Just got my G's windows tinted

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:00 AM
xtremeroller

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by G37fanatic
main reason i did it too! haha and other "adult" reasons haha
^^LMAO!!!!
Nice to see another red G on here. Looks good.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM
LanceB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings all,

I have a red 08, looks like the one the OP put up a picture of, and a week ago I got 3M Ceramic film put in -- 50% on the sides, and 30% on the back and rear sides. (The cops around here are notorious for ticketing tinted cars, so the 50% was my best bet for the front sides.)
Here's my question for you guys that have tints: when you wear sunglasses with polarized lenses, do you get a "rainbow" effect out the sides? That's what I'm getting now. The installer says that's the situation for all films, he has two pairs of sunglasses, and wears the non-polarized ones when he's driving.
Here's my next question: do you get "multiple" headlight images through the back window at night? That's what I'm getting. The installer says that's the same for any film that gets installed over the rear-window defroster elements. The extra film layer makes the light refract at every line, and it causes about a hundred extra images, one through every clear "stripe" of glass. Is that what all of you are getting? (I'm new to this, I guess, so these issues were a surprise to me. I just want to make sure the guy isn't just blowing smoke.)
thanks, LanceB

Last edited by LanceB; 02-24-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:01 PM
G37S-OONER
Banned

5% here... Sooner...
Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 PM
VTCMart

Originally Posted by LanceB
Greetings all,

I have a red 08, looks like the one the OP put up a picture of, and a week ago I got 3M Ceramic film put in -- 50% on the sides, and 30% on the back and rear sides. (The cops around here are notorious for ticketing tinted cars, so the 50% was my best bet for the front sides.)
Here's my question for you guys that have tints: when you wear sunglasses with polarized lenses, do you get a "rainbow" effect out the sides? That's what I'm getting now. The installer says that's the situation for all films, he has two pairs of sunglasses, and wears the non-polarized ones when he's driving.
Here's my next question: do you get "multiple" headlight images through the back window at night? That's what I'm getting. The installer says that's the same for any film that gets installed over the rear-window defroster elements. The extra film layer makes the light refract at every line, and it causes about a hundred extra images, one through every clear "stripe" of glass. Is that what all of you are getting? (I'm new to this, I guess, so these issues were a surprise to me. I just want to make sure the guy isn't just blowing smoke.)
thanks, LanceB
I haven't noticed the multiple headlights, but the rainbow effect with polarized sunglass + tint I have noticed in 3 different cars, there is no way around it. You get use to it though and you should be looking out the front anyways! If you get use to driving with polarized glasses there is no going back.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
LanceB

Thanks for the input. I've asked around work, and everyone says the same thing about the polarized sunglasses. You're right, after a week I don't notice it much now.
The rear window thing is a little bothersome, but I'm getting used to that as well.

thx,
LanceB
Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
BigcatG37s

Looks great! I just bought an 08 G37s coupe graphite and looking to get tinted this weekend..will post pics. 35% is legal limit in NC and cops love ripping people for darker tints.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
bamado

Titanium vs Charcoal

I have an 09 coupe and one tint place I called for an estimate says that Titanium tint will interfere with my gps and bluetooth. Need an opinion about that. Don't really want to spend $250 for ceramic as titanium will only cost me $175 and Charcoal will cost me $149. I'm located in Florida by the way. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:53 PM
apexi350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can do 35% in front, and 20% for rear side/back here in Houston.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:06 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I was told the same about Nav interference with certain tints. I have decent tint, but its not ceramic. One shop wanted $400 for the ceramic.... Mines the non ceramic and I have no issues. I'm not exactly sure if the Nav antenna is located in the antenna on the roof or in the dash, but I'm thinking it in the roof antenna. Some cars must have issues when the antenna is located under the dash. Again, I have no idea on this, just taking a shot a reasoning lol.