Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Amber Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,650 Likes on 3,478 Posts
These fog lenses... they aren't crystal clear. They're kind of milky, kind of cloudy. Is it that way for any one else's G? Mine is barely a year old.

Wrapped things up just now (no pun). Pics:

Old 07-07-2012, 06:46 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Looks ok...not my cup of tea. But more importantly, how is light output effected in the dark?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by sniper27
Looks ok...not my cup of tea. But more importantly, how is light output effected in the dark?

And in my case, it's far less important than you would think. I'm almost never, ever in a situation where fog lights would matter, so the mod is decorative.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

After dark, I took the car out into some lonely, wooded roads. That's a pretty uncommon thing around here, but I know of a few places. There were no other cars, and no other light except my G. To answer Sniper's question, it's still noticeable when the fogs are on, but not so much as to matter... which was about what I expected.

However, getting out of the car and walking down the road a bit and looking back at the G with the fogs on in the pitch black, the aesthetic look was absolutely stunning. Quite a beautiful amber glow.

Two last thoughts: fogs get hot, and I'm concerned about how well the tint will hold up to the heat. And finally, I completely forgot how insanely bright and effective the G's projector HID headlights are. On a dark, wooded road with no other lights except the stars, the G37 will light up the road ahead like a UFO. It's pretty impressive.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-08-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 AM
vaio23
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Are you running stock hid headlight bulbs? Also how do you remove the fog light grill, do you have to remove the bumper?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:31 PM
sniper27

good point about the heat. let us know if you see any issues.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by vaio23
Are you running stock hid headlight bulbs?
Yes. All the bulbs are stock... except the back-up bulbs, the license plate bulbs, and the courtesy door lights.

Originally Posted by vaio23
Also how do you remove the fog light grill, do you have to remove the bumper?
No, you don't have to remove the bumper.
  1. Either take the entire lower engine cover off, or at least the half for the side you're working on. They're all 10mm hex head bolts. (Standard M6x20mm)
  2. Unbolt the lower corner panel for the side you're working on, and unclip it from the wheel-well. You don't have to remove it, just unclip and unbolt it enough to pull it aside and get your arm in there.
  3. Remove the fog bulb by twisting it a quarter-turn and pulling, which is much easier than unclipping the harness.
  4. There are 5 tab-clips holding the black crosshatched panel into the bumper. Push those clips in and work the panel forward out of the bumper. The chrome trim piece can stay clipped to it. No need to remove that.
  5. There's a single retention bolt for the fog assembly to the bumper. It's a 8mm hex-head. Undo that bolt.
  6. Remove the fog assembly.

That's it. The driver's side is a total PITA because of the washer fluid reservoir and the horn. Just bend the horn out of the way. Better yet, start on the passenger side so that you can get a feel for how it works.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

good point about the heat. let us know if you see any issues.
If it goes bad because of heat, then it'll certainly be removed.

And I'll be sure and post back if that happens. Too often people do mods that are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but never follow-up when it doesn't quite turn out that way. So, I'm not proud. If it fails, I'll say so.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes. All the bulbs are stock... except the back-up bulbs, the license plate bulbs, and the courtesy door lights.
Quoting myself, LOL.

But while I'm thinking of it, I happen to have a picture of the car's rear with the LED back-up lights, and the amber-LED license plate bulbs... but before the matte-black vinyl wrap on the bumper.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
John, hard to tell for sure from the pics but how far behind the plastic mesh does the entire fog assembly go back? I'm really thinking about purchasing the oem 2011 fogs (since my in-light fogs are now pretty useless since I painted my housing black). If they'll clear my washer tank I may give this a go, shouldn't be to hard to fab from looking at your pics.
Thanks!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
John, hard to tell for sure from the pics but how far behind the plastic mesh does the entire fog assembly go back? I'm really thinking about purchasing the oem 2011 fogs (since my in-light fogs are now pretty useless since I painted my housing black). If they'll clear my washer tank I may give this a go, shouldn't be to hard to fab from looking at your pics.
Thanks!
I can't measure it because they're no longer on my desk... they're in the car. But you're right that from the pics, it's not far at all.

You're going to need some pretty good fabrication skills, I think, in order to align them properly. Remember, the fog assembly itself is fitted and bolted into the bumper (by a single bolt). The crosshatched trim and chrome ring are simply clipped into the bumper *around* the fog. Even if you bought the parts, IDK how you're going to fix the fog light in place.

I also imagine OEM foglights from Infiniti will be silly expensive, but that's just a guess.

Here's a thread you'll probably be interested in:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...it-thread.html

Last edited by Rochester; 07-08-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
sniper27

which LED reverse bulb are you using?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

which LED reverse bulb are you using?
I don't actually know. Had a friend visit from Canada last month who's developed a pretty significant set of skills with lighting; even had a side-business for a while before getting swamped and backing off. You should see the any-colored dashboard he can dial in with a wireless remote into the dashboard of his G35. It's truly impressive.

Anyway, he came down with some gifts, including these back-up bulbs, which was a pretty serious array of LED's. And not your typical ebay crap, either. I know, I've bought LED's off ebay, and there's some garbage out there.

I was hesitant, because I didn't think the light output would be strong enough. But you know? It was! Go figure.

And it's beautiful. Not that I can see it often unless I'm backing up near an office building with lots of glass, but I know it's there.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM
sniper27

yes...i asked because I tried different LEDs out there and they are not bright enough for the reverse lights. But yours seem to be pretty bright.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The mesh? You mean the cross-hatched plastic cover? It clips right into the bumper skin, and the chrome trim clips into the black cover.

Here's the lens wrapped. Kind of crude, still. But good enough considering that the chrome trim hides the edges.

Have you considered amber bulbs rather than the vinyl wrap?

The reason I ask is because this photo makes your fog light look like one of those nasty butterscotch candies ... swapping the bulb may have more of the "OEM look" you seem to be going after (subtly is key)

Quick Reply: Amber Fogs