Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Broken headlight housing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Phantom13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken headlight housing?

Hey guys, a friend and I were replacing my OEM headlight bulbs with 6000k bulbs and when we went to replace one of them a piece of the housing where the silver clamp goes broke. Does anyone know if this is fixable or am I going to have to buy a whole new housing?

I attached a picture of what I was referring to
Attached Thumbnails Broken headlight housing?-img_6982.jpg  
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantom13
Hey guys, a friend and I were replacing my OEM headlight bulbs with 6000k bulbs and when we went to replace one of them a piece of the housing where the silver clamp goes broke. Does anyone know if this is fixable or am I going to have to buy a whole new housing?

I attached a picture of what I was referring to
Looks as if the tab that holds the wire has broken off which keeps the bulb in place.

If possible, try and see if you can create another tab by cutting/grinding a notch for the wire to sit back in.
You will also need to re-bend the wire in order to produce pressure onto the bulb when the bulb is back in the headlight.
This will take some trial & error to get it exactly correct.

Mine was damaged on the driver's side the same way when I had my OSRAM XENARC 66240 CBI 5000K bulbs installed.
The shop had to perform this procedure and now everything is fine.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:27 AM
Phantom13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dragion
Looks as if the tab that holds the wire has broken off which keeps the bulb in place.

If possible, try and see if you can create another tab by cutting/grinding a notch for the wire to sit back in.
You will also need to re-bend the wire in order to produce pressure onto the bulb when the bulb is back in the headlight.
This will take some trial & error to get it exactly correct.

Mine was damaged on the driver's side the same way when I had my OSRAM XENARC 66240 CBI 5000K bulbs installed.
The shop had to perform this procedure and now everything is fine.
Thanks for the response. Did the shop glue something into place and then tried to grind it out to make a new tab or did they just use what was left to try to make the tab? I would be afraid that I would make more of a mess of it than it already is. I have thought about taking it to the dealership to see if they could fix it, but I'm afraid to since they just quoted me over $500 to replace brake pads and machine my rotors, and $800+ to install Swift springs. I'm hoping to avoid them if at all possible.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:13 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantom13
Thanks for the response. Did the shop glue something into place and then tried to grind it out to make a new tab or did they just use what was left to try to make the tab? I would be afraid that I would make more of a mess of it than it already is. I have thought about taking it to the dealership to see if they could fix it, but I'm afraid to since they just quoted me over $500 to replace brake pads and machine my rotors, and $800+ to install Swift springs. I'm hoping to avoid them if at all possible.
The shop just reproduced another slot from what was left.
I would advise not to let the dealer know...they would just have you purchase another housing or headlight.

Is there anyone in your area that might be able to help you do this repair?
This would be the best bet.