Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Question about amber strip...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Again, I don’t understand why anyone would bother. It’s hardly noticeable, especially during the day. Is it some sort of dare or taunting thing? ; i.e., getting one more illegal mod past law enforcement? If so, it sounds quite childish to me.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:38 PM
LIKE-A-G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People mod less. I think if I chromed it, it would just blend in... As if it wasnt there... What do you guys think
Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been pulled over for no front plate in the past. I just pay the fine, no big deal, I like the clean look of no front plate and I'm willing to pay for the citations. Gotta pay if you wanna play.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:37 PM
LIKE-A-G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i believe this is a clear side strip. i know you guys know who this is. Can anyone give me any more information on this??

Old 01-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Alan318

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
Again, I don’t understand why anyone would bother. It’s hardly noticeable, especially during the day. Is it some sort of dare or taunting thing? ; i.e., getting one more illegal mod past law enforcement? If so, it sounds quite childish to me.
Its for the look...nothing to do with cops. And imo its VERY noticeable. Its like saying painted emblems are not very noticeable...
Old 01-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Alan318
Its for the look...nothing to do with cops. And imo its VERY noticeable. Its like saying painted emblems are not very noticeable...
But does the fact that they may enhance road safety at night mean anything to you? For that matter getting rid of other safety devices could also be for a look. So why not change your tail light colors to green or yellow? That would be a different look and would be quite noticeable. And while you’re at it, get rid of the third brake light, and your air bags (on second thought no; nobody may notice they’re gone and you may need them someday).
Old 01-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Alan318

But does the fact that they may enhance road safety at night mean anything to you? For that matter getting rid of other safety devices could also be for a look. So why not change your tail light colors to green or yellow? That would be a different look and would be quite noticeable. And while you’re at it, get rid of the third brake light, and your air bags (on second thought no; nobody may notice they’re gone and you may need them someday).
The reason reflector strips exist is to show other cars the direction of your car. Just because its written in writing thats its a "safety device" does not mean it actully is. Explain how it enhances road safety??? Are cars suddenly not going to see you without a reflector strip? Is the reflector stip going to deploy an airbag if it senses a crash coming? My justification is reasonable. If you're relying on that amber light to see me at night, maybe you should get your eyes fixed.

The rest of what youre saying is just trying to make your main argument stronger, but it really doesnt.

Last edited by Alan318; 01-23-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM
ParkStr8

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To interject here...on almost all of my last 15 or so cars...I have done away with the orange refelctor strip or marker. In each case, I replaced the strip with clear, and then used an amber bulb instead of clear. When activated - hence turn signal, the amber bulb acts as a "signifier" on turning, etc...in the same way a clear bulb does with an orange reflector. I have NEVER had an issue - and have had many "Fix it" tickets for no front plate or tinted windows.

In each orange reflector case - I was not only compliant with the law, but also my design aesthetic.

Just saying.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by ParkStr8
To interject here...on almost all of my last 15 or so cars...I have done away with the orange refelctor strip or marker. In each case, I replaced the strip with clear, and then used an amber bulb instead of clear. When activated - hence turn signal, the amber bulb acts as a "signifier" on turning, etc...in the same way a clear bulb does with an orange reflector. I have NEVER had an issue - and have had many "Fix it" tickets for no front plate or tinted windows.

In each orange reflector case - I was not only compliant with the law, but also my design aesthetic.

Just saying.
Your logic is misguided. If your turn signals are not on, another driver may still not know your direction of travel at night, thereby jeopardizing safety. You are not in compliance with the law. The fact that you’ve never had a ticket (yet) means nothing.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Alan318
The reason reflector strips exist is to show other cars the direction of your car. Just because its written in writing thats its a "safety device" does not mean it actully is. Explain how it enhances road safety??? Are cars suddenly not going to see you without a reflector strip? Is the reflector stip going to deploy an airbag if it senses a crash coming? My justification is reasonable. If you're relying on that amber light to see me at night, maybe you should get your eyes fixed.

The rest of what youre saying is just trying to make your main argument stronger, but it really doesnt.
To quote from the intention of the law:
The lighting system of a motor vehicle consists of lighting and signaling devices mounted or integrated to the front, sides, rear, and in some cases the top of the motor vehicle. The purpose of this system is to provide illumination for the driver to operate the vehicle safely after dark, to increase the conspicuity of the vehicle, and to display information about the vehicle's presence, position, size, direction of travel, and driver's intentions regarding direction and speed of travel.
You have the right I guess, to reject the purpose of such laws, but they were put in place as a result of accident investigations where some drivers were confused regarding the direction and speed of other vehicles at night, causing accidents. You only need to go back to when such devices, like seat belts, air bags, padded dashes, dual brake lines, collapsible steering columns, turn signals, etc., did not exist when we were killing ourselves on the road at a much higher rate.

