Body Interior Exterior Lighting

New Take on GT-R Tails

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by idajones
Hey sorry to use this thread but I thought it would be useful to mention how well of a job Mindos and MMMotorsports did on my car as well. Here are a few pictures - I apologize for a crappy iphone pics as well as the blurriness of them (it was kind of windy where I was)

On a further note, MMMotorsports does high quality work at very, I can't stress this enough, VERY competitive prices. I normally go to A & L to get some of my work done but as of now I am very impressed at the quality of work done my Mindos and his people. I definitely plan on getting additional work done to my car and will be there again!

Once again thank you Jared on helping me find this location.

You are very welcome... I want everyone to know about this place in Chicago cause they honestly are looking to grow in this industry and I have never been more happy with someone's work!

And yeah, I am an A & L converted man myself (not that they did a bad job on things for me, but MMMotorports is fixing some minor things from them)... I honestly would not take my car to any shop other than MMMotorsports ever again though... His work has honestly "impressed" me (not just did what I wanted) and I cannot begin to explain how hard that is to find and how almost relieving it is to know of a shop like this that I can so truely trust with my car. I would never say this about a shop or recommend them so highly if I did not truely believe in them and I am so incredibly particular about things when it comes to this.

That shop detailed my car the other day for the Auto Mass show and showed me some pics of your car that I had him text me. Haha, they are not great pics but a little clearer than the ones above! That lip came out very nice and is a good look for the G!

And here is a shot from the rear, haha twin!

Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Here are some sh!tty iPhone pics of how my detail came out for me! You still get the idea, car was very clean for the show! :

Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
You should make a template of the tails and start selling them. That way people can just put the template on the tails and paint over it. No need to take it to a shop and experiment with their work.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Presto
You should make a template of the tails and start selling them. That way people can just put the template on the tails and paint over it. No need to take it to a shop and experiment with their work.

It would not be as easy as that... a template could most certainly be made, but there is a certain level of alignment and prep work involved that goes into it that would leave for a lot of room for error still. That would be my only concern. It is certainly not something that I would recommend anyone trying on their own without a shop even with the templates.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
mindawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name is Mindaugas and guys look like they mean business. I will be calling him to get mine done. All chicago Gs will have same tails lol. I posted some meet pics in chicago thread. maybe you wanted to add some
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
xSSv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great Jared... Saw these in person at the meet, your guy did a nice job.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 PM
OGtripleOG37
Registered Member

wow! very impressed with this. you've inspired me to take on this mod one day. thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 PM
SilverLeaf

Those look awesome! Great job. So if I understand what the shop did:

- masked off the round circles where the light bulbs are
- sanded the area around that to make the paint stick better
- spray painted the outside of the lenses using translucent paint

Is that right? If so, is it any different than whan 180customs does? I think they mask off the lenses and paint the lenses on the outside too. They normally using solid paint from what I understand, though you can request a translucent tint instead.

I wish 180 customs still painted in the inside of the tail lights, and that it wasn't insanely expensive for that option.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mindawg
Name is Mindaugas and guys look like they mean business. I will be calling him to get mine done. All chicago Gs will have same tails lol. I posted some meet pics in chicago thread. maybe you wanted to add some
Haha, yeah seems like this will be a popular look around the area Oh well, I would rather this shop get the business as they really are great. A part of me will die inside when I see it on the road though... haha

Originally Posted by xSSv
Looks great Jared... Saw these in person at the meet, your guy did a nice job.
A thank you sir!

Originally Posted by OGtripleOG37
wow! very impressed with this. you've inspired me to take on this mod one day. thanks!
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by SilverLeaf
Those look awesome! Great job. So if I understand what the shop did:

- masked off the round circles where the light bulbs are
- sanded the area around that to make the paint stick better
- spray painted the outside of the lenses using translucent paint

Is that right? If so, is it any different than whan 180customs does? I think they mask off the lenses and paint the lenses on the outside too. They normally using solid paint from what I understand, though you can request a translucent tint instead.

I wish 180 customs still painted in the inside of the tail lights, and that it wasn't insanely expensive for that option.
I am sure 180 could do it but I am very particular about exactly how I wanted it and the stencil or cutouts taht 180 uses are the slightest bit different in a way I did not like and he was able to remedy that for me to my liking.

Not sure why the stopped opening up the tails to paint but it must have been more work than it was worth...
Old 05-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Sarah Brown

That looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Sarah Brown
That looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I missed this Sarah, thank you, thank you!!!

Also, I want to note again that he is able to accept tail lights from anywhere and ship them back out after doing this in a relatively quick turnaround time. I have gotten a few PM's recently about this so I figured I would throw it out there. I know that he has gotten a few tail lights from as far as CA, and FL so far...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
AceJack

What roof spoiler is that? I really like it! Also where can i get it? BTW your tails are really awesome. I may look into something like that as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
by far the cleanest looking coupe I have seen thus far! keep it up!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by AceJack
What roof spoiler is that? I really like it! Also where can i get it? BTW your tails are really awesome. I may look into something like that as well.
It is the Stillen roof spoiler, they sell it on their website but you could search for it used to start. Thank you for the compliment!

Originally Posted by Goonz
by far the cleanest looking coupe I have seen thus far! keep it up!
Wow, this is a compliment that I do not really feel I deserve but thank you very much. I am working on it though and will have a nice update thread coming soon! Thank you for the kind words though!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

^^^ haha, BTW AceJack, you asked me that on the first page of this thread already and I answered it on the second page... This time remember!!!

Quick Reply: New Take on GT-R Tails