Body Interior Exterior Lighting

2010 G37X Water leak behind glove box when it rains/car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 AM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem found

So the dealership was able to find the source of the leak. With the glove box and blower fan motor removed from the inside, they were able to replicate the leak quite easily. With one guy in the inside of the car observing the cabin air intake hole, the other poured water down the windshield with the cowl fully assembled and hood fully in place, water was just falling into the cabin air intake hole.

So the question was why is the water being redirected straight into intake hole and not to the sides? From the outside, they discovered a big part of the rubber windshield seal was missing/damaged, right in front of the cabin air intake hole. It’s kind of hard to see, but it’s underneath the bottom of the windshield. To clarify, it’s not the polyurethane seal that’s used to hold the windshield in place because that seal was fully intact hence the reason why the soap air tests indicated no leaks.

The dealership said that when the windshield company initially replaced the windshield, they butchered the rubber seal and didn’t realize it. So the dealership was able to use this rubber seal compound to fill in what was damaged/missing. They ran the water tests again and the water is now properly being redirected to the sides like it’s supposed to. This solves the problem for now but I will eventually have to get a new rubber seal installed.

Regards,
Tony
The following users liked this post:
DJMAC (06-27-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:21 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Glad to hear that it has been resolved Tony.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:09 AM
buremarey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The windshield company I used is the same company that Infiniti uses locally to replace all their windshield for all their Infiniti vehicles.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:40 PM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

Trust me, I am beyond relieved that the problem was found and it's now resolved. I have been through so much inconvenience trying to get this replaced.

Originally Posted by dragion
Glad to hear that it has been resolved Tony.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I had the same issue on my G35 coupe back in the day. I didn't remember exactly what the solution was but it was related to a rubber seal after windshield replacement.

Glad to hear you got yours fixed too
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 PM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

You think the windshield company would have known to look at the rubber seal but I guess that's asking too much.

That was probably the most frustrating experience I've ever had with any car.

I'm just extremely happy that the leak has been rectified.

Thanks for the advice/support guys, it was much needed.

Thanks again,
Tony

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I had the same issue on my G35 coupe back in the day. I didn't remember exactly what the solution was but it was related to a rubber seal after windshield replacement.

Glad to hear you got yours fixed too
Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM
BlueSlateG37S

Pictures?

Any chance you can post pictures of the seal you're talking about? I'm having the same problem now but, my car isn't under warranty anymore and I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

Thanks,

-David
Old 09-04-2015, 12:45 PM
ZachThomas
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BlueSlateG37S
Any chance you can post pictures of the seal you're talking about? I'm having the same problem now but, my car isn't under warranty anymore and I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

Thanks,

-David
I am also looking for this picture. It looks like there should be two pieces of foam inside the seal-edge on the cowl on either side of the cabin air vent, and there is only one piece. I am trying to figure out whether I'm right, and where to put it. Scouring google images didn't seem to produce anything with detail on the seal area, so if someone has a photo lying around that would be outstanding.

I was able to reduce the invasion to just a few droplets under heavy water load, but I'm shooting for zero . I somehow also had my passenger side drain hose kinked so badly that it wasn't flowing. I massaged that back to life and it's flowing great now.