Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Headlights went out

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 02:30 PM
601x106

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights went out

So the dealership asked for 382$ for new bulb or 800$ to replace the ballast. 140$ to check which problem it is. Is this overpriced?
Old 09-20-2013, 03:10 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Is both headlights out or just one side? Is that 382$ for one bulb they quoted you on? It only cost 126$ per side online

2011 Infiniti G37 Parts - Infiniti parts

I tried to search but I'm not sure if you could buy the ballast by itself. The 800$ sounds like an entire replacement head lamp. You could either search junk yard, or find someone on the private classified with used headlights and see if they will part out the ballast.

Edit: I did a quick search some more. Here are the ballast on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matsu****a-H...126fdf&vxp=mtr
Old 09-20-2013, 03:59 PM
601x106

its just one side. Um he told me if it is the ballast you have to replace the whole headlamp thing. The price is plus labor.

Last edited by 601x106; 09-20-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Kevalteam

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts
DIY~ ebay ballast. they are trying to rape you~
Or if do not feel safe doing it yourself, ask for help( friend, local G club)

Good luck but do not pay them $800 for ballast. you can get used headlight left and right for $800-1200......
Old 09-20-2013, 05:20 PM
601x106

Originally Posted by Kevalteam
DIY~ ebay ballast. they are trying to rape you~
Or if do not feel safe doing it yourself, ask for help( friend, local G club)

Good luck but do not pay them $800 for ballast. you can get used headlight left and right for $800-1200......
Mmk, Ill that that thanks!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:41 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Is both headlights out or just one side? Is that 382$ for one bulb they quoted you on? It only cost 126$ per side online

2011 Infiniti G37 Parts - Infiniti parts

I tried to search but I'm not sure if you could buy the ballast by itself. The 800$ sounds like an entire replacement head lamp. You could either search junk yard, or find someone on the private classified with used headlights and see if they will part out the ballast.

Edit: I did a quick search some more. Here are the ballast on eBay.

matsu****a ballast | eBay

Matsu****a HID Xenon D2S D2R Healight Ballast with Bulb Nissan Infiniti | eBay

Not sure if used electronics is the way to go.

Sounds like alot of labor; it would be a real bitch to go through all that trouble just to have the replacement part blow out...
Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Well I don't think you could purchase the ballast new itself. This is your best option. Shelling out 800$ for one new headlight is ridiculous. Take your bulbs out and switch passenger/driver side bulb to see if it is the bulb. If that doesn't work do the same with and switch ballast. I don't see anything wrong with buying a used ballast as long as it works. It's not that often that a ballast/bulb actually goes out.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:29 PM
bluntz617
Banned

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2 new ballast for 110.. I think mine just went out and prob will go this route
Morimoto 3Five Ballasts (D2S) - HID Ballasts from The Retrofit Source Inc
Old 09-22-2013, 03:52 AM
dragtek1

^I'd definitely recommend those ballasts. I went with the 5Five ballast and XB35 bulbs, but Phillips or Osram bulbs would be superior in lumen output. Keep in mind, if you fried your old ballast, it's possible you may need to replace the fuse as well. We installed the new ballasts and one of them wasn't firing. Took us a minute to figure out one of the fuses blew.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 PM
1G372nv

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
I have some FS! Like two or three maybe have to check. Pm me.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:36 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Well I don't think you could purchase the ballast new itself. This is your best option. Shelling out 800$ for one new headlight is ridiculous. Take your bulbs out and switch passenger/driver side bulb to see if it is the bulb. If that doesn't work do the same with and switch ballast. I don't see anything wrong with buying a used ballast as long as it works. It's not that often that a ballast/bulb actually goes out.

Good suggestion on the trouble-shooting; always smart to know what's what before buying parts.

Not sure about the ballast/bulb comment; seems the bulb is the less robust part here and more likely to fail, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Wreckreation

Probably a different issue but I have had my headlights on auto for the last 18 months. One went out the other day and I about lost my mind since I got new bulbs <1yr ago. I flicked my headlights off, then back on, and to my surprise it came back on. It has been doing this consistently now for a few weeks but if i dont turn them off and then back on it wont come on even after shutting off my car. IDK what it is but Im making an appt with the dealership to get it looked at (extended warranty )
Old 09-23-2013, 04:07 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by Wreckreation
Probably a different issue but I have had my headlights on auto for the last 18 months. One went out the other day and I about lost my mind since I got new bulbs <1yr ago. I flicked my headlights off, then back on, and to my surprise it came back on. It has been doing this consistently now for a few weeks but if i dont turn them off and then back on it wont come on even after shutting off my car. IDK what it is but Im making an appt with the dealership to get it looked at (extended warranty )
Why did you replce the bulbs? Are the new ones OEM or aftermarket?
Old 09-25-2013, 03:06 AM
Wreckreation

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Why did you replce the bulbs? Are the new ones OEM or aftermarket?
Aftermarket, I wanted a whiter light so I had to go with a higher Kelvin bulb.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 AM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What year is your car and why is the ballast not covered under warranty? You should try changing bulbs. I bought new bulbs 6000K instead of the factory 4300K from www.lumenshid.com The bulbs were $70 a pair! They also sell factory replacement ballasts. Do not get sucked in to paying more than that. Lumens is a very high quality product. Their main factory is located in Ontario, Canada and they use only very high quality parts. For example their HID bulbs use Phillips quartz glass, pure mercury and Sylvania parts and their sockets are from the same factory in Japan that use the special high temperature thermoplastic (PPS) that is used in our OEM bulbs. They also use the Messer Xenon Gas (high purity). It is possible to get a brand new bulb that is defective but that's rare. Also the manufacture OEM replacement ballasts. You can find NEW Infiniti OEM replacement ballasts on EBAY too. ...much less expensive than the stealerships!

Quick Reply: Headlights went out