Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

What Distance For Remote Window Lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,652 Likes on 3,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Coprolite
I bought the OEM version. It has that DB logo and everything! In all seriousness, it is the correct size and was comparably priced to other options.

If you get it, be sure to stick the velcro to itself before putting it in your windshield. Otherwise the passenger A pillar will get a little roughed up.
OEM? Didn't even know there was one. I need to look into this.

Not referenced on Infiniti's website. Is it this one here... silver with the Brand and Logo in black? It's all over eBay for around $30.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
OEM? Didn't even know there was one. I need to look into this.

Not referenced on Infiniti's website. Is it this one here... silver with the Brand and Logo in black? It's all over eBay for around $30.

I have this one - works very well. And yes it helps. These 'custom fit' sunshades work much better than the Walmart variety. After getting this for my Gs, I bought a similar one for my Daughter's Mazda3 - again fits perfectly (from Amazon). You pay a few bucks more for them, but they are worth it.

Never thought to wrap the velcro to itself...now I know why the a-pillar looks a little scratched up!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine at the dealer for about $30, but that was a long time ago. It probably would be the same price as the ebay with shipping. I am going to mod it soon with reinforcing rods. 1.5 years of use in the Texas heat has caused it to go limp. I do realize that the 800 installs/removals has a large part to play in this, too.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Anybody have one of these? I've always been curious about them.
Eclipse sun shade, eclipse shade, unshade, heatshield sun shade

Or one of these would be cool.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I got mine at the dealer for about $30, but that was a long time ago. It probably would be the same price as the ebay with shipping. I am going to mod it soon with reinforcing rods. 1.5 years of use in the Texas heat has caused it to go limp. I do realize that the 800 installs/removals has a large part to play in this, too.
I called my local dealership, Dorschel Infiniti of Rochester, NY. Their phone system hung up on me twice before I got through to someone live. The parts guy kept asking me about the G35 (on my 2011 G?), and then asked me if it was a convertible, even after I said "sedan" three times. Finally he said he couldn't find anything.

So. Freaking. Useless.

Over the last 20 years, I've been unsatisfied with Dorschel on each and every point of contact. It seems that's a track record they're in no fear of compromising. Small wonder I went 400 miles out of state to find my car.

/rant
Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Coprolite

Same reason my family went **** Ide with their Hondas, I suppose. I really like the sales and service of Sewell Infiniti down here.

*Hilarious censorship. I think his full name is Richard, but any locals will know what I am talking about.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Same reason my family went **** Ide with their Hondas, I suppose. I really like the sales and service of Sewell Infiniti down here.

*Hilarious censorship. I think his full name is Richard, but any locals will know what I am talking about.
We bought our CR-V from Ide Honda. And back in 1983, I bought my very first new car ever from Ide Pontiac ('83 Firebird).

Ide is middle-of-the road. They're slick, like Dorschel, but more competent. However, the "free 4 life" oil changes? That's total BS. Complete bait-n-switch, marketing BS. About the best thing I can say about Ide is you'll get the best deal (money wise), but (!!!) you have to wrestle them for it. If you don't, you get ripped off just like everyone else.

Best dealership franchise in the area is Vision. Crude, but honest(ish). Oh, and Van Bortlel. She's a straight-shooter, too.

You in Rochester? Sig says TX.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-03-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
When I bought my sunshade, I tried to get it from the Infiniti dealership but they told me they had to order it. I went to the Nissan dealership and bought one for an Altima Coupe. It turns out Altima Coupes have a taller windshield. At least 3" higher and probably slightly wider. Works though as I don't need to use it very much.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Gary U

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Guess I am not the only one where the window lowering range is short.

Just to clarify a few points:

(1) The range is outstanding to lock or unlock the doors. It is just the window lowering function which does not work from a distance.

(2) Several car ago I had a 1999.5 Maxima SE-L which lowered the windows (front only) from the remote. Same building, distance, etc and that car worked fine where the Infiniti will not come close.

Gary
Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Coprolite

Originally Posted by Rochester
We bought our CR-V from Ide Honda. And back in 1983, I bought my very first new car ever from Ide Pontiac ('83 Firebird).

Ide is middle-of-the road. They're slick, like Dorschel, but more competent. However, the "free 4 life" oil changes? That's total BS. Complete bait-n-switch, marketing BS. About the best thing I can say about Ide is you'll get the best deal (money wise), but (!!!) you have to wrestle them for it. If you don't, you get ripped off just like everyone else.

