Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

2010 G37 Window Weather Striping Melted Away

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:16 PM
muyrec
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's the Itb for everyone to see. includes part number for the updated trim pieces. http://www.filedropper.com/itb09-060
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by INFINITI G37
S**t man, That's weird..

it's either defective, or some sort of acid poured on it..

even the heat wouldn't melt it, believe me
This was believable, but I would not call it "melt" but rubber discomposition. I have parked my car under the high temps of summer sun for a few times, and it turned out the trims became very sticky. They left black marks all over the towel that I used to apply rubber conditioner. The black residues were good indicator of rubber discomposition. I live in New Jersey where summer temp is nowhere close to what the southern states have. Those trims are indeed very crappy.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 PM
penciltop99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by muyrec
Here's the Itb for everyone to see. includes part number for the updated trim pieces. http://www.filedropper.com/itb09-060
Thanks for the file! I'm hoping this is enough ammunition to convince Infiniti USA to change their stance. From the dealership to the corporate office they are all acting like they have never seen this situation before.

I kind of expected the dealership to be cheap, but I did not expect this kind of stance from Infiniti USA and frankly I'm very disappointed. What's worse I used to know their company very well when they were still in Torrance, CA.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 PM
penciltop99

Originally Posted by BLamb
They should replace with the TSB I'd think. Or give the Gunn dealership a shot if Crest turns you down again.

Also I bought my car from Gunn in San Antonio, had a great experience, but I suppose the experience varies by person/salesmen. In Feb 2012 I got a 2012 G37 Prem, Nav, Sport, illum kickplates, trunk mat, tint, paint protection for $36,700 at 1.9% (no haggling either). They also gave me $2k more on my trade than the Austin Infiniti dealer offered and were $2k lower on the G as well.

Anyway I understand experiences vary, my experience in Austin was awful, everyone always says try a different dealer if you get the run around at one of them.
Gunn asked for the replacement but the regional manager shot them down. I never heard back from Crest Infiniti but kind of figured that since I'm living in San Antonio now.

You might be right about the Gunn sales people, they've got good reviews on the web. Service dept is a whole different story. I've had nothing but frustration with their reps. I have to fight another battle as they damaged the interior passenger windows from the last service.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Hmm, haven't used Gunn's service department as it's about an hour and a half away for me. I went to the Austin dealer a few weeks ago for an oil change and they seemed to do a good job. Dealers seem to be hit or miss at times.

Miles or not your car is still way too new to be experiencing that kind of wear on the trim =/. Hopefully Infiniti USA will change their stance on it, have you sent them pictures?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Just curious on hot days do you ever crack the windows to let the heat vent?

I noticed after doing this the last summer the moulding around the windows are shrinking and now rounding out rather than retaining the 45 degree angle at the corners.
Being that you have what looks like blistering heat just curious if it affected you as well.

Good luck with another dealer. PITA to have to drive around and lose the car for one day each time but if someone fixes then great!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 AM
penciltop99

Originally Posted by rlo
Just curious on hot days do you ever crack the windows to let the heat vent?

I noticed after doing this the last summer the moulding around the windows are shrinking and now rounding out rather than retaining the 45 degree angle at the corners.
Being that you have what looks like blistering heat just curious if it affected you as well.

Good luck with another dealer. PITA to have to drive around and lose the car for one day each time but if someone fixes then great!
Sometimes I crack the window, but I really don't think this has any affect on the molding as it is exposed to direct sun light and ambient temperature. I speculate this has to do with the manufacturing process with the molding. Sounds like a good Six Sigma project for someone to make black belt...
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 AM
penciltop99

Originally Posted by BLamb
Hmm, haven't used Gunn's service department as it's about an hour and a half away for me. I went to the Austin dealer a few weeks ago for an oil change and they seemed to do a good job. Dealers seem to be hit or miss at times.

Miles or not your car is still way too new to be experiencing that kind of wear on the trim =/. Hopefully Infiniti USA will change their stance on it, have you sent them pictures?
not yet, I need to do it soon.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
I had this very same issue happen on my 2010 Sedan. I took it to Sewell in Dallas and they replaced the trims at all 4 doors last month, however, I am still within the mileage warranty. Note: The service advisor worded the description in the work order "very carefully". I was going to add some additional comments such as gummy and was advised not to write that as it was more likely that Infiniti would replace it under warranty. Hope that helps and good luck!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 AM
penciltop99

Update:

Took my car to Crest Infiniti in Dallas and they replaced the trim and repaired other issues at NO CHARGE and it was hassle free. I'm a happy customer again. =)

AVOID GUNN INFINITI in San Antonio, TX at all costs!!!
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (05-19-2015)
Old 08-09-2014, 10:26 PM
jdjurado
Registered Member

I'd like to bump this thread and see if anyone has the ITB for the weather strip replacement (09-060). I just ran into this issue with my 2010 G37... it was a hot Florida day and I got melted rubber all over my fingers when I accidentally touched the weather stripping on my driver side door. Then I noticed the previous owner must've ran into the same issue because all four windows look like they got chewed up (like in the pictures in this post).
Old 08-09-2014, 10:57 PM
lightlypurified
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
good thing i put trim restorer everytime i wax my car.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Alcaponed

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just called my dealer and they said there was no TSB for the rubber trim? I've been having issues with mine as well and would like to get it switched out.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Decomposition of rubber trim is not unusual and not confined to Infiniti. I had a VW Passat years ago and the same thing happened to it. When I touched the window trim the black came off on my fingers and it left black marks and gummy rubber on the door under the window.
2011 smokey quartz g37 premium sedan
Old 05-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Outonstrks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdjurado
I'd like to bump this thread and see if anyone has the ITB for the weather strip replacement (09-060). I just ran into this issue with my 2010 G37... it was a hot Florida day and I got melted rubber all over my fingers when I accidentally touched the weather stripping on my driver side door. Then I noticed the previous owner must've ran into the same issue because all four windows look like they got chewed up (like in the pictures in this post).
Any update on the remedy from Infiniti USA? I have a 2010 sedan that has the same problem as described in all 4 windows. I am afraid because I'm out of warranty, the dealer is going to tell me to "pound sand".

Quick Reply: 2010 G37 Window Weather Striping Melted Away