Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Fog lights on without headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by 10Gee37exeS
No pressure...nooooo pressure at all....OK gonna go take a look-see as soon as this episode of Walking Dead is over....
You da man. Unless you don't figure it out, in which case you will not be da man anymore.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:33 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You da man. Unless you don't figure it out, in which case you will not be da man anymore.

When there's a will there's a way...And I'm all about cheap, yet quality, mods...Plus I've rigged almost all my cars this way. I liked the look with driving lights only on and the option to turn them off....
Old 10-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
When there's a will there's a way...And I'm all about cheap, yet quality, mods...Plus I've rigged almost all my cars this way. I liked the look with driving lights only on and the option to turn them off....
same here btw I just noticed you're from NJ too , where to be exact?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 AM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
same here btw I just noticed you're from NJ too , where to be exact?
Originally, GSP Exit 135-137, Cranford (still work up near there) now Exit 117, Keyport. You?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Anyone know if the front turn signals can be wired to be off with the headlight on, but blink when the turn indicator is used? Also the sidemarker light at the top of the headlight? Think it would look much cleaner if the amber lights would be off unless needed for use to signal a turn...if you notice, many higher end cars in recent years have a design with only the headlight on until a turn is being signaled

If possible, can someone post a schematic of the circuit that would need modification? Not at all new to circuits, but new to auto electronics. Thanks

OP, apologies for the side track
Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Mik3G37S

Originally, GSP Exit 135-137, Cranford (still work up near there) now Exit 117, Keyport. You?
HA WTF! I'm right off 137 in Linden Lol ! haha
Old 10-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Anyone know if the front turn signals can be wired to be off with the headlight on, but blink when the turn indicator is used? Also the sidemarker light at the top of the headlight? Think it would look much cleaner if the amber lights would be off unless needed for use to signal a turn...if you notice, many higher end cars in recent years have a design with only the headlight on until a turn is being signaled

If possible, can someone post a schematic of the circuit that would need modification? Not at all new to circuits, but new to auto electronics. Thanks

I think it is possible for the turn signal to be off with the headlight on but blink when the turn indicator is used because I have seen one nice Stanced G37S sedan on my way back from Brooklyn once and he only had his low beams on, no side marker like me but also no parking light at all.

In my case I have my switchbacks to match with my headlights and my fogs and the option of only having the switchbacks on with my fogs at the same time and I love it
Old 10-14-2013, 01:20 AM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
HA WTF! I'm right off 137 in Linden Lol ! haha
Nice! I work right in Rahway!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 AM
10Gee37exeS

Not sure how much things have changed...But on my M3 I did this by pulling one of the wires that went to the bulb connector...It only went on when I signaled or turned on my hazards....I've always liked the "on-off-on-off" look better than the "on-dim-on-dim" look of blinkers....But I think haivng them dim and on is part of the "safety" measures of the parking lights...so if your headlight does go out, it's not totally black on that side of the car...Safety shmaftey!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:58 AM
Mik3G37S

Nice! I work right in Rahway!
sorry for side track aswell, but we definitely need to meet up sometime haha , there is another member on here from Linden , espimax, he has a nice 37S coupe
Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Not sure how much things have changed...But on my M3 I did this by pulling one of the wires that went to the bulb connector...It only went on when I signaled or turned on my hazards....I've always liked the "on-off-on-off" look better than the "on-dim-on-dim" look of blinkers....But I think haivng them dim and on is part of the "safety" measures of the parking lights...so if your headlight does go out, it's not totally black on that side of the car...Safety shmaftey!
My sentiments Exactly! And I'm hoping it's just as simple a fix for the G as your BMW (either at the fixture itself or a fuse/terminal panel)

I think that wiring the sidemarker and turn signal in this way, as well as install the switchback LEDs (to eliminate the amber bulb reflection when off) would clean up the look of the headlights tremendously, esp without having to do much. Subtle but effectively removing the ambler color from the headlights unless you need it. I get your visibility argument, and I don't intend to marginalize safety, but I think the difference is negligible.

Any member have experience with this mod, or better yet an OEM or custom schematic?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:11 AM
10Gee37exeS

My sentiments Exactly! And I'm hoping it's just as simple a fix for the G as your BMW (either at the fixture itself or a fuse/terminal panel)

I think that wiring the sidemarker and turn signal in this way, as well as install the switchback LEDs (to eliminate the amber bulb reflection when off) would clean up the look of the headlights tremendously, esp without having to do much. Subtle but effectively removing the ambler color from the headlights unless you need it. I get your visibility argument, and I don't intend to marginalize safety, but I think the difference is negligible.

Any member have experience with this mod, or better yet an OEM or custom schematic?
I hear ya...I've had it that way with my M3 for years...Never had a safety issue with it..Plus I'm so **** with making sure all my lights work that I'll never run into that issue..Plus the M3 has the quad headlights (separate High Beams on each side) and I had Euro lights which had the aux "city lights" in the high beams. I also added DRLs that went on when the parking brake was released...So even if I had a headlight go out, it would never be dark on any side of my car But yeah one of these days I gotta roll my sleeves up and do a little dissecting...Cars were so much easier to work on before the turn of this century (and before I got OLD! Dem bones, muscles, and back hurt now!)! The good old days of OBDI too! **sigh**
Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts

That's easy. Buy a 7440 bulb. That is a single filament versus the 7443 dual filament bulb. Just did the very same last weekend.

You can see with the head & fog lights off only the city lights (LED) are on. Than with the head & fog lights on the turn/parking lights are still off.
Attached Thumbnails Fog lights on without headlights...-1394060_10151960901312053_140965918_n.jpg   Fog lights on without headlights...-1378577_10151960900737053_1530626819_n.jpg  
Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 PM
SkylineG

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey guys a little help. I got my LED parking lights and wanted to use that as my DRL. But the halogen fogs keep coming on with it and there is no way to have just the parking lights on during the day.

At nigth it is fine because only the parking lights light up with my projectors. Any suggestions? Much appreciated.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 PM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by Robert_K
That's easy. Buy a 7440 bulb. That is a single filament versus the 7443 dual filament bulb. Just did the very same last weekend.

You can see with the head & fog lights off only the city lights (LED) are on. Than with the head & fog lights on the turn/parking lights are still off.
Awesome! Thanks! Saves me lots of time. Oh and that first picture you posted with just the parking lights on would look sooo cool if the fog/driving lights were able to be on too....When is that guy gonna get on that??!?!? Oooohhh...That guy was me Sorry guys..been dragging my feet...Work really sucks the life outta me.

Last edited by 10Gee37exeS; 10-17-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog lights on without headlights...