Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Xirallic in Smoky Quartz paint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Marina Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xirallic in Smoky Quartz paint?

Does anyone know if Infiniti uses Xirallic in the Smoky Quartz paint formula?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM
JPSBLACKG37

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts
I paint cars for a living and have never heard of that.

What's the paint code ill look it up for you tomorrow at work
Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Marina Blue

Originally Posted by JPSBLACKG37

What's the paint code ill look it up for you tomorrow at work
Color code for Smoky Quartz is KAC

Thanks for your quick reply.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Marina Blue

Xirallic is a pigment which gives paint a vivid, lustrous look that was never before possible. It is made in Japan by Merck. As of now, the Japan operation is the only plant in the world that makes this product. That is why after the tsunami there, every major auto manufacturer stopped painting colors with this pigment. The plant had been shut down. There is no substitute for Xirallic. The plant is operating at full capacity again. Supposedly another plant will be built in Germany so that supply will not be interrupted again.

Here is Merck's Xirallic web-site: Merck Performance Materials - Xirallic
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 PM
JPSBLACKG37

Ridiculous. Just did some research on the Spies Hecker paints I use everyday and some of the higher end pearls we are are in fact xirallics, but are not labeled xirallics in any way!

They are definately more brilliant than your standard pearls.

What is the paint code? I will look it up
Old 12-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Todays Paints

Honestly gentlemen, some of the paints and so called metallic like finishes don't do that much for me. The technique of using a color coat and then covering it with clear just doesn't bring out the depth that you used to get with the older types of paints that were used before the EPA forced these new paint types on us. Yes the cars look shiny, but they rarely have soul when you look into them. They also don't have much real depth which made you feel you could dive into the paint, that's how deep it looked. I've seen very few high end cars whose paint jobs really wowed me. Surprisingly some of GM's more recent paint colors have shown real potential, especially in the metallic reds. They had great color and decent depth and a fantastic shine. This before being professionally detailed. JMO-ICBW

Al
Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 AM
JPSBLACKG37

Sory i have to disagree with you track bandit, todays colors completely destroy anything from the past.

You will rarely get your "soulful" colors from the factory.

Check this site out. Alsa Corp | The World's Most Exotic Paints and Finishes

Check out their candy concentrates, and some of their pearls, alsa is definately one of, if not the leader in custom automotive finishes.

OP, checked the color code you gave me, reads as Desert Shadow, and there are no xirallic pigments in the color. I can upload a picture later of everything that is in that color if you would like
Old 12-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Marina Blue

Ridiculous. Just did some research on the Spies Hecker paints I use everyday and some of the higher end pearls we are are in fact xirallics, but are not labeled xirallics in any way!

They are definately more brilliant than your standard pearls.

What is the paint code? I will look it up
Paint code is KAC
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Marina Blue

Originally Posted by Track Bandit
Honestly gentlemen, some of the paints and so called metallic like finishes don't do that much for me. The technique of using a color coat and then covering it with clear just doesn't bring out the depth that you used to get with the older types of paints that were used before the EPA forced these new paint types on us. Yes the cars look shiny, but they rarely have soul when you look into them. They also don't have much real depth which made you feel you could dive into the paint, that's how deep it looked. I've seen very few high end cars whose paint jobs really wowed me. Surprisingly some of GM's more recent paint colors have shown real potential, especially in the metallic reds. They had great color and decent depth and a fantastic shine. This before being professionally detailed. JMO-ICBW

Al
The recent GM metallic reds that you refer to are Xirallic paints. I have a Monterey Red Corvette which contains this pigment. After Monterey Red came Crystal Red Metallic, also a Xirallic paint.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Marina Blue

Sory i have to disagree with you track bandit, todays colors completely destroy anything from the past.

You will rarely get your "soulful" colors from the factory.

Check this site out. Alsa Corp | The World's Most Exotic Paints and Finishes

Check out their candy concentrates, and some of their pearls, alsa is definately one of, if not the leader in custom automotive finishes.

OP, checked the color code you gave me, reads as Desert Shadow, and there are no xirallic pigments in the color. I can upload a picture later of everything that is in that color if you would like
Thank you JPSBlackG37. My G37 was just repaired and repainted. The paint did not match very well--looked dead compared to the original. My thought was that the original may have contained Xirallic and they failed to use that pigment in the new paint. Body shop called in the Dupont rep. Hopefully it turns out better on the next painting.

You are dead-on about modern paints destroying the old ones. The 1967 Corvette had a color called Marlboro Maroon. It is similar to the Monterey Red color on my 2006 Corvette, but does not have the brightness or depth of Monterey Red.

Picture upload not necessary. Thanks again.

Phil