Leather seating surface wearing off

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Leather seating surface wearing off

Do you think I have a valid complaint?

I began to notice this problem with my driver's seat in late January when the car was 7 months young. The leather finish should not come off easily in a short time. I am the only driver of this car. I take very good care of it. I clean and condition the seats 5-6 times a year.
Sorry the pics are sideways. Photobucket is not cooperating

I sent the dealership these same pictures. They have ordered a new seat back for me but they will decide if I get it under warranty after they inspect the seat in person.

This is my second G ( I had a new 07x prior) and I never had any problem with the seats in that. The seats (the whole car for that matter) looked nearly as good as new when I traded it after 4 years.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 06-30-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I'd say they should give it to you, but wear and tear is a subjective thing. I'd just fight them on it if they decide to charge you. And if you traded in your old g35 to them you should be able to use the great condition of your old seats as proof that you take care and pride in your car.

I noticed the same thing in my car. My g35 seats held up great, whereas my 37 looks much more worn than I'd expect.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:54 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
I have the same thing happening on my 08. I brought it in and they said it was wear and tear and wouldn't replace it under warranty. Good luck though. Some service reps are more understanding than others.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
I have the same thing happening on my 08. I brought it in and they said it was wear and tear and wouldn't replace it under warranty. Good luck though. Some service reps are more understanding than others.
This is 7 months old though. My previous one was 48months old and never showed any signs of this type of wear. Something just isn't right.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
slickg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is a 2011 and the seats are starting to look like they are fading....so I have been thinking about taking it in to have them look at it as well.

I went through this before for a family member. (I had to get it taken care of for them) They had the same issues with Lexus. At first they weren't going to cover it. Another tech heard what was going on and told me to escalate it with corporate. Well I did and when they saw that this was their fourth or firth LS they changed their tune and fixed it for free since we are loyal customers.

Use that.... Make sure they know this isn't your first purchase with them. The car is less than one year old. Use the......Why would I ever want to buy a car from Infiniti again if they wont stand behind a product that is less than 12 months old?

But also let me know how much they try and charge you so I know how much a seat is from the factory.... please
Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
They threw in that "interior and exterior" protection junk with mine. Gave me paperwork with 7 years warranty on it against fading/rips/damages. I know the actual product they use isn't anything worthwhile, but it gives some extra ammo if anything goes wrong for them to fix it, plus it didn't cost me anything.

If they give you the run around or down the road it happens again, I used this on my last car and it gave decent results:
Leather Repair Kits - Do it yourself leather repair products for furniture auto just about anything leather or vinyl

not a miracle by any stretch, but it did a reasonable job.

Anyway goodluck, they should fix it for you
Old 06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

I have an appointment to replace the seat-back on Tuesday morning. They say they'll need the car for 4-5 hours so they will provide a loaner for me to get back to work.
I'll keep you posted (either way) if they follow through with the replacement.
Cheers
Old 06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
gooddeal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is almost 2 years old and my seat looks very good...never condition, just wipe out w/ a dry clothe.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:54 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Do you think I have a valid complaint?

I began to notice this problem with my driver's seat in late January when the car was 7 months young. The leather finish should not come off easily in a short time. I am the only driver of this car. I take very good care of it. I clean and condition the seats 5-6 times a year.
Sorry the pics are sideways. Photobucket is not cooperating

I sent the dealership these same pictures. They have ordered a new seat back for me but they will decide if I get it under warranty after they inspect the seat in person.

This is my second G ( I had a new 07x prior) and I never had any problem with the seats in that. The seats (the whole car for that matter) looked nearly as good as new when I traded it after 4 years.
Do you happen to wear those jeans that have studs and rivets on the back pockets? It looks like something is taking chunks out of the leather on the side bolster...

My 2003 350Z seats still looked new when I trade it in last year. My 2010 G still looks new too...
Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
Do you happen to wear those jeans that have studs and rivets on the back pockets? It looks like something is taking chunks out of the leather on the side bolster...

My 2003 350Z seats still looked new when I trade it in last year. My 2010 G still looks new too...
No. I dress the same for work, day in and day out, as I did when I had my 07x for 4 years. The seats (mine anyways) are just not as well made as they once were.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Igorsky

Thats pretty significant wear there. Maybe the cow used for that section had a skin disease??? good luck with the fix.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Update - seat back replaced

I have an appointment to replace the seat-back on Tuesday morning. They say they'll need the car for 4-5 hours so they will provide a loaner for me to get back to work.
I'll keep you posted (either way) if they follow through with the replacement.
Cheers
I have said it before (see here). Guelph Infiniti has to be one the the best dealerships anywhere.
They provided me with (they rent for clients) a 2012 G37X loaner. Now I understand the laggy throttle bad shifting transmission people complain about. Makes me happier to have the 6MT
Seat back has been replaced, as (IMO) it should have been.

Invoice.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have said it before (see here). Guelph Infiniti has to be one the the best dealerships anywhere.
They provided me with (they rent for clients) a 2012 G37X loaner. Now I understand the laggy throttle bad shifting transmission people complain about. Makes me happier to have the 6MT
The 2012 is the "fixed" transmission programming that all others are now being updated to... If it was a '12 and had lag, yo uwouldn't want to drive an '11 or '10 with the previous update(s)!!!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:29 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
glad to hear you obtained satisfactory warranty service. if there is a legitimate product flaw or workmanship issue the dealer shouldn't put up too much of a fuss. they do get paid, after all, as it's Infiniti/Nissan that is invoiced. the only differences are the dealer can't mark-up the parts or labour hours. work hours are based on ACTUAL re+re times, not the book time.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:33 AM
XSivG

"The 2012 is the "fixed" transmission programming that all others are now being updated to... If it was a '12 and had lag, yo uwouldn't want to drive an '11 or '10 with the previous update(s)!!!!"....quoted by Marc Collins

Marc not necessarily so, from what I've read some early build 2012's do in fact suffer the same tranny issues as the '10/'11 model years !!!

Quick Reply: Leather seating surface wearing off