Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

HELP: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI Upgrade...Something isn't right!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:23 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I know Infiniti of Norwood is willing to do it, and I also called and Herb Chambers Infiniti was also willing to do any non OEM upgrades.

The problem is that they charge $125 an hour for labor.
Unfortunately, both of them are horrible for service!
I've had bad service from both of them in the past...I only bring my Infiniti to Kelly Infiniti in Danvers.
More professional compared to Herb & Norwood.

The only negative is that they just don't work with non OEM parts.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:33 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dragion
Unfortunately, both of them are horrible for service!
I've had bad service from both of them in the past...I only bring my Infiniti to Kelly Infiniti in Danvers.
More professional compared to Herb & Norwood.

The only negative is that they just don't work with non OEM parts.
Ohh..interesting. Herb is a little shady shop that shares with Honda. With Norwood, I never felt them as terrible service. I've used them to do warranty work for my car in the past and it has been fine.

I've never been to Kelly, but maybe I might give them a try for more complicated stuff.

What did JT Motoring offer to do for you? Are you getting any compensation for them breaking your tabs?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Ohh..interesting. Herb is a little shady shop that shares with Honda. With Norwood, I never felt them as terrible service. I've used them to do warranty work for my car in the past and it has been fine.

I've never been to Kelly, but maybe I might give them a try for more complicated stuff.

What did JT Motoring offer to do for you? Are you getting any compensation for them breaking your tabs?
Kelly Infiniti has been my dealer/service for both of my previous FX's and always was well taken care of.
Been to Norwood for a FX and felt that they were full of it...didn't feel comfortable with their offer.
Had oil changed performed once there and they didn't have the dipstick inserted correctly and oil splashed all over my Crawford Plenum and LMS intake.

Herb in Boston/Allston are crooks!
Stole my change and a CD while having service done.
Service prices are higher than other dealerships.
There sales department is no better.

As far as JT goes...
No compensation, but agreed to correct the problem regarding the broken clip...not sure what Brian is going to do.
I will make sure that I understand everything that is being done before any work is started on it.
Since I'm leasing, I need things as stock as possible.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dragion
Kelly Infiniti has been my dealer/service for both of my previous FX's and always was well taken care of.
Been to Norwood for a FX and felt that they were full of it...didn't feel comfortable with their offer.
Had oil changed performed once there and they didn't have the dipstick inserted correctly and oil splashed all over my Crawford Plenum and LMS intake.

Herb in Boston/Allston are crooks!
Stole my change and a CD while having service done.
Service prices are higher than other dealerships.
There sales department is no better.

As far as JT goes...
No compensation, but agreed to correct the problem regarding the broken clip...not sure what Brian is going to do.
I will make sure that I understand everything that is being done before any work is started on it.
Since I'm leasing, I need things as stock as possible.
You should watch JT fix your car, that's how I usually like doing, just to make sure they don't screw up something behind your back and try to throw blame around.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 AM
dragion
Registered Member

You should watch JT fix your car, that's how I usually like doing, just to make sure they don't screw up something behind your back and try to throw blame around.
They have a strict policy (insurance) regarding non-employees in their work area (garage).
But considering my situation, I'm going to request Brian to let me watch while the work is being performed...I can't afford another mistake!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to a car bodyshop and had the electrician/bodyman change it for me in 30 minutes.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Sorry here you guys up in north having so much issues with the dealers.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 PM
dragion
Registered Member

UPDATE:

Went to JT Motoring this morning and met up with Brian.
Brian carefully examined the damaged clip and came up with a solution.
He removed the spring clip and adjusted the clip at certain areas to change the tension and position in order for the clip to maintain pressure so the bulb stays in the correct position.
He also made another notch for the clip to lock into.

End results is that the Osram CBI bulb is now correctly clipped & locked in place.

He corrected/aligned the driver's side by raising it so it matches the passenger's side level.
Since this is all done in the morning, I won't know if it requires any fine adjustments.
I will know later tonight if I get high beamed by oncoming traffic

When I get a chance, I'll take some more pictures...hoping that everything is correct now.
I still think the projector lenses are horrible, but not planning to do a retrofit anytime soon.

I would like to thank Brian for his professionalism regarding this issue and stepping up to rectify a solution to this problem.

All I can say is that there are still some good ones out there that care!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Here is a quick pic from my HTC One S:

Name:  IMAG0436.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  99.5 KB

Is this better?
Picture was taken at about 15ft from the wall and ground was not level.

Please leave any feedback regarding the alignment or anything positive or negative about them.

Although, the cut off isn't very sharp I think it is much better than it was before.
They are still within the break-in period.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Not bad, glad you have a bit more faith in mankind. Nice to hear they made things right, or at least as right as they could make them at his point.
Lights look pretty sharp & clean.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:46 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GTLAW
Sorry here you guys up in north having so much issues with the dealers.
Too bad Herb Chambers Boston is so incompetent & dishonest...the dealership is only 5 min away from my house!
There is another Infiniti dealership owned by Herb which is located in Westborough, MA. That one is about 30 miles away, but heard good things regarding their service.
Norwood is about 12 miles away and Kelly is over 20 miles.

Kelly hasn't really let me down...once or twice they messed up a bit, but made up for it.

No dealership is perfect...still the best service I ever had was from Lexus.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Not bad, glad you have a bit more faith in mankind. Nice to hear they made things right, or at least as right as they could make them at his point.
Lights look pretty sharp & clean.
Thanks!
Glad to know.
More feedback will be appreciated...need to let Brian @ JT know if things are correct.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Abramite
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Hard to tell.. I would like to see a nighttime shot.

As for alignment, it should be a 2" drop every 25' so find a level wall park 25' away measure from the ground to the center of the projector.. And then lower or raise your "step" <--- (the center of the light beam) to fall 2" shorter than your previous dimension.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Yeah, I can't tell either...something does seem off with the drivers' side. The color is different (more purple on the left?), and you can see a halo effect on the driver's side headlight and none on the passenger's side.

You're supposed to see the beam patterns of two headlights ___/----___/----, but you only see one. It seems that one beam might be overpowering the other beam...

Granted, your bulb won't be sitting in the bowl per OEM specs, so this is expected. That arc in the bulb should be in the same location as before, but now it won't be, so your light output wouldn't be the same as OEM anyways.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Abramite
Hard to tell.. I would like to see a nighttime shot.

As for alignment, it should be a 2" drop every 25' so find a level wall park 25' away measure from the ground to the center of the projector.. And then lower or raise your "step" <--- (the center of the light beam) to fall 2" shorter than your previous dimension.
I need to find a level place that has at least 25ft distance so I can make the correct adjustments...thanks.

Yeah, I can't tell either...something does seem off with the drivers' side. The color is different (more purple on the left?), and you can see a halo effect on the driver's side headlight and none on the passenger's side.

You're supposed to see the beam patterns of two headlights ___/----___/----, but you only see one. It seems that one beam might be overpowering the other beam...

Granted, your bulb won't be sitting in the bowl per OEM specs, so this is expected. That arc in the bulb should be in the same location as before, but now it won't be, so your light output wouldn't be the same as OEM anyways.
I'll see if I can find somewhere else to take some better pictures.
I think the way the camera captured the picture might have gave it a purple tint...the light output is definitely white.
Only the cut off has a bit of color...yellow, green & blue.

I think that my projector lenses might be part of the problem...can they cause the halo effect?

Quick Reply: HELP: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI Upgrade...Something isn't right!