Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

G37 Leather Deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 PM
jms515

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37 Leather Deteriorating

I have a 2009 G37S Vert that is still under warranty with 25k and in service date in 2010.

I am 2nd owner and when I purchased the car I noticed a crease in the driver side seat cushion but did not think much of it. The crease seems to be separating and another crease seems to be forming.

I showed it to an interior refinishing mechanic that does work for dealers and his thoughts were that I should it bring it back to dealer.

Sales manager, said yeah it should not wear like that but leather is not covered - spoke to asst mgr. I read that some people with FX model had same issue and had it covered.

I am guessing I will try and fight it a bit but it sucks, only 25K and seat degrading, I think same thing will eventually happen to passenger side.

In the picture the deeper crease is actually separated and the lighter crease looks like it will eventually separate. The leather is perforated by design and it looks like its somewhat deteriorating elsewhere too.
Attached Thumbnails G37 Leather Deteriorating-leatherdeteriorating.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
That doesn't look right. I would push it with my dealer.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:25 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jms515
I have a 2009 G37S Vert that is still under warranty with 25k and in service date in 2010.

I am 2nd owner and when I purchased the car I noticed a crease in the driver side seat cushion but did not think much of it. The crease seems to be separating and another crease seems to be forming.

I showed it to an interior refinishing mechanic that does work for dealers and his thoughts were that I should it bring it back to dealer.

Sales manager, said yeah it should not wear like that but leather is not covered - spoke to asst mgr. I read that some people with FX model had same issue and had it covered.

I am guessing I will try and fight it a bit but it sucks, only 25K and seat degrading, I think same thing will eventually happen to passenger side.

In the picture the deeper crease is actually separated and the lighter crease looks like it will eventually separate. The leather is perforated by design and it looks like its somewhat deteriorating elsewhere too.
Talk to the GM of the dealership - I am the original owner and my Vert is also 2009 and just hit 25K miles so the they are similar age, mileage and conceivably wear. My seat has a small crease (as leather will) but NOTHING like that!

If they are unwilling to budge, you can either go up the ladder to corporate or visit an auto upholstry shop - they should be able to either steam the seat and shrink it a bit or re-stitch a few seams to make it less noticable.
Good luck!

PS - Congrats on the new ride & welcome.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:18 PM
jms515

Local dealer service manager won't budge. says it's slits. Suggested I get another opinion from different dealer but of course his notes well be in computer under my vin
Old 08-09-2013, 04:02 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks stretched. Sitting on a wallet or cell phone daily might do it. Or you/previous owner has a boney butt.

The summer heat can help bring it back some form. One thing to be aware of with bottom seat cover replacement is that it won't look the same as the top part of the seat. IMO, it would look worse with it replaced.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:31 PM
RANDY350Z
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
They have to cover it, its a bumper to bumper warranty till 36000 miles. Call customer care, you will probably have to have their area service rep look at it. Or take it to another dealer and dont tell them what is going on at current dealer. I had my drivers seats replaced on my qx, it did the same thing. Worse case threaten to take them to small claims court, costs you 25.00 , and sue them for the parts and labor. I imaging the seat cover is around 700. Judge will rule in your favor on a case like that, as long as your car stays in warranty.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:36 PM
RANDY350Z
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
And you dont need an attorney either for small claims court. If they dont show, judge will rule in your favor and if no resolution is done within the time set by the judge you can show up at the dealer w/ a police officer and reposses equal value property. Cool huh!!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 PM
jms515

They replaced the whole seat bottom of the drivers side under warranty. I had to go to a 2nd dealer to get it approved. The rep claimed it cost like $2k.

They would not replace the passenger side. After driver side was approved, before I brought it in, I tried to push to get the passenger side done. Problem is since passenger side gets less wear the creases did not separate yet. Plus there is also a 1" slit that looks like it was cut by an object. See if you can notice it in the image on the right, not circled of course. The 1" slit is irrespective of the issue.

Here is the email and attached image correspondence with the service rep at the dealership for the passenger seat:
Had the service manager take a look, he advised me that he had noted at the first set of pictures that we would not be able to replace passenger seat leather, and after looking again has reaffirmed that position.

Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 9:33 PM
To: xxx
Subject: Passenger Seat Leather

Hi xxx,

Re: VIN: xxx

I circled the creases that are similar to the crease that separated on driver's seat that was already approved. Its just a matter of time before they get worse so I'd prefer to have it done in one shot , I do not mind waiting another week.
What's worse, is that the new seat bottom, it already looks like it will eventually happen again.
Attached Thumbnails G37 Leather Deteriorating-passenger_seat.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
realtor
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The leather in our cars is not the greatest or maybe the fit and finish? My g37 had 10 miles on it and had the complete rear seat replaced by the dealership. The leather was marbled with rough spots on one seat side.
My wife's g35 coupe, driver seat is worn, cushion under the leather from getting in and out of the car. Keep in mind she is 105 pounds and does not carry a wallet or anything in her back pockets. The seat has that wear and really after talking to a service tech for Infiniti it is quite common.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
This happens in other cars as well. My porsche has it, not as bad mind you but it does have the dimple on the drivers side seat. This is part of owning a car with leather seats. I think every single leather seat I have owned over the years has had the dimple to some degree.