Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Amber Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by harp00n
The best thing you can do to your backlights is HID, like I have. Really helps at night at winter and in hard rains!
care to share more info? which kit? install? where to get it? pics? thx.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
I got asked in a PM for more details on wrapping the fog lenses. Rather than write directly, might as well put it here.

To remove the lenses, I unbolted the large front panel under the engine bay. There are 16 M6x20mm bolts with a 10mm hex head, and 3 plastic push-clips.

On each corner, you then unbolt the plastic panel that wraps up and under the wheel-well. You don't have to remove it, or remove the wheel, just unbolt and unclip it enough to bend it back and get your arm in.

Reach in and disconnect the fog bulb harness. Actually, it's easier if you just twist the harness and remove it from the lens than it is to unclip it. Just let it hang out of the way.

There are a number of push tabs (5? 6?) around the cross-hatched black panel. Feel your way around, and unclip them from the bumper, which allows you to push the entire assembly forward so that it falls out the front.

Once in your hands, you can easily unclip the lens itself from the larger panel. You can also unclip the chrome trim ring, but there's no reason to.

Obviously, clean the lens surface well before starting to apply the tint. Cut a decent section of tint material out, because you're going to want to be able to grab it and pull, and if the tint cut-out is too small, you can't do that.

With the lens in hand, I mounted a hot-air dryer on a stool so that it was fixed. Then remove the backing of the tint and heat it up.

Starting in the middle of the lens, lay it down, and stretch it to the edges. Work your way around, lift and re-apply where bubbles. You'll figure it out.

When done, use a razor to cut the tint around the sides like a half-inch or inch down from the edge.

Then I tightly wrapped electrical tape around the sides.

Re-assemble.

Admire.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
John, really appreciate your input here, and hope you don't mind the slight thread derail (but it is on topic )
Since I painted my lights all black the fogs are pretty much just driving lights now & I'd love to mount some bumper fogs. I found these and was wondering w/ your amber tint how you think they'd work. I really like the fact that they're round and seemingly bright enough, and w/ your tint they may be a good solution to mount in the mesh area since spacing behind the mesh is an issue w/ typical deep fog housings.
03-06 Infiniti FX35 Hi-Power 16 LED Fog Lights - Chrome FX35 Infiniti Lighting - Fog Lights Dash Z Racing
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
John, really appreciate your input here, and hope you don't mind the slight thread derail (but it is on topic )
Since I painted my lights all black the fogs are pretty much just driving lights now & I'd love to mount some bumper fogs. I found these and was wondering w/ your amber tint how you think they'd work. I really like the fact that they're round and seemingly bright enough, and w/ your tint they may be a good solution to mount in the mesh area since spacing behind the mesh is an issue w/ typical deep fog housings.
03-06 Infiniti FX35 Hi-Power 16 LED Fog Lights - Chrome FX35 Infiniti Lighting - Fog Lights Dash Z Racing
Thanks!
I can't offer any technical opinions on customizing fogs into the corner panels of your 2009, but if you're looking for my aesthetic opinion...

...I like these lenses for your car. At least, that's my first reaction. But not tinted, just as they are. I think the lens itself should stay as-is, with the edgy look of the reflectors maybe (maybe!) working well with your CF-wrapped grille.

It's a $110 gamble, eh? Sure is a fascinating design, isn't it? What with all those individual LED's, each with their own little reflector.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:36 PM
sniper27

Thanks!
for the mesh area on the 09, i would recommend Hella Micro DE fogs. They are small and should fit there well, and one of the best fogs I've used. Function wise.

Hella Micro DE Fog Light Kit
Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Really? IDK, sniper. Doesn't look like something I'd put on a G37.

Where the LED fog might be over the top, these here might be too far in the other direction.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 PM
sniper27

when it comes to lighting, i'm more function over form, i guess.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by sniper27
when it comes to lighting, i'm more function over form, i guess.
Good to know. And I'm sure I'd feel the same way if it mattered to me how well fog lights functioned. Fortunately, it doesn't in my climate and locale.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 PM
sniper27

the suggestion was geared towards blnewt, in case he cared.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

the suggestion was geared towards blnewt, in case he cared.
Thanks Sniper (and thanks John for letting the thread sidetrack a bit )
I like the Hellas but the housing goes back quite a bit, so much so that the wiper fluid tank may get in the way. I really want some functional fogs so that's my main concern. Sniper do you have any pics or info that may seal the deal??
Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 PM
sniper27

I don't have much info, as I've only experience these on a VW previously. I just know they work well. They are only 5.5 in long, so I'm not sure if it will hit your wiper fluid tank or not.
Here's some info on a coupe.

http://g35driver.com/forums/lighting...rill-pics.html
Old 08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I don't have much info, as I've only experience these on a VW previously. I just know they work well. They are only 5.5 in long, so I'm not sure if it will hit your wiper fluid tank or not.
Here's some info on a coupe.

http://g35driver.com/forums/lighting...rill-pics.html
Thanks for that link, those look really nice in there but a hellovalot of labor
Here's another link that soundmike dug up for me, these are pretty sweet too.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...ml#post2929532
I may just try the $110 16LED gamble and see what happens, should be a lot easier to fab those into the mesh. Thanks for all the options & opinions guys~
Now back to your regular scheduled thread
Old 08-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
I think you have your solution already, but if you're still looking for amber fogs, I think we have what you need.

We actually have a lot of people complain that they are amber and not yellow, because they are very deep/dark yellow.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
I think you have your solution already, but if you're still looking for amber fogs, I think we have what you need.

We actually have a lot of people complain that they are amber and not yellow, because they are very deep/dark yellow.
Do you carry LED fog lights similar to those 16 LED units above? I'd be very interested if you do, and if they're amber they should perform better in actual fog & rain than the white lights
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Do you carry LED fog lights similar to those 16 LED units above? I'd be very interested if you do, and if they're amber they should perform better in actual fog & rain than the white lights
Heck, if there were a plug-n-play lens replacement with 16 Amber LED's each with their own reflectors, I'd consider it for the G, too. It's an attractive idea.

Pretty interested in seeing how this works for you, Newt.

Quick Reply: Amber Fogs