Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Best paint to use for blackingout grill???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Tha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best paint to use for blackingout grill???

Hey guys! I'm thinking about blacking out the grill on my G but don't really know what type of paint to use? Would matte grill look better on a blacked out G? Suggestion please! Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 PM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Krylon fusion for plastic
Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 PM
xtremeroller

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
PPG auto paint
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 PM
ColesAircraft

That depends if you have access to a spray gun or not.

If you do: PPG catalyzed lacquer. It doesn't dry - it cures, and when it does it's hard as a rock. It's also relatively safe and extremely easy to apply.

Nothing in a can comes close.

In either case: rough up the surface with steel wool beforehand, and don't skimp on using primer! This is the front end of your car and it will get sand blasted all day long, so avoid all those little chips by exercising some surface prep.

That's my advice.

Ron

Last edited by ColesAircraft; 02-17-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What I did was use plastidip the first time to see how it would look on a car. I like it so when it gets warm, im going to do it properly. Its a good way of seeing how it would look if you had a little chrome on it like the top strip and the bottom, or if you want no chrome on it.

I saw a DIY and someone used Krylon fusion.. it came out pretty good from what i saw in pictures
Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Tha

Thanks guys! Would I have to sand down the grill first before painting it? And if so, what kind of sand paper would I use?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 AM
ColesAircraft

Originally Posted by Tha
Thanks guys! Would I have to sand down the grill first before painting it? And if so, what kind of sand paper would I use?
Nothing likes to stick to chrome. If you paint over it without roughing up the surface first, the only thing the paint will stick to is itself. One chip and it'll really start to flake off. Even a car wash could wreck it.

If you're going to mask any of it off, do that first, then use steel wool to rough it up. Sandpaper is okay, but steel wool will contour to the surface better and be a lot easier to use.

Also, degrease the surface before you do anything. Even Windex will do the job okay. And don't touch the area to be painted until you've painted. Paint hates oil even more than it hates chrome.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Tha

Originally Posted by ColesAircraft
Nothing likes to stick to chrome. If you paint over it without roughing up the surface first, the only thing the paint will stick to is itself. One chip and it'll really start to flake off. Even a car wash could wreck it.

If you're going to mask any of it off, do that first, then use steel wool to rough it up. Sandpaper is okay, but steel wool will contour to the surface better and be a lot easier to use.

Also, degrease the surface before you do anything. Even Windex will do the job okay. And don't touch the area to be painted until you've painted. Paint hates oil even more than it hates chrome.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:43 AM
tbone12

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used the Infiniti factory OB to paint my grille, it turned out great!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Xenolith666

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just plasti-dipped mine.. it's a flat black.. came out pretty good though.. but eventually like you i'll be going gloss black.

Last edited by Xenolith666; 07-25-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Never could understand why people use a 7$ can of Plasti Dip on a $40K car. Spend the 200 and get it done professionally, or look for a D.I.Y and spend 20$ and do it yourself!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:31 PM
BlkG-37S

Originally Posted by pauliewalnutzz
Never could understand why people use a 7$ can of Plasti Dip on a $40K car. Spend the 200 and get it done professionally, or look for a D.I.Y and spend 20$ and do it yourself!
I see why people do it, but I agree with this statement. I was going to DIY this as well, but decided to fork the extra cash and buy the OEM Midnight Grill to avoid "cheapening" the car with plasti-dip. Although, some I have seen on here have come out pretty good. Being this is the most expensive car I have owned to date, I rather just buy quality parts then go the cheap route...that's just me though. To each their own
Old 02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
daicon0

DIY especially painting takes a lot longer than it appears. Plus it requires a higher level of detail. If you want to plastidip then go for it but take it from a guy who tried it and took it off 3 months later because it fades and looks cheap. Although if you're DIY then by all means experiment. At the end of the day it's just a car and it's yours to do what you want to it.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:05 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm rockin' plastidip and I think it looks great. Plus I still have $197 dollars i can spend.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Mysticalism

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take it to a shop, i wouldn't do anything but professional paint

no offense to some people on the forum, DIY just doesn't look at nice. especially plastidip, looks too cheap for me. Out cars are considered luxury, i personally think you shouldn't cheap out on things like that.

Quick Reply: Best paint to use for blackingout grill???