Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Please Help ! Headlight HID Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Jackooze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help ! Headlight HID Replacement

I am hoping someone can give me some advice with a problem I am having with my HID's headlights . I have a 2012 G37xs and tried replacing the headlights with 6000k bulbs. The bulb on the drivers side turns on for split second, it will only stay on if I turn on/off for 4 times. The passenger side works fine for the moment. I tried several bulbs already with the same result. Tried doing some research before creating a post and noticed a few people having the same problem with no solution.
Is there something wrong with the stock ballasts?
Are there specific bulbs I need to purchase?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The stock ballasts are fine..
Old 12-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Jackooze

Doing more research 180custom says that its a common problem with 2012/13 sedans. Does anyone here have the same problems ? If not where did you purchase your bulbs?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:14 PM
BKsInfiniti

I had a problem like this on my 2012 sedan, after about 6 months my driver side HID flickered but wouldn't stay on. My dealer said there's a chance it's a ballast issue, or something came loose in the wiring. When I had them look at it all they did was swap out the bulb and everything worked fine. After the dealer replaced my OEM bulb I installed Diode Dynamics 6000k HIDs, and so far they've worked fine for me.

I'd say put both OEM bulbs back in, get it checked out at your local dealer and have them replace any burnt out bulbs or malfunctioning ballasts (assuming you're under warranty)then when you take it home and put in your 6000k HIDs, keep the OEM ones because they are pretty expensive. Hope this helps!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Superteeth

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And the same question, with an answer.

I had the exact same problem when I tried to put 6000K bulbs in, and the same fix as well (flicking the headlight switch on and off). I posted on this forum in an attempt to get an answer, but no one even tried to help (thanks a lot, guys).

I found out that the problem is specific to 2010+ model year G37 cars (and possibly other models that are 2010+, assuming they use the same ballast). The ballast is not the problem, so do not bother with it. The change from, I believe, 2009 to 2010, is that Nissan began to use Matsu****a generation V ballasts. Apparently, these ballasts do not like cheap aftermarket bulbs, and oftentimes do not light them reliably. OEM bulbs, like the Philips bulbs (and apparently Osram bulbs, I will find out for sure when my Osram CBIs come in) always ignite properly when used with the generation V ballasts.

This is why, as far as I know, you do not hear of earlier model Infiniti owners complaining about their new HID bulbs not igniting properly, and why when you put your Philips bulbs back in, they turn on properly.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking about bulbs, I just had the Osram CBI 5K put in. WOW, its daylight at nighttime. Every single penny well WORTH IT. No blue, no yellow. PURE WHITE and much brighter than OEM bulb 4300K.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Jackooze

Originally Posted by Superteeth
And the same question, with an answer.

I had the exact same problem when I tried to put 6000K bulbs in, and the same fix as well (flicking the headlight switch on and off). I posted on this forum in an attempt to get an answer, but no one even tried to help (thanks a lot, guys).

I found out that the problem is specific to 2010+ model year G37 cars (and possibly other models that are 2010+, assuming they use the same ballast). The ballast is not the problem, so do not bother with it. The change from, I believe, 2009 to 2010, is that Nissan began to use Matsu****a generation V ballasts. Apparently, these ballasts do not like cheap aftermarket bulbs, and oftentimes do not light them reliably. OEM bulbs, like the Philips bulbs (and apparently Osram bulbs, I will find out for sure when my Osram CBIs come in) always ignite properly when used with the generation V ballasts.

This is why, as far as I know, you do not hear of earlier model Infiniti owners complaining about their new HID bulbs not igniting properly, and why when you put your Philips bulbs back in, they turn on properly.
Thanks for replying.
Maybe a certain voltage type bulb is required ? I just don't want to go on a wild goose chase for bulbs that will work with ballasts. At this point I am just going to remove the 6000k from the fogs and match it to the stock HID's. This really sucks I never thought this would be such a problem. Its strange there isn't more talked about on this forum.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Jackooze

Originally Posted by marcelo19lp
Talking about bulbs, I just had the Osram CBI 5K put in. WOW, its daylight at nighttime. Every single penny well WORTH IT. No blue, no yellow. PURE WHITE and much brighter than OEM bulb 4300K.

What year is your car?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts
This is the main reason why I didn't change out my stock HID headlight bulbs.

If it was easier to switch out, then I would replace them with 5000k.
But just having to make sure that there aren't any problems after install can be troublesome...never know if they work or not until you install them.
I don't have the means to experiment with several replacement bulbs.
Osram CBI 5000k bulbs are a bit pricey, but probably the closest to trouble free installation you can get.

Has anyone that owns 2012/13 have any success with replacing theirs?
If yes, which bulb did you replace them with?

My FX was so easy compared to the G...can be done through the engine bay.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Jackooze

This is probably a stupid question ...... does the color of the long plastic piece attached horizontally to the bulb make any difference in output? The stock one is black. The replacements I have are white and blue.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Jackooze

Anyone have any suggestions which bulbs to get ?
Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 PM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my is an 08G37s coupe. Get Osram CBI 5000K. Those things fired up amazing, no flickering, issues etc. The ballast that this car has like OEM types. Than again, you can get a chinese bulb and have no issues. I get compliments all the time on the car, and bulbs.