Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Gaps (call out for body guys)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 PM
winkerbean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaps (call out for body guys)

Back in '08 when my car was brand new it managed to get stolen and subsequently damaged, to the tune of a $14 000 claim. I'm the second owner and this didn't bug me much in the negotiations when i was buying the car, cause i figured new car = expensive parts. so the car runs fine NEVER had an issue with it mechanically, which leads me to believe all parts damaged were strictly cosmetic. Now thats the back story, i hope your still with me. when i walk around my car three details really stand out.

1. The front bumper lines aren't alligned with the fenders (Gap). no one else would notice it walking by, but i do cause i own it if you catch my drift.

2. The front bumper isnt the same color as the rest of the car. My car is white the bumper is white difference is the bumper doesnt have the little paint flecks like the rest of the car that makes it gleam in the sun.

3. The trunk is somewhat crooked leaving a gap between the edge of the trunk and the passenger side tailight.

Now my question for you gentlemen is this. I know I can't do much about the bumper being off color (no im not willing to pay for a paint job that should've been done right the first time), but will i be able to re-allign the front bumper myself by removing it (following a DIY on here) and repositioning it, or is there more to it? same goes for the trunk can i remove the lid and reposition it, or is there more to it?

much appreciated as always
Old 08-31-2012, 09:12 PM
betterdayz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The front bumper can probably be adjusted as far as gaps, the reason i say this is because when i had my front bumper off and put it back on i had to loosen it back up and retighten so the gaps were tight again. The first time the gaps were just off. The trunk on the other hand may not help to take off, it may just need tweaked. Or it may be something else mis aligned. If the quarter panels were damaged bad enough it was cut off and replaced(hopefully not) but that would knock off alignment of everything in the rear of the car if they are off even millimeters.If the trunk is the only part out of alignment you may get lucky and just adjust it. Post some pics so we can see just what your talking about so we can better help you! The trunk hinges may be just out of alignment. GL
Old 08-31-2012, 09:12 PM
NyLiGHTz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know for a fact you can readjust the front bumper. Not sure about the rest.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:28 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the bumper has brackets that are probably either broken, or not there. Some cheap shops glue parts together. I found out all about it with my bumper too. The plastic part (stiffener) that joins the upper portion of the bumper to the fender was cracked and all they had done was epoxy it together. I'm glad I noticed this when I removed mine, otherwise I would've ripped that one side!

If you'd like post pictures of the gaps, that way some that have gone through the same can guide you to a quicker fix.