Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Parking and fog lights staying on

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 PM
OnlyNismo
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Parking and fog lights staying on

I always keep my lights on "Auto". When my room mate came home last night, he told me that my lights were still on so when I went down to the garage and checked, my parking lights and fog lights were still on. Toggling through the light switches didn't work so I had to remove the negative terminal on the battery to shut them off. They were on for about 3 hours so it drained my battery.

Has anyone else had this issue before or have any idea might have gone wrong? If the auto light sensor is broken, my headlights would have still been on...
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 PM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
The fog lights can't be turned on without the primary headlights... Do you know if the lights/wiring were modified at all?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Weaverama

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same issue with my lights but it began when my two sons and Ii got in it one cold morning. I pushed the ignition button just as my son was closing the passenger door. I recollect that I might have hit the ignition button twice accidentally, missing on the first try (kind of foggy on this). But at that point the starter did not engage and the dash lights froze as did the parking lights and fog lights. It was as if the engine electronics were frozen and there was no way to unfreeze them by jiggling switches, checking the car alarm, opening/closing doors, or just trying the normal start up procedures. I too ended up pulling the negative terminal and it has been fine for the last three weeks. I should have checked it for codes but recently reset the ECU.

If it happens again it will go back to the dealer on a roll back but I see no way to duplicate this problem for them to analyze. Maybe it was the perfect storm of start up stupidity that froze the system. I just don't know and hope it is never duplicated. If anyone else has heard of this malady, please let me and the OP know.

Weaverama
2011 g37xS
Old 01-20-2013, 01:23 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The lights in auto not turning off happened twice this winter for people at work, both non-Infiniti rides.

<o</o

Both went out at lunch time to dead batteries.

<o</o

It is to the point I do not even bother telling people their lights are on (although I did for the second incident), because I most always hear – “They will turn off by themselves.”

<o</o

They are electro-mechanical devices, which do fail.

<o</o

Odds are they will not fail, but if you want to risk going out when it is10 degrees with a wind chill of minus 20 to a dead battery, keep the lights in auto.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 PM
OnlyNismo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JMS2000
The fog lights can't be turned on without the primary headlights... Do you know if the lights/wiring were modified at all?
I installed my intake two weeks ago..none of the wiring was touched though. I would think if it was something that happened during my install, I would have seen the problem sooner?

I thought it was odd too that the fog lights stayed on without the head lights on.

Originally Posted by Weaverama

If it happens again it will go back to the dealer on a roll back but I see no way to duplicate this problem for them to analyze. Maybe it was the perfect storm of start up stupidity that froze the system. I just don't know and hope it is never duplicated. If anyone else has heard of this malady, please let me and the OP know.

Weaverama
2011 g37xS
I was going to bring it in to the dealership too but I don't know how to duplicate the problem.

Right now, everything is turning off with it in "Auto" mode.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:40 AM
smethbet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
OnlyNismo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by smethbet
Which part do you think failed? The switch? The sensor? If I brought it to the dealership, would they be able to test what part failed?

I have a 2012 btw.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another one bites the dust.

<oVictim number three this season of “Oh they will turn off by themselves”.</o
<o</o
<oQuite a good day for a dead battery. The wind chill lightened up a bit to -1.</o

Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
And speaking of computers, that's most likely what is causing the problem here. Remember all those nice little crashes we get with a Microsoft computer for no apparent reason. Well most likely all those little sensors out there are constantly being polled and sending data back to the computer telling it what's going on. If somehow you try to do a few things, like start the car while also trying to roll down the window as you turn on the radio or the lights are in auto and they are sending back info whether it's light or dark, sometimes one of those little interrupts gets in the way of what the computer really should be doing and then....., you are now experiencing a computer which is not sure what the next step should be and it may do nothing, or worse, something you don't want it to do. As much as we like to think that computers are the great multi-taskers of the universe, even they can't handle all the possible inputs going on from all the different sources especially from those "humans" who are their boss. Even turning a car "OFF" can cause problems if it has to look at some sensors out there before it shuts everything down. So now we have to hope a reset will fix the computer's confusion and that all the other sensors and such will also come to their senses and work as they should and so on. In most cases that's all it will take, if you're lucky. If not, then it's back to the dealer to let him find out why everything had to be designed with the computer being involved.

Sorry for ranting here, and I do love my car, especially given I just got rid of a Volvo for the Infiniti. But sometimes you have to wonder if they've gone too far the other way. I hope you fix the problem and it cost you little to nothing.

Al
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^There's a technical term for that. It's called a 'glitch'
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i drive with my parking lights on, leave it like that went I shut my car off and let the battery drain protection feature do its work. Never had any problem, been doing this with my previous 08 coupe.