Autokits - X Diffuser Installation Tips/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Steveoh187
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Autokits - X Diffuser Installation Tips/Advice

Hey All,

So like a lot of members on here, I had a tough decision but went with an Autokits-X V2 diffuser in carbon fiber over the IPL rear bumper. I first mounted the diffuser back in late February with just the supplied 3m tape up top and two stainless steel bolts and nuts on the two mounting points below. It could have been related to the lower temperatures when mounting but the tape up top peeled off within two weeks.

At that point I removed the diffuser and did some additional research on here on proper mounting technique. For my second go around, I did the install in late April (warmer weather) with proper surface prep (washed rear bumper, clay bar, rubbing alcohol wipe down) and purchased heavy duty 3M VHB tape (can't recall the exact part#). I heated up the tape with a hair dryer for several minutes and mounted the diffuser. I also layed down painters tape to help the tape stick to the bumper more securely (for two days). It seemed to stick much better and the diffuser sat almost perfectly against the rear bumper (there are two gaps where the diffuser contours to the indent in the bumper where the license plate mounts that I can't do anything about, must of just come out of the mold with that fitment issue). I also drilled an additional hole in the center of the diffuser to line up with a hole behind the license plate on the oem bumper, I installed another stainless bolt and nut for additional mounting security.

All seemed well until I began noticing two weeks ago the tape cracking and peeling back again. At this point I am almost ready to sell the diffuser and just go the IPL bumper route but I want to give it one last shot.

Can anyone with experience mounting this Autokits diffuser provided any additional tips/advice that hasn't already been covered? I.E.
  • Washing / Claybar / Rubbing Alcohol Surface Prep
  • Mounting in warm weather
  • preheating tape with heat gun/hair dryer
  • Using painters tape where the diffuser meets the bumper upon initial install to assist in the bonding process

I intend on trying the following combination of products along with everything I mentioned above for this install attempt:

3M Adhesion Promoter (4298) 3M Adhesion Promoter (4298)

3M Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive (03601) 3M Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive (03601)

3M VHB Mounting Tape (Haven't decided on which particular part# to go with, considering the following: 5952 / 03609Na / 4910 / 4941)

I plan on going with a thin layer of the trim adhesive across the top most edge of the diffuser, then laying down the vhb tape just below that across the length of the diffuser, then finally another pass with the trim adhesive. All after using the adhesion promoter on the bumper surface.

I know this is a very long read but if anyone with experience can chime in with anything else they think might help that would be great
Old 07-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Girlsare3vil
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually just bought this and the same thing happen with me when I first put it on with the tape provided. I removed it, took a degreaser to the rear section of the bumper, applied the m3 promoter to the bumper and the diffuser and then applied new m3 tape to the diffuser then put it on the car. It has held pretty well except for around the curve where the license plate is. If that does not work and you are really having issues with it you could always go with some type of glue used for automotive. I thought about that as well.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:57 PM
U2vertigo1

I was considering this diffuser but it Seems like poor quality. If an item is
sold like this with a hit or miss method of installation it does not encourage me to buy it. Are others having the same issue or are these isolated incidents? Have you addressed it with Autokits?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Steveoh187
Registered Member

I never bothered to address it with Autokits as I'm the type to just try and figure out a solution on my own. And just as an FYI I did purchase the diffuser brand new directly from Autokits not second hand or through ebay. I wouldn't necessarily say the diffuser is poor quality, it fits fairly well to the contours of the rear bumper (other than the gaps I mentioned in my first post) and I knew what I was getting myself into when I purchased it (mounting-wise). I just wish there was a more solid and secure mounting point on the upper portion of the diffuser (short of drilling into the factory bumper).

Girlsare3vil - I am hoping the adhesion promoter will be the difference-maker in ensuring the new tape and adhesive holds up this time around. I wouldn't want to use anything more permanent than the products I listed to be honest as that would be taking away a key point as to why I purchased the diffuser in the first place (the ability to remove it without causing damage).
Old 07-15-2012, 03:43 PM
U2vertigo1

Good luck with getting it to stick. It's a shame you are having to spend so much time and effort to get it right. Very aggravating I know. I'm going to do a little more research on this issue before I pull the trigger on one.
The following users liked this post:
Baby Jumpman (04-22-2017)
Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 PM
emyrl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've mounted two Autokits V2 diffusers and have had no issues whatsoever with the tape peeling off. I simply washed the area, wiped the area down with rubbing alcohol and water mix, bolted the diffuser from the underside first, and started to attach the diffuser to the bumper. When I mount the diffuser I start from the middle and apply pressure from middle to the right/left. Really not sure why you're having these issues, anytime I've dealt with 3m tape like this I've had more issues removing the part from my car, than having the tape come undone by itself.
The following users liked this post:
Isaacm19 (01-26-2020)
Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I've also had 2 diffusers installed with no issues with the original supplied tape.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:59 AM
DeamonG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got mine on no problem. clean it better and peel the tape when ur ready to stick. gotta have some finess thats all...
Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 PM
AUTOKITS-X
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
@Steveoh187... We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing. Not sure why you did not get in contact with us first, instead of posting a thread. We have sold a great quantity of diffusers for the past few years, and have not come across an issue like this.

