Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Paint haze

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 PM
TheGanglyGoon

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Paint haze

I'm sure this has been posted about but I have never seen a solution to it. I just got my car back from Crest Infiniti after it has been there for about a week and of course it comes back to me with that foggy haze like residue on parts of the body. Anyone know any solutions to clean it and remove it...? Just washed the car and scrubbed the heck out of it with no luck.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheGanglyGoon
I'm sure this has been posted about but I have never seen a solution to it. I just got my car back from Crest Infiniti after it has been there for about a week and of course it comes back to me with that foggy haze like residue on parts of the body. Anyone know any solutions to clean it and remove it...? Just washed the car and scrubbed the heck out of it with no luck.

I was going to suggest you to bring it back to them and show the haze on the clear coat, but I don't know how good of a job they would've done on it.

They probably put their greasy hands on your car and didn't clean after themselves, at least I hope that's what it is.

Do you have any pics to share?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
See my paint haze story here ...

https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...ml#post3505256
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 PM
VTCMart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just wax residue from detailing? Soap and water won't help, but a wax cleaner will.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Are they buffer trails/holograms like this?

Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 AM
criledo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Are they buffer trails/holograms like this?

Quaker, my slate blue G developed exactly the same marks as in the pictures. I thought it came from a lousy wax job in the past where someone used a rotary buffer instead of an orbital one. I spoke with Zaino yesterday and they recommended I use ZPC after claying the car. Were you able to remove those marks, trails or holograms??
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Lake,an
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I clay my vert every three months.It is easy.It takes me around 15 min. to do the complete car.There is so much **** in the air and on the road,It is a must do.Just go to your local auto parts store and pick up a Meguiars kit and away you go...
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Originally Posted by criledo
Quaker, my slate blue G developed exactly the same marks as in the pictures. I thought it came from a lousy wax job in the past where someone used a rotary buffer instead of an orbital one. I spoke with Zaino yesterday and they recommended I use ZPC after claying the car. Were you able to remove those marks, trails or holograms??
Hope I'm not hijacking this guys thread. Those pictures aren't mines but my car did have them when I first got it. But if you have buffer trails/holograms..it's normally the shop trying to buff out swirls/scratches but doing a terrible job. I don't think you can get them out by hand...I had to have someone polish them out with a DA.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM
TheGanglyGoon

Hope I'm not hijacking this guys thread. Those pictures aren't mines but my car did have them when I first got it. But if you have buffer trails/holograms..it's normally the shop trying to buff out swirls/scratches but doing a terrible job. I don't think you can get them out by hand...I had to have someone polish them out with a DA.
lol! Its fine man, do whatever it takes to fix your problem. Thats what I would do haha
Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Gangly did you fix the problem? Are the pics I posted the same problems you have?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:20 PM
criledo
Registered Member

My five cents to the subject I have researched in the last couple days:

These hologram marks are usually caused by a rotating buffer machine over an orbital one. Many people reported seeing these marks after a couple washes after the car was polished. Also, they are very hard to see in the shade.

The problem will usually be the operator though, not the equipment. Rotating buffers are extremely difficult to use => you have to know what you are doing. The causes for this to happen are usually: 1. Too little or too much product on the pads causing uneven abrasion. 2. The buffer being moved too fast. 3. The area of work being done is too large. 4. On variable speed buffers the speed is set to too low (On a Porter Cable machine the speed should be set at 5 according to several posts I read). 5. Not cleaning the pad often enough.

Any place that polishes cars for a business will have rotating buffers because they can do the job faster. Polishing a car is not a thing to be done lightly, that is why I prefer now to do my own. Golden rules: 1. Take your time. 2. Always before starting to fix such a mess, always, clay your car first. If you don 't you will be leaving a bunch of crud on there that will lessen results.

I will post some before and after pics when I am done in case somebody is interested or they are useful in any way to others with the same problem.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 PM
TheGanglyGoon

Gangly did you fix the problem? Are the pics I posted the same problems you have?
No but it almost has just faded away honestly... Its so hard to tell where the spots are since I have a liquid platinum so it has to be PERFECT lighting to see. I was judging the spots by touching for the most part. I'm clay barring the car this weekend so I hope that can help a little...