Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Debadging questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:34 PM
ORdub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debadging questions

Was polishing up the new coue, and realized the Infiniti lettering on the back is a pain to clean around. I've seen a pic or two of cars that had it removed....but what's the process? How do you do it w/o screwing up the paint/clear coat? Does it leave a ghost on the car?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Search the DIY section. There's one in there for it.

Best advice I can give you is BE PATIENT when you're doing it. Slow is safe
Old 07-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I used 3M adhesive remover I bought at AutoZone...comes in a spray can. You spray it on so that it gets behind the letters and it dissolves the double sided tape in seconds. After that the letters will easily peel off. Doesn't damage the paint at all. I did the same thing to take off the splash guards as well.

I doubt that you'll have an outline of the letters in the paint...unless your car is REALLY old.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:49 PM
TimG37x
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used Goo Gone and dental floss.

When done the paint may have what looks like some very light surface scratches but after washing it a few times it disappears.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Sarah Brown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did mine last weekend. Left a little bit of a shadow (2008) but looks much better then it did before. I used dental floss, a hairdryer and some WD-40. Took about 40 minutes. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2012, 04:05 PM
ayarj12
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What I used: a hair dryer, floss, Turtle Bug and tar remover (Bug and Tar Remover | AutoZone.com), and a microfiber towel to wipe the spray off. No shadow or anything.

There's plenty of DIY's all over the internet and on these forums.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Deformer

Tips on how to remove and replace badges

I work at Metrowrapz.com we usually use like fishing string and pull it down between the car and the badge, it will separate the tape that's used to hold it on. then like the other posts mentioned just use a glue remover to take off the remaining tape... if you want to put it back on just get the red 3m tape from autozone or wherever and don't put the tape too close to the edge when you trim the excess off because you'll be able to see it.

Also I don't suggest trying to put it back on yourself, it's fairly difficult because the letters will be "dancing" unless they are lined up properly. One tip it to use some sort of straight edge and use a light double sided tape to tape it to your car and that will help to make sure the baseline is straight and everything lines up by bumping your letters right up to the straight edge.

Another strategy for putting the badge back on is to use wax paper, or the backing off some vinyl and then removing the tape from the badge and sticking it to the wax paper that way you can adjust it until it's perfect. Once you have it perfect you can use another tape, in the sign business it's called transfer tape, cover the face of your letters and pull it up just like you would a decal, and stick it back on all at once.

One more thing you might want to keep in mind is that the rear end of the car looks kinda plain and like it's missing something without the badge, or at least just the infiniti logo. I wasn't planning on putting it back on because I wanted to murder my car all black, but it looked so plain I had it painted so I could put it back on, black on black.

I attached an image of my badge after I had it painted matte black to match my wrap. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Debadging questions-img_1469-1-.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 06:23 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I just pulled mine apart by my finger tips. Then i used WD40 to get the 3M tape off. Then i just buffed it out and came out very clean.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
When I did mine there was some very light ghosting. You had to look for it to see it, but after about a month and several washes later you can't see it at all.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:58 PM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
i used dental floss, then rubbing alcohol to get the tape off. some ghosting is there, so washed the car, and waxed the trunk lid which toned it down. heard that clay-bar'ing the trunk would fix it so going to do that when i get time in the near future
Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Have you done this yet?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Is the Infiniti logo held on with just double sided tape as well or is it screwed on? I'm thinking about taking it off as well bc dirt particles get stuck in and around it and its a pain in the butt to clean then off, but I'm not sure if it will look TOO bare without anything back there...I already took off the Infiniti amd G37 letters
Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Just double sided tape, no screws. But I personally would leave it. Looks naked without the Mt. Fuji. Removing the I N F I N I T I is all I did, and even removing the G37 looks good, but I don't like it when its all removed. Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 PM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimG37x
I used Goo Gone and dental floss.

When done the paint may have what looks like some very light surface scratches but after washing it a few times it disappears.

That is what I did as well, however, the Goo Gone will remove the wax. When you are finished, simply rewax. I think it looks cleaner.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Tonewheel

Hair dryer and fishing line on a prior MB Kompressor worked great.

My '12 G37S was even easier. Parked in the 100 degree midwest sun one afternoon, trunk facing west (black car gets hot fast), no hair dryer needed. Letters came off super easy. Polish and seal. Done.

Quick Reply: Debadging questions