Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

New G37 owner here...suggestions for seat comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 PM
onthefence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks -

thanks for your input last fall.

Despite my user name, I am no longer on the fence. Last Monday I took delivery on a 2013 G37 6MT sedan, graphite/stone. Trying to break the engine in properly, but I don't know what the outcome will be: it already had 193 miles on it when I bought it, apparently having been through a few test drives over the past several months. Time will tell on that one, I guess.

I will see if I can get used to the clutch, but it's nice to know that there are steps I can take to modify it if need be.

OK, enough babble. Wife and I took our first drive of any length yesterday (50 miles to lunch, 50 miles back), and the seats are, uh...firm. Really firm. And they squeeze my butt together pretty snugly. Great for stability during short sporty runs, but I'm wondering how it'll feel on a possible trip from Ann Arbor to Chicago next month.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for seat comfort when I'm [i]not[i] driving like I'm at Laguna Seca? I'm envisioning a thin cushion (maybe 1"?) that lifts me up so the bolsters aren't squeezing me in so snugly. Anyone seen something like that, or have any other ideas?

Thanks...
Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 PM
vivema

CONGRATS and welcome to the forum. I love my G & know youll love yours also.
About the seat, Not to be a smart a$$ or anything, but I know the sport seats have switches on the sides where you can adjust the bolstering, have you set them to the lowest level?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Remove some air from both bolsters. Also, the right side of the seat has a manual lumbar adjustment. Play with that til you're satisfied. The seats will take some getting used/breaking in too. Other than when I do a long trip down south/east, the air pressure in the bolsters stays low.

Many of us have done serious miles with these seats without issue. If you're used to a much softer seat, this will take some getting used to.

As for the clutch, most will attest in stock form feel sucks big time. I started messing with mine within a week of buying the car (20 miles on the odo when I got it).
Old 03-11-2013, 04:46 AM
onthefence

Originally Posted by vivema
About the seat, Not to be a smart a$$ or anything, but I know the sport seats have switches on the sides where you can adjust the bolstering, have you set them to the lowest level?
Ayup, the air bolsters (seat-pan and seat-back) are as empty as I can get them. The seat pan air bolsters seem to work near the front of the seat pan (close to my knees); the squeeze I'm feeling is near the back, closer to my tailbone.

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Also, the right side of the seat has a manual lumbar adjustment. Play with that til you're satisfied. The seats will take some getting used/breaking in too. Other than when I do a long trip down south/east, the air pressure in the bolsters stays low.
Yep, I like a lot of lumbar support; I have that maxed out, just like I did on my previous car. Back pain isn't the issue though; the discomfort is in my buttocks and thighs.

I guess I'll take my time with it. I've only put a couple hundred miles on it since I got it; I'll see what it feels like after 1000 miles or so.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 AM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't mess up the look of the inside with a seat cushion!!!...
Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Costco had a 1" memory foam black cushion for about $20, got one for my office chair.

The seats do take some time to get used to, I found that when adjusting raising the front of the seat up and lowering the rear part helped a lot with the comfort. I'd just sit in the car and play with all the settings until you find a good spot to sit. The best position I found unfortunately makes my head hit the roof, so I had to lower the seat slightly from there. This car was originally designed for the Japanese market (in general smaller people than Americans) and it really shows in this department.

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,650 Likes on 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by onthefence
the seats are, uh...firm. Really firm. And they squeeze my butt together pretty snugly.
When buying my 6MT Sedan, I was pretty concerned about that, too. I've never owned a car with seats like this, and was wondering how I was going to live with it, even after extending the sides as far as they would go.

You'll be happy to know that you and your body get used to it pretty quick. In fact, after a month or two, I found myself bringing the sides back in a little bit more and more. And now when I get into a car without sport seats, I really don't like it. Feels like a lawn-chair. (For perspective, I'm 5'10", 190 pounds, 49 years old, and these jeans make me look fat.)

You've bought a respectable and very unique automobile. Well done, OP.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:37 PM
INFINITI G37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I had the same problem in my first long trip with the car.. I had severe rt thigh pain radiating to lower leg .. and started to hate the car..
I cannot drive for 20 minutes without getting the pain actually..

but I solved the issue by getting a small square cushion (as u already mentioned) about 1-2 inches in thickness, and the problem is... GONE for good .. now I am having trips for 4 continuous hours and I am totally comfortable
Old 01-29-2016, 07:05 PM
2K937S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by onthefence
Hey folks -

thanks for your input last fall.

Despite my user name, I am no longer on the fence. Last Monday I took delivery on a 2013 G37 6MT sedan, graphite/stone. Trying to break the engine in properly, but I don't know what the outcome will be: it already had 193 miles on it when I bought it, apparently having been through a few test drives over the past several months. Time will tell on that one, I guess.

I will see if I can get used to the clutch, but it's nice to know that there are steps I can take to modify it if need be.

OK, enough babble. Wife and I took our first drive of any length yesterday (50 miles to lunch, 50 miles back), and the seats are, uh...firm. Really firm. And they squeeze my butt together pretty snugly. Great for stability during short sporty runs, but I'm wondering how it'll feel on a possible trip from Ann Arbor to Chicago next month.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for seat comfort when I'm [i]not[i] driving like I'm at Laguna Seca? I'm envisioning a thin cushion (maybe 1"?) that lifts me up so the bolsters aren't squeezing me in so snugly. Anyone seen something like that, or have any other ideas?

Thanks...
I realize this is a really old thread but I've encountered the same issue and thought I would comment on it. I just stepped on the side bolster closest to the drivers door and bounced til the metal rod bent enough for a world of difference.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Habbibie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How about you swap your seats with that of a journey.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:15 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Habbibie
How about you swap your seats with that of a journey.
People should be all over that swap I would think. If not I have a set of journey seats in the garage I'll be listing again soon.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:14 PM
2K937S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
People should be all over that swap I would think. If not I have a set of journey seats in the garage I'll be listing again soon.
Money talks, how much of ones money needs to speak in order to acquire these journey seats?
Old 01-31-2016, 11:32 AM
PGg35s

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When I got my G I took a trip from Indianapolis to Florida. I have a g35xs so I'm not sure if the sport seats in the 3.5 are different in the 3.7 but they are extremely firm and after only about an hour and a half of driving my back and legs were killing me. I literally had to take my girlfriends pillow and sit on it the entire way down there. I even adjusted the seats the best I could. Almost 13 hours of driving and I can say that I wish I had got the non-sport G. I love the seats to death when driving aggressively but in my opinion the sport seats aren't made for long distance driving. Has anyone else had this problem? Also I'm 21 years old and no back problems or anything.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:18 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
My sport seats got more comfortable as I sat in them. From 18k to 34k miles now...It's much easier to sit in the car long distances.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:29 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by 2K937S
Money talks, how much of ones money needs to speak in order to acquire these journey seats?
I was thinking to list them for $400 OBO

Quick Reply: New G37 owner here...suggestions for seat comfort?