Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One more advice!

You can top off some butyl rubber tape around the channels too
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks! I plan on doing just that (re-baking and using butyl tape.)

I might even take the lens apart again, to wipe the inside surface and see if any water may have trapped itself in the channels underneath the entire housing (area where the ballast is.) What are your thoughts on that? Do you think just baking will dry it out completely?

On wiping the inside clear lens housing, some suggest this, some don't. Any thoughts on that, too? On the con side of things, some folks argue that it's pre-treated and wiping it down will remove the UV coating and/or introduce scratches.

Another alternative, without opening it all up, is to spill isopropyl alcohol in there. IT should clean the lens up just fine, and dry up faster as well. But again, i've read horror stories of how the alcohol affects the condition of the plastic lens and/or chrome.

Thanks again, Weiboy.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Weiboy718

If you can see wet water spots on the inside of the lens "DO NOT BAKE IT". You will bake that hard water onto the lens.

Yes it's true that whenever you wipe the inside of the lens chances are it will scratch but sometimes it's necessary to do so. Best way to do that is use plastic cleaner and a 100% microfiber towel. Not those yellow Costco ones okay lol.

Idk what type of butyl tape you using and I recently found The Retrofit Source sells them and theyre the best, very close to oem type. When you apply just top it off along the channel over the factory sealant then when you bake it. Put the back housing in the oven(not the lens)and get it up to temperature where the sealant is soft then you close the 2 halves together.

Hope this helps you out and never mind my pm I guess.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:56 AM
soundmike

Hmm... so if baking is a no-go, how do you suggest i remove the water first so i can open it up, wipe and reseal?

I tried the 91% Isopropyl last night on a spare set of headlights, either there's some funky stuff going on with that set, or the 91% still isn't good enough for headlight cleaning (i read it should be lab grade methanol instead, for electronics, but this grade iso would work, too.) Anyway, the spare set now has white cell cultures --- like you would see on a petri dish. It also tarnished the chrome areas. Thank goodness for a spare parts set.

So, opening it up and wiping it down is the next step.

I have left over butyl tape for windows and sunroofs. It looks like the Nissan stuff, just in a different box. Ah, i hope it works on this set, can't really deal with another week of this happening.

Thanks again, Weiboy.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:17 AM
soundmike

So, here's an update.

As of this morning, the car is lifted, bumper down, both headlights out -- dismantled, lens cleaned inside-out, re-assembled and butyl taped like nobody's business. Everything works again and hope it stays that way *crossing fingers* I really want this ordeal to be done with, and have a problem-free G again!

(FTR, the past couple of weeks have been ... interesting. First this, followed immediately by a weird alignment throw... all four corners went completely whack -- going straight my steering wheel was tilted almost 45 degrees, etc... And when I took a tire off last night, there's a screw on the tire! No pressure lost, but still, it's less than 1k miles young! *sigh*)

Weiboy, if i haven't said it enough. Thank you.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by soundmike
So, here's an update.

As of this morning, the car is lifted, bumper down, both headlights out -- dismantled, lens cleaned inside-out, re-assembled and butyl taped like nobody's business. Everything works again and hope it stays that way *crossing fingers* I really want this ordeal to be done with, and have a problem-free G again!

(FTR, the past couple of weeks have been ... interesting. First this, followed immediately by a weird alignment throw... all four corners went completely whack -- going straight my steering wheel was tilted almost 45 degrees, etc... And when I took a tire off last night, there's a screw on the tire! No pressure lost, but still, it's less than 1k miles young! *sigh*)

Weiboy, if i haven't said it enough. Thank you.
Good enough buddy! I am glad it is working again and hope it'll stay that way!
Old 06-16-2024, 06:41 PM
Saffioti
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
do you still have your stock bulb? if so try that out first and if it still doesn't work try checking out your fuse located inside your battery box. if checks out it should be your ballast that's out. since you will have to drop your bumper anyway to get to the ballast you might as well try swapping the ballast to be sure.

yup, a ballast is a ballast. makes no difference between cars equip with afs or not. also, the ballast for the Z's will work too.

I have a question I have 2011 G37S I live in Florida, last week It was raining really hard and I went through a few roads that was flooded out. It got so wet that my intake filter got wet. I had to replace them. But now two days later my low beans on the driver side and passenger side do not turn on, my highbeams work all the lights work. It’s just my low Beans do not work. I checked the fuse which is good. I looked at the bulb. I can’t tell if that is good or not. If I have to replace the ballast how do I do that and how do I tell if my bulb is bad