Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Fog lights on without headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:52 PM
uzbekuz

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ricky does this happen to you on your sedan?
Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 AM
KPierson_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fog light circuit is overly complicated in the Gs. It has been that way since the beginning. The major issue is that the fog light switch is not a typical switch, but instead it is part of a multiplexed input system connected to the BCM (it is muliplexed with the left turn signal, one position on the head light switch, and one other input that I don't remember what it is). From the BCM it doesn't get any easier - there is logic in the BCM that determines if the headlights are on AND the fog light switch is on and if both are on it sends a signal over the CAN bus to the IDPM under the hood. The fog light relay is integrated in to the IPDM making it virtually impossible to connect to the coil of the relay. Out of the IPDM the fog lights are powered by two separate, but common, wires.

If you only want the lights to come on with the parking lights you can install a relay under the hood, power the contacts from the battery and feed both fog light wires AFTER you disconnect them from the IPDM (if you don't it will backfeed power in to the IPDM and do weird things like keep your ignition powered after you take the key off if the parking lights are still on). I would NOT recommend driving the fog lights directly off the parking light signal without a relay - the parking light circuit was never designed to drive two fog lights in addition to the parking lights.

Another thing you can is install a switch in the cabin and use it to drive the coil of a relay instead of the parking lights.

uzbeckuz did you get your module working? If the fogs turn on with both the turn signal and the fog light switch they connected one of the inputs incorrectly. Instead of the module looking at both sides of the multiplexed circuit the module is looking at one leg and most likely constant power on the other. Hooking it up like that will make the fog lights turn on with each different multiplexed input.

The KPtech module is not a very easy module to install. Most installers will not have the tool required to verify the multiplexed BCM wiring (an oscilloscope is needed). Since you are connected to data lines it can be difficult to verify and troubleshoot. The best thing to do is to have the BCM pinout for your exact year and model and make sure you connect to the correct pin numbers.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM
R1cky
Registered Member

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson_

uzbeckuz did you get your module working? If the fogs turn on with both the turn signal and the fog light switch they connected one of the inputs incorrectly. Instead of the module looking at both sides of the multiplexed circuit the module is looking at one leg and most likely constant power on the other. Hooking it up like that will make the fog lights turn on with each different multiplexed input.

The KPtech module is not a very easy module to install. Most installers will not have the tool required to verify the multiplexed BCM wiring (an oscilloscope is needed). Since you are connected to data lines it can be difficult to verify and troubleshoot. The best thing to do is to have the BCM pinout for your exact year and model and make sure you connect to the correct pin numbers.
Kevin, I have not had time to double check the wiring connected to the BCM. I'll u know as soon as I get to it...

Originally Posted by uzbekuz
Ricky does this happen to you on your sedan?
yea mine does the same thing... but i left the fogs on all the time
Old 12-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Great thread, just ordered this for my coupe

http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/12
Old 05-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
I just ordered this KP fog light module !
Old 05-30-2014, 02:52 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I just ordered this KP fog light module !
Let me know how easy the install is.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:37 AM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Take some pics of the install! The howto doesn't have any.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:55 AM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Surprised how complex this is. I did it on my Sentra and my Maxima buy just jumping a wire.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 AM
VQ-Vic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson_
The fog light circuit is overly complicated in the Gs. It has been that way since the beginning. The major issue is that the fog light switch is not a typical switch, but instead it is part of a multiplexed input system connected to the BCM (it is muliplexed with the left turn signal, one position on the head light switch, and one other input that I don't remember what it is). From the BCM it doesn't get any easier - there is logic in the BCM that determines if the headlights are on AND the fog light switch is on and if both are on it sends a signal over the CAN bus to the IDPM under the hood. The fog light relay is integrated in to the IPDM making it virtually impossible to connect to the coil of the relay. Out of the IPDM the fog lights are powered by two separate, but common, wires.

If you only want the lights to come on with the parking lights you can install a relay under the hood, power the contacts from the battery and feed both fog light wires AFTER you disconnect them from the IPDM (if you don't it will backfeed power in to the IPDM and do weird things like keep your ignition powered after you take the key off if the parking lights are still on). I would NOT recommend driving the fog lights directly off the parking light signal without a relay - the parking light circuit was never designed to drive two fog lights in addition to the parking lights.

Another thing you can is install a switch in the cabin and use it to drive the coil of a relay instead of the parking lights.

I've got a question you might be able to help me with.
I've got a Canadian G with the DRL, The DRL is run to my low beams. I've tried taking the DTRL fuse out and the low beams are still on. Is it programmed into the BCM? Or can I somehow tap into that current?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:28 PM
DBall

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blueis300
Surprised how complex this is. I did it on my Sentra and my Maxima buy just jumping a wire.
It seems like the fog lights simply need to be somehow connected to the battery so that when the car is turned on, the fog lights go on. I, too, am surprised how difficult it is... (disclaimer: don't take that to mean I'm gonna start moving wires and engineering a solution or anything. I've got no idea what the hell I'm doing... )
Old 05-29-2015, 11:05 AM
Santo542

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So has anyone figured out how to make your fogs stay on without your low beams?
Old 05-29-2015, 11:24 AM
NickyP

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you read through the thread? You can hook them up to parking lights instead of low-beams to have them run that way. Or you can check out a site that does after market fogs (like Diode Dynamics, not a plug per se, but I know they have instructions) or the DIY subforum section here and you can hook up fog lights to their own circuit. Typically it is done for people who want to run fogs as a show-light system so that they can have crazy colors and what not when sitting parked but not need the head/parking lights on.
The following users liked this post:
Santo542 (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 01:40 PM
Santo542

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info! I read through the thread and most people suggest the KP technologies module, but I read their installation instructions and it looks a little too complex for me (need to solder and an oscilloscope).
Old 05-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Alcaponed

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Kind of a dumb question I guess, but does this mean I can have driving lights while the auto headlights are enabled? This is the ultimate goal but I wanted to make sure before I get the module.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Laguna

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another dumb question: why would anybody want to have the fog lights without the low beams? (i'm not saying that you're wrong, i just don't understand)

Quick Reply: Fog lights on without headlights...