Best dealership franchise in the area is Vision. Crude, but honest(ish). Oh, and Van Bortlel. She's a straight-shooter, too.

You in Rochester? Sig says TX.
Grew up in Pittsford. Now in Fort Worth raising family. Ide is still servicing my parents 2 cars, what is the bait and switch? I haven't hit a dealer yet that will give you the best deal if you dont act like a shark.

It pays to be prepared...why not just go for the eBay one? It LOOKS like mine and mine has done ok...except for the Soon to come bamboo reinforcement.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Bait-n-switch refers to writing up a sale on a car they have no intention of locating.

Bait-n-switch refers to the claim that you can have free oil changes for life, but only if you spend grossly unnecessary money on overpriced service plans. Seriously, there are only so many times you can have the pistons greased in your calipers. They're cheap Honda brakes... no AMG found here.

They have a business model which calculates more advantageous revenue in duping customers rather than building a loyal and trusted base. It's embarrassing for their service staff watching them trying to sell customers things they don't need. The honest ones have a real hard time rationalizing it.

They just aren't a reputable dealership. But, if you push your case, you will get the best deal on a Honda in this area. Not great, but clearly best.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:23 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I can open my windows from about 60-70 feet with six month old batteries used 3x a day. Also, I've found that holding the fob with two fingers and with the edge facing the car and the fob buttons facing my direction seems to work better when farther away. That's with minimal experimentation, btw.. :-)
Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
As far as a windshield screen I go to REI and get their large solar heat/space blanket. It's silver on one side and red on the other and very thin like a strong mylar sheet. It's quite large so I cut it to fit my windshield which I measure from the outside of the car. The reason for this is that I put the cover on the outside of the windshield not on the inside. The excess overhangs the end and then when I close the door, the window rolls up the final 1/2" or so and locks it on the car nice and tight. Now why on the outside?

If you know anything about the sun and what happens when it passes through glass, it turns most of the UV light changes into infrared light. It's the infrared light which adds the heat to the car's interior. So if your screen is on the inside, yes you will protect the dash and steering wheel from the sun, but the sun's energy will now be turned to heat which heats the air inside the car. Now you're going to tell me that the silver reflector will reflect that heat (infrared wave) back out the window. Not as much as you might think. Ever wonder why most of these reflectors start to sag a lot as they get older? That's because of the heat generated by the UV being changed by the glass into the infrared wave length. That's a big heat lamp folks which slowly starts to melt the mylar and foam material they are often made of. Also you've already heated up the air in the car and that just builds up to a certain level and stays there. If you don't let the sun in to begin with, then you will not be letting in that potential for a large heat gain. Thus the total heat gain is lower and usually comes from the side and rear windows rather than the front windshield.

Also the REI space blanket is only around $10-$13. I've been doing it for over 20 years and it works great. A little more time to put on but well worth it to me.

Al

Last edited by Track Bandit; 07-03-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Track Bandit
As far as a windshield screen I go to REI and get their large solar heat/space blanket. It's silver on one side and red on the other. It's quite large so I cut it to fit my windshield which I measure from the outside of the car. The reason for this is that I put the cover on the outside of the windshield not on the inside. The excess overhangs the end and then when I close the door, the window rolls up the final 1/2" or so and locks it on the car nice and tight. Now why on the outside?

If you know anything about the sun and what happens when it passes through glass, it turns most of the UV light changes into infrared light. It's the infrared light which adds the heat to the car's interior. So if your screen is on the inside, yes you will protect the dash and steering wheel from the sun, but the sun's energy will now be turned to heat which heats the air inside the car. Now you're going to tell me that the silver reflector will reflect that heat (infrared wave) back out the window. Not as much as you might think. Also you've already heated up the air in the car and that just builds up to a certain level and stays there. If you don't let the sun in to begin with, then you will not be letting in that potential for a large heat gain. Thus the total heat gain is lower and usually comes from the side and rear windows rather than the front windshield.

Also the REI space blanket is only around $10-$13. I've been doing it for over 20 years and it works great. A little more time to put on but well worth it to me.

Al
Why does that sound so reasonable? Exterior shade for days you *know* won't rain, and interior shade for all the other times. Brilliant.

Thinking... thinking...
Old 07-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Well I've never been accused of being reasonable before. Thanks for the compliment.

Al

Quick Reply: What Distance For Remote Window Lowering?