Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Best top coat for painted grill?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Tha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best top coat for painted grill?

Hey guys! I've recently blacked out my grill using Krylon fusion spray paint. To finish it off, I used PPG concept clear coat. After leaving it to dry for an hour or two it just didn't look right. I ended up removing both paint and clear coat. Using PPG concept was way to hard and I wanted to look for a clear coat from a can to make things easier. Any suggestion on which clear coat I should use? I'm looking for a flat black(matte look). Thanks!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tha
Hey guys! I've recently blacked out my grill using Krylon fusion spray paint. To finish it off, I used PPG concept clear coat. After leaving it to dry for an hour or two it just didn't look right. I ended up removing both paint and clear coat. Using PPG concept was way to hard and I wanted to look for a clear coat from a can to make things easier. Any suggestion on which clear coat I should use? I'm looking for a flat black(matte look). Thanks!
why are you using clear coat for a flat/matt black look? anytime you add clear to a flat/matt paint it'll become a cleared coated color. suggestion is to just use the base paint and add a few layers.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
why are you using clear coat for a flat/matt black look? anytime you add clear to a flat/matt paint it'll become a cleared coated color. suggestion is to just use the base paint and add a few layers.
I believe they also sell a flat clear coat for that matte finish.

Painting with enamel and not putting ANY kind of clear is seriously a wast of time cause that **** will chip wicked quick.

OP...I used rust-o-lium wheel clear. It's good on plastic and metal. It's super tough. You can buy it at autozone for $7 a can.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rad_Slinger; 02-26-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Btw OP...

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...my-grille.html

I used his supplies and his procedure and my grille came out awesome.

Check it out.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
I believe they also sell a flat clear coat for that matte finish.

Painting with enamel and not putting ANY kind of clear is seriously a wast of time cause that **** will chip wicked quick.

OP...I used rust-o-lium wheel clear. It's good on plastic and metal. It's super tough. You can buy it at autozone for $7 a can.

Good luck!
yea, they do have a clear coat Matte finish and regardless it may still get chips just as easy.