Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Replaced steering wheel trim on G37S coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replaced steering wheel trim on G37S coupe

I replaced the trim on my steering wheel today. I followed the instructions in the DIY thread and I ordered the trim piece from Circle Infiniti in NJ. They have them on eBay ($30). It went well, but I stripped the internal splines on the Torx airbag bolt on the left side of the steering wheel. I drilled out the head and unscrewed the stud left behind. I used another bolt I had left over from work on other Asian cars. There is not an Infiniti dealer in town, so I ordered the bolt from Anderson Nissan (82¢). The car is drivable, but the airbag system is such a critical system I felt it necessary to put in the "correct bolt".

If I had it to do over I would align the steering wheel straight ahead before I disconnect the battery. Once the power is off, the wheel won't turn. That was partly responsible for me not aligning the Torx wrench with the bolt.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
jaykellogg

I got the correct screw, but now I have another problem. The one touch up doesn't work on the windows and when I open the door, the window goes down and does not come back up. If I park in the rain, I have to park with the window down.

OK, I got it figured out. In the owner's manual it says to start the engine, raise the window and hold the switch for more than three seconds. I did that and now both the windows operate "normally".

Last edited by jaykellogg; 01-30-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 PM
MYG376MT
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaykellogg
I replaced the trim on my steering wheel today. I followed the instructions in the DIY thread and I ordered the trim piece from Circle Infiniti in NJ. They have them on eBay ($30). It went well, but I stripped the internal splines on the Torx airbag bolt on the left side of the steering wheel. I drilled out the head and unscrewed the stud left behind. I used another bolt I had left over from work on other Asian cars. There is not an Infiniti dealer in town, so I ordered the bolt from Anderson Nissan (82¢). The car is drivable, but the airbag system is such a critical system I felt it necessary to put in the "correct bolt".

If I had it to do over I would align the steering wheel straight ahead before I disconnect the battery. Once the power is off, the wheel won't turn. That was partly responsible for me not aligning the Torx wrench with the bolt.
Is this a revised bezel? Do you think it will scratch just as easily as before?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 PM
jaykellogg

On another thread here someone wrote that the new bezels are revised and supposed to not scratch. I had been thinking of just painting it till then.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM
jaykellogg

I took a few minutes to replace the screw in the airbag with the correct one. I disconnected the battery just in case. It is all done now and I am happy with it.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 PM
chanellyxkc

I am trying to replace my steering wheel trim also because its starting to chip, but when I look it up on Ebay they sell one WITH Tech Package and one without. Not sure which one to get =/
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM
dtran2714
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chanellyxkc
I am trying to replace my steering wheel trim also because its starting to chip, but when I look it up on Ebay they sell one WITH Tech Package and one without. Not sure which one to get =/
Does your car have cruise control with distance sensors? If yes, then it's the Tech package.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Jamler

Originally Posted by dtran2714
Does your car have cruise control with distance sensors? If yes, then it's the Tech package.

I've got the Tech package... What is the replacement? Can anybody post pic? I want to do this as mine is chipping and looks crappy. I was going to
get the CF Bezel I've seen offered here, but no can find anybody doing that anymore?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 AM
black fx-45

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got mine done for free i have a extended warranty on my car dealer put as trouble in steering wheel.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:50 AM
G37FrEEk

had mine done for free to thanks to warranty