Usually when a customer has a problem, they get in contact with us and we help them as much as we can to solve the problem. The diffuser is made with perfect fitment, and comes with all the required hardware for installation.

First off, we do provide the 3M double sided tape, but does not mean that it will work 100% of the time, it may accumilate dust during transit, so it is always good to check it before install.

Furthermore, the bumper has to be as clean as possible. Cleaning it with just water will not do, you will need to rub alcohol around the edges were the double sided tape will go. It is very important to get all the dirt and exhaust residue off the bumper, if not the tape will start coming off.

Adhesive is also a good method of getting the tape to stick. You can buy the adhesive at any Autozone. It works well with the 3M tape, and will not leave any residue after you remove the diffuser with a heat gun.

If you have any questions, or need further information, PLEASE call us and we will gladly help you out.

Regards
Autokits Team
Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 PM
AUTOKITS-X
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by U2vertigo1
I was considering this diffuser but it Seems like poor quality. If an item is
sold like this with a hit or miss method of installation it does not encourage me to buy it. Are others having the same issue or are these isolated incidents? Have you addressed it with Autokits?

We undesrtand your concern, but our items have never been poor quality. At times, you will face small issues, such as this one, but that does not make the item poor quality. We are one of the few companies that make good qulaity, good fitment, and products warrantied 100%.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by AUTOKITS-X
We undesrtand your concern, but our items have never been poor quality. At times, you will face small issues, such as this one, but that does not make the item poor quality. We are one of the few companies that make good qulaity, good fitment, and products warrantied 100%.
You have PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Steveoh187
Registered Member

@Steveoh187... We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing. Not sure why you did not get in contact with us first, instead of posting a thread. We have sold a great quantity of diffusers for the past few years, and have not come across an issue like this.

Usually when a customer has a problem, they get in contact with us and we help them as much as we can to solve the problem. The diffuser is made with perfect fitment, and comes with all the required hardware for installation.

First off, we do provide the 3M double sided tape, but does not mean that it will work 100% of the time, it may accumilate dust during transit, so it is always good to check it before install.

Furthermore, the bumper has to be as clean as possible. Cleaning it with just water will not do, you will need to rub alcohol around the edges were the double sided tape will go. It is very important to get all the dirt and exhaust residue off the bumper, if not the tape will start coming off.

Adhesive is also a good method of getting the tape to stick. You can buy the adhesive at any Autozone. It works well with the 3M tape, and will not leave any residue after you remove the diffuser with a heat gun.

If you have any questions, or need further information, PLEASE call us and we will gladly help you out.

Regards
Autokits Team
Hi,

Thanks for the reply regarding my thread, I in no way intended this thread to be a shot at Autokits or by any means derogatory. I simply was looking for advise from other forum members as to any issues they encountered with mounting they're diffusers and what method(s) they used to resolve them. As I mentioned in my first post, the second go-around I thoroughly washed the bumper, clay bar'd the whole thing and used plenty of rubbing alcohol to thoroughly dry off and clean the rear bumper where the diffuser was to be mounted. I also purchased some heavy-duty 3M VHB tape (I recall it was rated at 85lbs of holding strength) and used it generously across the diffuser.

The issue appears to be more of the weather eating away at the tape as both times the tapes appeared to have been worn down by exposure to the rain, sun, etc.... My logic this time around is that since I will be using the adhesive above and below the vhb tape, it will create a sort of seal for the tape to keep it from being exposed to the elements. This will hopefully alleviate the issues I have been encountering.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Steveoh187
Registered Member

The diffuser is made with perfect fitment, and comes with all the required hardware for installation.
And not to nit-pick but the diffuser is not perfect fitment, at least not the specific one I received (carbon fiber) as per the gaps I mentioned in my post along with a few other things I didn't go into. In any case, I will try the tape in combination with the adhesive and see if that gets the diffuser flush enough to my liking.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 AM
docaam

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Regards
Autokits Team
Hey Autokits team, Can anyone reply to my emails or pms sent a lot of them for the past months without any reply. I tried calling and left a message as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM
sniper27

+1. add excellent customer service to their quality products and warranty. if you have issues with their products, these guys will address it.

Quick Reply: Autokits - X Diffuser Installation Tips/Advice