Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Painting Faux Vent

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Sarah Brown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painting Faux Vent

Looking for a cheap mod to do tomorrow and I've decided to try and paint my faux vents on the front bumper (sides and middle -where new models have fog lights). Has anyone done this? I searched the forum but couldn't find much. I'm hoping to paint them a glossy black to match my newly wrapped grill better.
Attached Thumbnails Painting Faux Vent-after-grill.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 12:31 AM
BlackedOutNJ

Do you think plasti dip would work? My uncle has a black on red m3 and was thinking of dipping them red
Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 AM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Not sure I would try this, but if I were, I think I'd give the Krylon Plastic Fusion paint a try... Plasti dip is flat, and would look no different than what she already has. Shes painting the vents to get a gloss look.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:03 AM
betterdayz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grille looks good!! GL with the vents, in for pics!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 AM
TwoThree

PS; Order that damn tow hook cover.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:08 AM
DRQKNHT
SoCal Driven

Originally Posted by Sarah Brown
Looking for a cheap mod to do tomorrow and I've decided to try and paint my faux vents on the front bumper (sides and middle -where new models have fog lights). Has anyone done this? I searched the forum but couldn't find much. I'm hoping to paint them a glossy black to match my newly wrapped grill better.
Yes. I just did this last week. It came out great! As soon as I take better pictures of the front of my G I'll post it up do you can see.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:10 AM
TwoThree

The gloss vents on the matte wrap are gonna look sick!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Sarah Brown

Originally Posted by TwoThree
PS; Order that damn tow hook cover.
Haha, I did! I put it in yesterday. Looks 100% better!

Originally Posted by RDDLINE
Yes. I just did this last week. It came out great! As soon as I take better pictures of the front of my G I'll post it up do you can see.
Awesome. What did you use? I just bought some black spray paint and clear coat. Any tips? Did you just tape around the area?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:34 AM
TwoThree

Sarah, Pull those Vents out of the bumper and spray them. Just make sure you prep the plastic properly. Duplicolor prep spray works great for something like this.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Its gonna make the mesh stand out more and since they're just plastic pieces they look better in a flat black so they aren't too noticeable. Somebody else on here had the mesh done in silver and later painted them gloss black...both looked awful. The upper grill has horizontal slots, the lower grills have a mesh design...making them more noticeable will make it look worse/match less bc the difference in the grills will b more noticeable. Sometimes less is more
Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Sarah Brown

Thanks for your opinion but I think I'm going to try it anyway. That's what mods are all about. Trying something different and hoping it comes out great.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:59 AM
mystakin
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your opinion but I think I'm going to try it anyway. That's what mods are all about. Trying something different and hoping it comes out great.
I wouldn't say mods are all about trying something different and hoping it turns out great.. everyone has their own preferences to how they would like their car to look, sound, or perform and thats why they mod it. I don't think many people do it just to be different, but unique is a characteristic of modding just by the nature of it. Anyways, I would hate for you to paint your faux vents and not be happy with it, then you just wasted time and money, let alone being disappointed. Here is a picture I found of gloss black side faux vent, maybe this will help you invision your own car with it.

Name:  gen2coupe31.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  141.9 KB
Old 07-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Sarah Brown

Originally Posted by mystakin
I wouldn't say mods are all about trying something different and hoping it turns out great.. everyone has their own preferences to how they would like their car to look, sound, or perform and thats why they mod it. I don't think many people do it just to be different, but unique is a characteristic of modding just by the nature of it. Anyways, I would hate for you to paint your faux vents and not be happy with it, then you just wasted time and money, let alone being disappointed. Here is a picture I found of gloss black side faux vent, maybe this will help you invision your own car with it.

Wow, I like that! Thanks for the pic.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
I wouldn't do it. Its gonna make the mesh stand out more and since they're just plastic pieces they look better in a flat black so they aren't too noticeable. Somebody else on here had the mesh done in silver and later painted them gloss black...both looked awful. The upper grill has horizontal slots, the lower grills have a mesh design...making them more noticeable will make it look worse/match less bc the difference in the grills will b more noticeable. Sometimes less is more
So don't do it on your G then. I read Sara's OP a few times and I didn't see where she was asking for anyone's opinion on how it would look. I don't really think coming into someone's thread and saying the mod they are going to try is going to look "awful" is very nice.

Well said! Good luck with the painting. Adhesion spray for plastic works VERY well. Just spray the inserts before you spray them and let it dry before you spray them gloss black. Can't wait to see how they come out.

Originally Posted by mystakin
That looks very cool
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Sarah Brown

Originally Posted by Mattster
So don't do it on your G then. I read Sara's OP a few times and I didn't see where she was asking for anyone's opinion on how it would look. I don't really think coming into someone's thread and saying the mod they are going to try is going to look "awful" is very nice.

Well said! Good luck with the painting. Adhesion spray for plastic works VERY well. Just spray the inserts before you spray them and let it dry before you spray them gloss black. Can't wait to see how they come out.

That looks very cool
Thanks! I'm going to give a shot today! Pics to follow. Get excited.

Quick Reply: Painting Faux Vent