k ones.. very likely they are backordered or something... back then when I bought them they were on sale for like 20 or $25 which made me pull the trigger on these over the $150 V3, ...and don't forget the 6OHM load resistors

LED LOAD EQUALIZER RESISTORS TURN SIGNAL BLINKER FIX | 1 PAIR

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 11-25-2013 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
connoisseurr (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I was referring to the question about fog lights... and here is the SKU for the 5k switchbacks - 7443_48_WA2_5K I just checked they don't have them listed on their website now, they do have these but 6k but You should just ask them about the 5k ones.. very likely they are backordered or something... back then when I bought them they were on sale for like 20 or $25 which made me pull the trigger on these over the $150 V3, ...and don't forget the 6OHM load resistors

LED LOAD EQUALIZER RESISTORS TURN SIGNAL BLINKER FIX | 1 PAIR
Ahhh I will look into an HID kit for the fogs, definitely.

And thanks for the information regarding the switchbacks and the load resistors. I will contact VLEDS and see what the deal is with the 5k switchbacks. Thanks Mike
Old 11-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Mik3G37S

Ahhh I will look into an HID kit for the fogs, definitely.

And thanks for the information regarding the switchbacks and the load resistors. I will contact VLEDS and see what the deal is with the 5k switchbacks. Thanks Mike
You are welcome I want to see after pictures with the clear lens and CBIs and fogs all together
Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

You are welcome I want to see after pictures with the clear lens and CBIs and fogs all together
I will most definitely be posting many many pictures. I'm currently working on acquiring a good set of quality wide angle LEDs to create some sort of DRL within the projector shroud.

The one thing I've yet to find out is what are individuals using for spacers for the STI-R lenses - some say they reuse OEM but it's not enough space, or some use cardboard. I've never swapped a projector lens before so this is something totally new to me.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:51 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
I went through the same delima when changing my fog lights. After a cut wrist and a few curse words the lights were in.... Till I stood back to admire my work and saw that the drivers side bulb was askew.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 PM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Any chance I can get to see them one day before I get mine? I'm from Central Jersey so guessing not too far from you haha
I'm up in morristown w cbis and sti-r lenses. If you're going to be up in this area, pm me - Happy to play show n tell.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 PM
aktif8

I will most definitely be posting many many pictures. I'm currently working on acquiring a good set of quality wide angle LEDs to create some sort of DRL within the projector shroud.

The one thing I've yet to find out is what are individuals using for spacers for the STI-R lenses - some say they reuse OEM but it's not enough space, or some use cardboard. I've never swapped a projector lens before so this is something totally new to me.
I used the superbrightleds.com pre-wired ones for my evil iron man. Came out great.

I used the provided metal spacers with my sti-rs; worked great, and lots of color flicker.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by aktif8
I used the superbrightleds.com pre-wired ones for my evil iron man. Came out great. I used the provided metal spacers with my sti-rs; worked great, and lots of color flicker.
Do you have a picture of your LED mod? I'm curious to see the end result during the day and at night.

Thanks for the info on the STI-R lenses. I'll just use the supplied spacers.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
aktif8

Do you have a picture of your LED mod? I'm curious to see the end result during the day and at night.

Thanks for the info on the STI-R lenses. I'll just use the supplied spacers.
here's one daytime, headlights off. It's really hard to photograph - this is with exposure stepped all the way down. Anything less than that, and they just overwhelm the sensor - they're bright!

Attachment 1

Quick Reply: Need some HID Headlight quick help