Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Trunk Leaking Water After Accident Repairs.. Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:31 PM
llee916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Leaking Water After Accident Repairs.. Need Some Advice

Unfortunately, my 2010 G37S was rear ended in September by a "distracted" driver. It did $12K in damages to my vehicle. I had it repaired and since getting it back, I've had to take it back to the repair shop multiple times to get some things fixed again that were overlooked or did not get fixed properly. Lately, it's been the leaking of water into the trunk and I have to take it back again this coming Monday. Also, I had a state Bureau of Automotive Repair do a visual inspection on my vehicle and he stated that it looks like the rear end was not welded. The manager at the repair shop denied this and welcomed me to compare my vehicle to another G. I have yet to do that. This is a shop owned by a Nissan/Infiniti dealership.

Fortunately, this is a lease, however I am thinking about buying it at lease-end. But with this accident, not too sure. What would you do? Also, I never told Infiniti about the accident with this lease. Am I supposed to?

Any suggestions on what else to do regarding the leaking trunk that I've had to try to get repaired for the 3rd time now in addition to all the other times I've had to take it back? I'm concerned about the leaking water causing damage now and in the long run. Anyone with some experience?

Please chime in. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:16 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There should be no reason the shop can't get return the vehicle to you in the condition it was in prior to being hit. With that said, when my G was hit, all it really needed was a new fender and blending. Took them a total of six times to get it right. In the end it still wasn't and I had another shop do it at their expense.

I'd be a little weary of buying this car after lease, given how much work was needed and the fact it may not have been repaired correctly. If it was something minor like my fender, sure not a big deal, but welding and dealing with the unibody kinda scary.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:45 PM
llee916

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
There should be no reason the shop can't get return the vehicle to you in the condition it was in prior to being hit. With that said, when my G was hit, all it really needed was a new fender and blending. Took them a total of six times to get it right. In the end it still wasn't and I had another shop do it at their expense.

I'd be a little weary of buying this car after lease, given how much work was needed and the fact it may not have been repaired correctly. If it was something minor like my fender, sure not a big deal, but welding and dealing with the unibody kinda scary.
That's right. I need to take my vehicle to another shop and have the repairs done. I didn't think about that until this morning when I read the repair warranty language. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
llee916

I wonder if I need to be concerned about where the water goes and stays after it leaks into my trunk.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:11 PM
xSSv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take your car to another shop, have them inspect the vehicle and document everything! (Pics & paperwork)

Take the quote(s) back to the dealership and let them know you want each specific concern addressed. You might need to take it to (2) different shops to compare quotes. Once you have it documented they wont have a leg to stand on will repair the car properly at their shop or they will be liable.

Question: Was this insurance work or did you pay for it out of pocket?

If it was insurance then I would contact the agency to file a claim, I would also contact the BBB and submit a written statement along with the copies of each repair & copies of the quotes from other bodyshops showing that their is still damage. I would file a complaint against the shop & the dealership (since they own it) That way they will be more inclined to address the concern right away.

I would do this right away! Because you will be liable at the end of that lease for all damages to that vehicle.

Also I would not buy a damaged car ever! It will never be the same...
Old 01-23-2012, 03:13 PM
blackhawksfan81

I would definitely not buy that at lease-end. How much longer do you have on the lease?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM
llee916

Originally Posted by xSSv
Take your car to another shop, have them inspect the vehicle and document everything! (Pics & paperwork)

Take the quote(s) back to the dealership and let them know you want each specific concern addressed. You might need to take it to (2) different shops to compare quotes. Once you have it documented they wont have a leg to stand on will repair the car properly at their shop or they will be liable.

Question: Was this insurance work or did you pay for it out of pocket?

If it was insurance then I would contact the agency to file a claim, I would also contact the BBB and submit a written statement along with the copies of each repair & copies of the quotes from other bodyshops showing that their is still damage. I would file a complaint against the shop & the dealership (since they own it) That way they will be more inclined to address the concern right away.

I would do this right away! Because you will be liable at the end of that lease for all damages to that vehicle.

Also I would not buy a damaged car ever! It will never be the same...
Didn't think about getting a quote from another shop. Thanks for the advice.

And this was paid for by insurance.

I contacted the owner of the three dealerships and shop and they are in the process of getting this resolved. Let's see what they do.

I guess I'll have to think about by next car come lease end.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:21 PM
llee916

Originally Posted by blackhawksfan81
I would definitely not buy that at lease-end. How much longer do you have on the lease?
I have until Jan 2014 when it's due. Hopefully the next G will be out already, but then again I try to avoid the first year's model of any newly redesigned car as there may be bugs and stuff.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
xSSv

Originally Posted by llee916
I have until Jan 2014 when it's due. Hopefully the next G will be out already, but then again I try to avoid the first year's model of any newly redesigned car as there may be bugs and stuff.
If I were you I would try to get out of the lease 3-4 months early, you'll get lots of holiday cash thrown at the deal plus tax incentives & they will pay off the remander of the current lease to get the deal done. I would go back to the same dealership and make them give you an amazing deal for all this BS.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM
xSSv

Originally Posted by llee916
Didn't think about getting a quote from another shop. Thanks for the advice.

And this was paid for by insurance.

I contacted the owner of the three dealerships and shop and they are in the process of getting this resolved. Let's see what they do.

I guess I'll have to think about by next car come lease end.

Contact the insurance company & file a complaint against the shop!

Do all of this now so your covered and gives them even more incentives to fix their mistakes quickly.

The longer you wait the harder it will be
Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Keep taking it back until it is resolved. If it was an insurance approved shop, is is covered under warranty. Even if it wasn't, most reputable shops have a lifetime warranty on the work. My car was rear ended in October and the damage was 18k. The shop repaired my car flawlessly. Matched the moonlight white to a tee, and all gaps and lines are perfect. No leaks, no pulls, no issues.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:34 PM
xSSv

Originally Posted by sniper27
Keep taking it back until it is resolved. If it was an insurance approved shop, is is covered under warranty. Even if it wasn't, most reputable shops have a lifetime warranty on the work. My car was rear ended in October and the damage was 18k. The shop repaired my car flawlessly. Matched the moonlight white to a tee, and all gaps and lines are perfect. No leaks, no pulls, no issues.
The fact that the shop is defending their work rather than taking the initiative to address his concerns, is a serious red flag in my book.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 PM
SCBLKG37

take it back
Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank goodness its a lease....your situation is the primary reason I like to lease rather than buy new cars. The loss of value on a wrecked new vehicle is extremely high...with a lease you avoid the personal financial exposure of diminished value. Why would you even consider buying the car at lease end given this situation?

Stick to your guns with the body shop....incorrect repairs are dangerous to you and those riding with you. A water leak....could be a lot of bad stuff....or just something minor.