Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

What Distance For Remote Window Lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Gary U

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Distance For Remote Window Lowering?

I have a 2011 G37S Sedan and have a question regarding lowering the windows by remote. My windows will only lower with the remote keyfob when I am within 20' of the car. Kind of defeats the benefit as I would like to lower them from distance. I can lock or unlock the doors from the 4th floor in my office building with the car about 250' away from the building without a problem. Lowering the windows requires that I am nearly on top of the car. Not sure why one works from distance and not the other.

Anyone else have this problem? What is the furthest distance others can open their windows?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Dulanicki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a pointless feature. I can only roll down the windows about 2-3 feet away. That's why I never use it. I'm guessing if you have an aftermarket alarm installed, it should be able to be wired in and allow for longer range.
I did ask the Dealer about this when I first purchased the car and he said its a safety feature of the car that you don't accidentally roll down the windows.
To me it sounds like oops, we know it doesn't make sense but heres the best excuse we can come up with.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 PM
2009G37Bandit

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
What do you do to roll down the windows? I am in TEXAS and 20' with the windows dows helps BIG TIME! Gets the hot air out before I get tot he car to start it.

Thanks

Gary
Old 07-01-2012, 11:27 PM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009G37Bandit
What do you do to roll down the windows? I am in TEXAS and 20' with the windows dows helps BIG TIME! Gets the hot air out before I get tot he car to start it.

Thanks

Gary
Hold down the unlock button.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dulanicki
It's a pointless feature. I can only roll down the windows about 2-3 feet away. That's why I never use it. I'm guessing if you have an aftermarket alarm installed, it should be able to be wired in and allow for longer range.
I did ask the Dealer about this when I first purchased the car and he said its a safety feature of the car that you don't accidentally roll down the windows.
To me it sounds like oops, we know it doesn't make sense but heres the best excuse we can come up with.
Change your batteries and hold the key fob to your neck whilst pressing the button. Your head acts like an antenna and increases the distance dramatically.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:34 PM
2009G37Bandit

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LegitMW
Hold down the unlock button.
Thanks! Heck, that's easy
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009G37Bandit

Thanks

Gary
I am also in Texas - and I use this feature every day! I really wish they had covered parking at my office complex...but alas...no.

I assume the sensor is on top of the dash? Because when I have my sunshield in place, it seems the range is less.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:49 AM
Reno-ID-Doc

My wife's keyfob always rolls down the window better than my keyfob before. So, I tried putting a fresh new alkaline battery & avoid obstruction of transmission. Mine now works better. I could roll it down from 400 to 450 feet in many instances.

I've also noticed that in crowded parking spaces with multitude of cars parked. Even if there was no obstruction of transmission, the distance required will now be a third or half of what you could do in a relatively empty car park. I am not clear as to what may be the explanation of such phenomena.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
jude26

Is there a way to defeat the function?
I have had a few instances where its lowered the windows while in my pocket.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:19 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jude26
Is there a way to defeat the function?
I have had a few instances where its lowered the windows while in my pocket.
I would love to know that too. Pointless function only creates troubles, same to the stupid panic alarm.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Another trick to *quickly* get the cabin to release all the hot air:

- Go to the driver side door
- Open the window on the opposite side
- Open and close the driver side door several times

When it's *really* hot, this works better than just opening the windows and sitting there, especially without a breeze.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,652 Likes on 3,479 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
hold the key fob to your neck whilst pressing the button. Your head acts like an antenna and increases the distance dramatically.
This is not an urban myth. Crazy, but true.

Tech Myth: Holding the Car Remote to Your Head Increases Its Range | Apartment Therapy

But here's the thing: you only need a few seconds of the windows being down for the bulk of the hot air to dissipate. Whether you roll them down from 20 yards away or 20 feel... it doesn't matter. The job is done either way.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
This is not an urban myth. Crazy, but true.

Tech Myth: Holding the Car Remote to Your Head Increases Its Range | Apartment Therapy

But here's the thing: you only need a few seconds of the windows being down for the bulk of the hot air to dissipate. Whether you roll them down from 20 yards away or 20 feel... it doesn't matter. The job is done either way.
Rochester, I'm "feeling" you on this one.

I am usually too lazy to roll down my windows in advance, as both my cars have keyless entry. Using the remote would defeat this. I simply roll them down and drive the first few hundred feet to air out the car and then roll them up before hitting the highway.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,652 Likes on 3,479 Posts
Also, invest in a windshield sunscreen.

Which raises a really good guestion... which is the best sunscreen for the G? I'm using one from my previous car, and it's an awkward fit.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Also, invest in a windshield sunscreen.

Which raises a really good guestion... which is the best sunscreen for the G? I'm using one from my previous car, and it's an awkward fit.
I bought the OEM version. It has that DB logo and everything! In all seriousness, it is the correct size and was comparably priced to other options.

If you get it, be sure to stick the velcro to itself before putting it in your windshield. Otherwise the passenger A pillar will get a little roughed up.

Quick Reply: What Distance For Remote Window Lowering?