Sadly, you are in a group of many who play the odds and reject such safety devices in so far as they detract from the appearance of your car, which I believe is misguided logic. In the long run, in my view, it is foolish rebuff them as their intent is not to distract from your driving enjoyment, but to prevent accidents, including those that may be fatal. And for what? So your car looks a bit “cooler?”
Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LIKE-A-G
i believe this is a clear side strip. i know you guys know who this is. Can anyone give me any more information on this??

That rear wheel is just silly looking... thats like buying designer pants and wearing them down to your hips, LOL
Old 01-24-2012, 01:58 AM
QtrSkill
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in Qatar, middle east - gulf spec. this is how they look like here
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Infiniti...9_photo_11.jpg
We also get front& rear sonar sensors
Also the taillights doesn't have the 3 red leds on the sides
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Infiniti...9_photo_0f.jpg
My friend imported a 2008 g35 sedan with GTM TT from the US, and these were the first differences in exterior to notice
Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Alan318

To quote from the intention of the law:

You have the right I guess, to reject the purpose of such laws, but they were put in place as a result of accident investigations where some drivers were confused regarding the direction and speed of other vehicles at night, causing accidents. You only need to go back to when such devices, like seat belts, air bags, padded dashes, dual brake lines, collapsible steering columns, turn signals, etc., did not exist when we were killing ourselves on the road at a much higher rate.
"...where some drivers were confused regarding the direction and speed of other vehicles at night, causing accidents."

Don't you think this is kind of silly? If a driver cannot tell the direction of a car at night, that driver has a big problem. Speed is maybe more understandable, But a smart driver has the "senses" to know when its smart to make a turn onto an intersection or to merge with traffic safely, its almost second nature. I can bet you the majority of these accidents were polled from drivers that really should not be on the road in the first place. You know what Im talking about. Example: People that can never park straight into a parking spot no matter how hard they try. A 3pt always turns into a 5pt turn because they cannot guage the distance from their car and others. People that maintain speed when trying to merge onto a highway, or wait till their is no road left and completely stop then signal.

There are people who do retest after retest after retest before they are lucky and get licensed. My mother is one of those people. Just because they have a written document saying they are now road worthy does it really mean they are?

Like I said before just because its written down, it does not necessarily make it truly tested accident prevention application for the truly road worthy drivers.

Like the mbr above said in the middle east they dont even have the amber strip. But Chekov you seem really concerned about not having one and the significant damage it would cause on road safety if it were removed. Maybe in LA, there are alot more fatalities than the others??? i dont know.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Alan318,

I’m not in a position to argue neither how effective this law is nor how many accidents have been prevented since it inception; although there had to be rational reasons it was passed. But I do see however, in a situation at night where you approach another car ahead of you who is perpendicular to yours, where knowing his direction of travel could be helpful in clearing the intersection, especially if you are about to turn yourself. For example, if I’m about to turn right at the intersection and I know the other car is going from my left to right; I need to stop before we collide. I’m sure there are other examples where knowing a car’s direction of travel in a reduced visibility environment can prevent an accident.

Now I agree with you that not all drivers are smart, bun unfortunately, our vehicle laws are not designed for smart drivers; they are for all drivers.

But as before, I believe we are not in a position to disobey laws we don’t like, certainly not for silly reasons like cosmetics.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:46 PM
ParkStr8

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand how this became a debate...regarding law. Chekov - your time would be better spent focused on the phone/texting violators here in LA. I make a point to use the law to my advantage when possible - the last two accidents where I was hit i sued for diminished value and the insurance companies cut a check for 5500 and 7500 respectively.

This post was not intended to become a legal debate - but rather about an aesthetic choice and opinion, with reference to laws that vary by state, and country.

Leave the law to those who break it and are caught, or those who enforce it. Members stated warnings, end of discussion. Debate closed.

Keep on topic. Is there a clear alternative available? The OP has the answer.

Sorry to be direct but authoritative posts by those who are, by admission, not an attorney or law enforcement officer just seem like a waste of everyone's time.

Just like this post.

Last edited by ParkStr8; 01-24-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about amber strip...