Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Frozen Window's

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 AM
~Lefty~

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Frozen Window's

Well I'm sure it's a common problem - It almost has to be.

This morning it was ~25* outside (snowed yesterday). I went to get in my car this morning and obviously the window(s) wouldn't roll down. They were frozen shut. What do you guys do in this scenario? Thankfully, I gently scraped some ice off the passenger side, and barely got the door open. So once I got in, I started the car and put the heat/defrost on full blast. This is going to be a major pain in the a$$ if I have this issue every morning.

I was thinking of maybe buying some de-icer aerosol from Autozone or what not...

Valvoline/11.5 oz. Pyroil windshield De-Icer (DI-11.5) | De-Icer | AutoZone.com

Anybody have any insight/other options?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Haha. I was going to post basically the same thing today. I'm worried about the window being frozen and not going down that little bit when its cold (happened this morning... it snowed yesterday, and iced over today). Will i shatter my window if it doesn't go down?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 AM
CRV_33
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Where do you guys live and do you have a coupe or sedan?

We had snow that iced-over up here in Minnesota on Thanksgiving Day last week and I had no issues using my windows on my sedan. I clocked out 10am on black friday and i was too lazy to scrape the snow off my windows so I just rolled the windows to clear the windows. LOL
Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 AM
~Lefty~

Originally Posted by Kidcane
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Unfortunately, we do not have warm weather like FL year round (I wish )
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
~Lefty~

Originally Posted by CRV_33
Where do you guys live and do you have a coupe or sedan?

We had snow that iced-over up here in Minnesota on Thanksgiving Day last week and I had no issues using my windows on my sedan. I clocked out 10am on black friday and i was too lazy to scrape the snow off my windows so I just rolled the windows to clear the windows. LOL
Coupe. Not sure about the Sedan's, but the Coupe drops the window a bit when you open the door. When you close the door, it pushes the window back up into the body.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

I'm in NJ, and have a coupe. Like lefty said, they drop about a quarter inch when you open the door, then go back when closed. If the ice freezes the window bad enough, idk what happens... Id assume infiniti would have thought of this... But i have been wrong on my assumptions before lol.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM
~Lefty~

I understand it to be just an unfortunate side effect of the design. It's not just our car that has problems with it; I'd assume BMW, Audi, etc. have it. Basically anybody with a frame-less design for the windows.

I'm hoping it's just the ice on the outside where the door meets the window (not the rubber weather stripping on the frame of the car). Maybe a credit card being slid in-between the window and door panel will free it up. I'll have to experiment next time it happens.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Yeah. You in Jersey too?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 PM
~Lefty~

Originally Posted by Tommy Gunz PSIU
Yeah. You in Jersey too?
Central PA - so close enough
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Garage, Car Cover or De-Ice Spray
Old 11-28-2012, 01:10 PM
navecm
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I haven't experience this on the G yet, but I have had that issue in the past on other cars. I've had freezing rain that not only ices up the windows, but the door jams as well. During the winter I kept a can of the de-icer in the car, and also in the house.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:38 PM
AllentownG37

I live in PA and in the past, I've gone back inside, gotten a pitcher of warm water and poured it slowly across the top of the window. That's usually loosened up the ice enough to open the door and get inside, which was followed up with heat/defrost on full. I've only needed to do this maybe a handful of times though when we've gotten a really nasty storm with temps typically in/below 20 degrees. If your car sits outside, another possibility is a car cover. I know they're a PITA but in this case, it might save you some headache.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:45 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by AllentownG37
I live in PA and in the past, I've gone back inside, gotten a pitcher of warm water and poured it slowly across the top of the window. That's usually loosened up the ice enough to open the door and get inside, which was followed up with heat/defrost on full. I've only needed to do this maybe a handful of times though when we've gotten a really nasty storm with temps typically in/below 20 degrees. If your car sits outside, another possibility is a car cover. I know they're a PITA but in this case, it might save you some headache.
Not a good idea .... you run the risk of damage, when hot (which warm is to frozen) meets frozen plus you introduce more water to refreeze. Better to keep de-icer handy (keep in trunk) or use a hair dryer.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:15 PM
AllentownG37

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Not a good idea .... you run the risk of damage, when hot (which warm is to frozen) meets frozen plus you introduce more water to refreeze. Better to keep de-icer handy (keep in trunk) or use a hair dryer.
Good to know, thanks man. Just curious, what's the worst that could happen, shatter the window? Crack it? I never gave it much thought until now. Looks like I'll be picking up some de-icer next time I pass by the local autoparts store!

Quick Reply: Frozen Window's