Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Any safe way to remove the small pits & scratches on headlight covers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Any safe way to remove the small pits & scratches on headlight covers?

Just painted my headlights and would love to have perfect or at least close to perfect covers again. Anyone know if there's a product or procedure that will at least improve the dings and light scratches on the covers.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure. There are a number of products out there for refinishing headlight cover/lenses that start with a sanding step if your damage is fairly severe. But I've had good results on moderate renovations with a Porter Cable random orbit (7424XP) and Meguiars M105 followed by M205.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:00 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Mudgen
Sure. There are a number of products out there for refinishing headlight cover/lenses that start with a sanding step if your damage is fairly severe. But I've had good results on moderate renovations with a Porter Cable random orbit (7424XP) and Meguiars M105 followed by M205.
Thanks, would this be everything I'd need? And would it also be a good machine for regular paint detailing?
DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads | Detailed Image
Old 07-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Yes, that's a good kit, from great people. I bought this one because I wanted a broader variety of pads:
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 5.5" Starter Kit | Detailed Image

I bought the larger sizes of M105/M205 with it, but the 32oz sizes will go a pretty long way. You only use the M105 when you're doing fairly serious correction.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Mudgen
Yes, that's a good kit, from great people. I bought this one because I wanted a broader variety of pads:
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 5.5" Starter Kit | Detailed Image

I bought the larger sizes of M105/M205 with it, but the 32oz sizes will go a pretty long way. You only use the M105 when you're doing fairly serious correction.
Thank you sir, here's a pic of my headlight covers, do you think I can get these showroom fresh, or close to it? Oh and when you want to do just the lights do you mask off the paint around the lights? Sorry for all the questions but a noob to this you know.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Definitely mask around them. The Meguiars two-step will get the scratches and surface crazing pretty nicely. If those are pits that you can feel dragging your nails across them, you may need to use some 1500-2000 grit sandpaper. One cool thing about this kind of correction is that you can start with the mildest solution and work backward to the most severe one until you get rid of the surface flaws you're after, then move back forward to the mildest to get the maximum shine. So, you can try M205 on a lens, see what it looks like, go to M105 if you still have issues. If corrected with the 105, go back to the 205, otherwise go to the wet sanding, and then back up through the 105-205.

I'd finish up with the Meguiars plastic polish product and a black pad. They'll come out looking like wine glasses.

Another tip: use the "Ask A Pro" forum on the Detailed Image site. Todd and the other guys are very helpful. I have no hubris about it if their recommendations are different from mine, I'm just telling you what's worked for me.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-23-2015)
Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Here are some examples of my friends headlight restoration work. If they are bad enough then wetsanding is required. If the pitting is deep you won't get it all out but you can get a like new shine. Make sure you get some UV protection on them after the polishing. He only charges $40.
https://sites.google.com/site/shinei...ery/headlights

https://sites.google.com/site/shineinmotion/Home
twin_snails (04-23-2015)
Old 07-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Yes, if they've gone milky like that, sanding is a must. blnewt doesn't have that, so he may get enough correction of the pitting with M105 without sanding. Then he can go buy sandpaper if he needs it.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:13 PM
stevo4756
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
IT'S ALIVE!

Blnewt, my headlights look just like your picture.

Did you have to wip out the sandpaper to correct the pitting?
Old 04-22-2015, 04:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by stevo4756
IT'S ALIVE!

Blnewt, my headlights look just like your picture.

Did you have to wip out the sandpaper to correct the pitting?
I never got around to cleaning those up
But I did clean up my old 07 G35 headlights (after I sold it to a friend, lol)
Just follow this DIY and you should have them looking 95% as good as new
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...storation.html
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
Daddy Fat Sacs (04-23-2015), twin_snails (04-24-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Sanding and wet sanding, then polishing (or in my case, I used blue then white buffing bars and a bench buffer wheel) will get them looking great. The only issue with the sanding is possible degradation of any UV coating which may cause early yellowing. If so, then you just buff it out a bit more often.

Was looking at that Porter Cable set, too. The wife was hesitant, but I clay barred half the hood of her truck last weekend. Now that she sees and feels the difference, I think I'm getting the green light for the polisher

Also, always cool to see mods and/or veteran owners that are giving so much valuable information still asking questions and learning. Have seen many on other forums that feel there is nothing more to be gained and that they know all that needs to be known. For the short time I've been here, the quality of the members and staff is quite apparent. Thank you all.
blnewt (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

^^Nice words there ^^
That DIY thread from Gio has a good solution for replacing the UV protection, or at least it's a suitable substitute, it's Blue Magic and probably available at most chain stores but not sure
BlueMagic
Flakman (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
^^Nice words there ^^
That DIY thread from Gio has a good solution for replacing the UV protection, or at least it's a suitable substitute, it's Blue Magic and probably available at most chain stores but not sure
BlueMagic
Oooh, sweet. A cheaper and easier option to the 3M UV film.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:50 PM
stevo4756
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Flakman
Sanding and wet sanding, then polishing (or in my case, I used blue then white buffing bars and a bench buffer wheel) will get them looking great. The only issue with the sanding is possible degradation of any UV coating which may cause early yellowing. If so, then you just buff it out a bit more often.

Was looking at that Porter Cable set, too. The wife was hesitant, but I clay barred half the hood of her truck last weekend. Now that she sees and feels the difference, I think I'm getting the green light for the polisher

Also, always cool to see mods and/or veteran owners that are giving so much valuable information still asking questions and learning. Have seen many on other forums that feel there is nothing more to be gained and that they know all that needs to be known. For the short time I've been here, the quality of the members and staff is quite apparent. Thank you all.
^^^ What that guy said, you guys are awesome. ^^^

[/QUOTE] ^^Nice words there ^^
BlueMagic [/QUOTE]

I did a little searching on the blue magic headlight sealant and while I found great reviews on the product, I also found a forum where someone who knows their chemicals seems to think it is no different than a high quality synthetic paint sealant like M21 or whatever you prefer... Top the m21 with collinite 845 and I hope that is a deadly combo that lasts at least a year.

Only time will tell...
Old 04-23-2015, 04:11 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by stevo4756

I did a little searching on the blue magic headlight sealant and while I found great reviews on the product, I also found a forum where someone who knows their chemicals seems to think it is no different than a high quality synthetic paint sealant like M21 or whatever you prefer... Top the m21 with collinite 845 and I hope that is a deadly combo that lasts at least a year.

Only time will tell...
If you end up going w/ that combo keep us posted

Quick Reply: Any safe way to remove the small pits & scratches on headlight covers?