Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Seat moves under hard braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 AM
Sharkroy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat moves under hard braking

Anyone else experience your driver's seat moving forward slightly under braking? Just a little movement (like 1/8 inch) but enough to feel it go forward then back (sort of like a clunk?). Did a search, but came up with no previous posts.

I was thinking of taking it apart a little (have worked on my G35 seat previously doing the "headroom" mod) to see if something is loose or wore out. Has anyone done this before? Thanx.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 AM
SkylineAWD

The only thing I could think of would be the mounting bolts. I've never had this though.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:36 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
This reminds me of the good old ghetto karting days
Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM
btran104

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea i have this same problem = (
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I have this problem to!! If anyone knows of a fix please let us know. Cars warranty just ran out too =/
Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Even though the warranty is out, I'm wonderng if you could make an argument that's it's a safety thing and include it with the seatbelt warranty. I mean it's not like the seat adjustment motor or switches have burned out..lithe damn seat is moving when breaking.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:20 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, I have been experiencing the same thing.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:33 PM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkroy1
Anyone else experience your driver's seat moving forward slightly under braking? Just a little movement (like 1/8 inch) but enough to feel it go forward then back (sort of like a clunk?). Did a search, but came up with no previous posts.

I was thinking of taking it apart a little (have worked on my G35 seat previously doing the "headroom" mod) to see if something is loose or wore out. Has anyone done this before? Thanx.
I have same problem in a sedan. I had my lower seat replaced due to the motor making a grinding noise when going forward. After the replacement I noticed the seat moving forward when braking hard. I notice it more on stop and go traffic. I took the car to the dealer and they said that no bolts were loose. Maybe it is the rail? I am still under warranty and I definitely noticed the problem after my seat was replaced. I've driven the loaners and they don't do this so it is a problem on some cars.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:47 PM
buckets

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought i was going nuts when i first got the car, both my seats do it and it's irritating. keep us posted if you find anything out. i can feel it if i grab the thigh bolsters and wiggle back and forth in the seat when the car is in park.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Sharkroy1

Yeah, I think it is slop in the rails, not loose mounting bolts etc, so I'm not sure what can be done from my end yet (out of warranty). I'm going to get into the seat tomorrow and I'll post what I find. Hopefully, if it is some kind of "stopper" along the rail that is worn or can be worked back into shape, I can create a DIY.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkroy1
Yeah, I think it is slop in the rails, not loose mounting bolts etc, so I'm not sure what can be done from my end yet (out of warranty). I'm going to get into the seat tomorrow and I'll post what I find. Hopefully, if it is some kind of "stopper" along the rail that is worn or can be worked back into shape, I can create a DIY.
that would be great!! might also wanna try the dealership too. Even tho its out of warranty it could be considered a safty issue
Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't really speak for the G37 because it hasn't happened to me yet but on my G35, this started happening and it got worse and worse. One of the rails that the seat is mounted to broke. Eventually it turned into at least an inch of rocking when I hit the brakes or accelerated hard. Anyone still under warranty, get it checked out. If your warranty just ended, still go to the dealer and ask them about doing it. They may do it as a courtesy service. They may require some other service in order to throw it in (such as tune up).

IF it is the same thing that happened in my G35, it is going to suck very soon LOL.

Last edited by Wyldfyer; 04-24-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
This is what I love about this site. This is good information. Although it hasn't happened to me I will be watching out for the seat moving.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Damn, I have the same thing.

Thought I was crazy.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:23 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I had this issue as well. It was indeed slop in the rails. They replaced the entire frame and its been fixed. I work at Infiniti and you should be able to make a "safety" complaint in which Nissan would take care of the problem. It may take some work, since some dealers are sticklers, but an out of warrantee, can be repaired under warrantee. we call it good willing it.

Quick Reply: Seat moves under hard braking