Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Instrument cluster swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 03:51 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
There's only one way to find out! Swapping clusters was no issue on my car.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:10 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
how do you program the millage easily? youd need consult tool to do that no?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 PM
ScorpionGeo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
also thinking on doing this...
Old 05-31-2014, 07:41 PM
interalian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just want to get the J-spec gauge faces with km/h only - any ideas?
Old 10-13-2019, 07:21 PM
R7silver
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2013 g37 cluster into v36 sedan

after swap
So I’ve looked into this couldnt find anything because it seems like v36 sedan clusters are likely to fail prematurely, my original one had half the leds off and went off so i bought a 2008 cluster and swapped it in worked for about 3 months then the leds around the temp gauge went out. soni was sick of it. finally I was like I need a newer model cluster or rebuild the older one. checked eBay and found a 2013 cluster for 80$ good deal.. but wasn’t sure if it would be a plug and play since it’s 6 years newer than my car.. visually looked identical so I said screw it ill try it..so I did, I swapped my old one out and new one in and worked right away so now I have the updated cluster with white lighted background and white needles... now if you want your original mileage to show you will need to remove your original cluster and disassemble it, and removed the middle screen held on by some screws and a thin type connector like you would find in a phone and swap that into the new one, the only down side is it I think that may still stay red which might look cool red and white.. I kept the mileage I the 2013 cluster came with since it was a bit less than my original mileage, the easiest solution would be to look for a cluster that has similar mileage to yours and just use it..i went with the newer model cluster since its an updated newer version the leds should last a lot longer ...

Before the swap, temp leds would turn off intermittently

before swap leds started to cut off(older style cluster #2)

after swap, newer style cluster. plug and play.

Last edited by R7silver; 10-13-2019 at 09:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by R7silver:
AdamBritt (10-13-2019), Drivebywire222 (03-25-2023), ILM-NC G37S (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 08:01 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Did you open either at all? I kind of like the red needles from the old ones.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:02 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,082 Posts
I'm trying to go one step further and swap in a Q60 cluster. I'm beyond tired of the flickering LED's in my cluster.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:02 PM
R7silver
Registered Member

i did open up the original one all the way up and removed the center display off of the cluster, thats what holds the mileage, getting to that point is a bit of a pain because you have to remove the gauge needles.. anyway i'm pretty sure swapping on that piece into the newer cluster will work fine but you will just have the red background display with white gauges, ive done this exact thing on a Mitsubishi galant same concept, im a Audi Technician and have played around with clusters for a while..As for the Q60 cluster now that will require a lot if work since its wired differently and has different features.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:20 PM
R7silver
Registered Member

yea using the red needles should work fine on the newer cluster, they're slightly different design when comparing the two, older model the red needle passes through the center of the base newer one doesn't pass through its base, but i dint see why it wouldn’t work
Old 10-14-2019, 09:58 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by R7silver
...im a Audi Technician...
It seems a lot of folks here have either went to or came from Audi. Interesting...

Originally Posted by R7silver,4258244
As for the Q60 cluster now that will require a lot if work since its wired differently and has different features.
The pinouts are entirely different but the signal values are practically the same. The only hiccup seems to be the gas gauge. It is a work in progress but I've sidelined it for now as I'm currently working on a different project. Besides, I don't drive the car enough (1-2x/mo.) for the flickering to really irritate me.

Welcome to the forum, BTW...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 10-14-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Nyzflyyguy
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by R7silver
after swap
So I’ve looked into this couldnt find anything because it seems like v36 sedan clusters are likely to fail prematurely, my original one had half the leds off and went off so i bought a 2008 cluster and swapped it in worked for about 3 months then the leds around the temp gauge went out. soni was sick of it. finally I was like I need a newer model cluster or rebuild the older one. checked eBay and found a 2013 cluster for 80$ good deal.. but wasn’t sure if it would be a plug and play since it’s 6 years newer than my car.. visually looked identical so I said screw it ill try it..so I did, I swapped my old one out and new one in and worked right away so now I have the updated cluster with white lighted background and white needles... now if you want your original mileage to show you will need to remove your original cluster and disassemble it, and removed the middle screen held on by some screws and a thin type connector like you would find in a phone and swap that into the new one, the only down side is it I think that may still stay red which might look cool red and white.. I kept the mileage I the 2013 cluster came with since it was a bit less than my original mileage, the easiest solution would be to look for a cluster that has similar mileage to yours and just use it..i went with the newer model cluster since its an updated newer version the leds should last a lot longer ...

Before the swap, temp leds would turn off intermittently

before swap leds started to cut off(older style cluster #2)

after swap, newer style cluster. plug and play.
the biggest question is that did the swap mess with your transmission? Your car is a 5at at while the newer g’s are 7at. Does it just not let you go past 5 gear when in manual mode?
Old 01-14-2020, 08:42 PM
R7silver
Registered Member

Manual mode.. dont see a difference

Originally Posted by Nyzflyyguy
the biggest question is that did the swap mess with your transmission? Your car is a 5at at while the newer g’s are 7at. Does it just not let you go past 5 gear when in manual mode?
I dont see any difference when in manual mode.. it works like the original gears 1,2,3,4,5 i can access.. it doesn't go any higher

5th in manual mode..