Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Is this a used, or bad bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 AM
JDUB916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a used, or bad bulb?

Hey guys, what do you think? I just got these D2S replacement bulbs for my G37 headlights and one looks perfect, clear and unused, where as the other look like its either been used or has some junk on the bulb. I haven't installed them yet, and I emailed and left a vmail with the site. They have a good rep on the forums but this bulb looks like it wasn't quality checked first. Is this something I can clean off? Also the bulbs are different in that one has a stamp on it that says the type, D2S, and also they came in a protected cover with a plastic washer to center it in the screw on lid, one is a nice clear washer and this bulb has an old looking white washer.

Thoughts?

Last edited by JDUB916; 01-20-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:50 AM
JDUB916

After another close inspection, the brown is on the inside round glass and It appears the other main long glass is around that so I don't think it can even be cleaned.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not positive, but I think that is the chemicals used inside for illumination. Should burn off/evaporate after use.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM
JDUB916

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
I'm not positive, but I think that is the chemicals used inside for illumination. Should burn off/evaporate after use.
Okay cool, I hope so! Waiting to hear back from them. Thanks I was hoping ur was something I wouldn't have to worry about
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it! On a side note! Never touch the bulb as oil or other unwanted grease can get on it and shorten the life of the bulb.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I'm presuming those are Philips bulbs. The reddish brown color inside are salts and are completely normal. It does not indicate that the bulb is used. See here:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/cont...bout-HID-bulbs.

What's the complete part number on the base of the bulb?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
JDUB916

These bulbs are from Diode Dynamics. So I went ahead and installed them. The one with the brown haze works fine, but I put in the other one and it blew as soon as it turned on. I've tested the old bulb and the Diode Dynamics bulb a s it's definitely blown! . So for now until I can get a hold of them to replace it, I'm Rollin one 8k and one factory bulb. And no, I did not touch the bulb.

On to another question. I just installed PIAA ion yellow fog bulbs on Wednesday night and I just noticed as I was taking a far away picture that my drivers side fog is more orange when u are looking at it from afar, u can't angle them and it was pretty straight forward in terms of the install? Why would it be like that? Is there a break-in period? I had these bulbs on my X-Runner before I went with HID fogs and they didn't do that.

Today is not a good day for bulbs apparently...

Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Ibanez540r

I can almost guarantee you it didn't blow. There is a known issue with aftermarket bulbs in the passenger side of the G. They tend to not light for some unknown reason. If you have a helper, install the passenger side and have them turn on the lights. You will likely see the bulb flicker on for a split second. Turn the headlights on and off really fast sever times and eventually the passenger side will stay illuminated.

Test me
Old 01-20-2012, 01:42 PM
JDUB916

I can almost guarantee you it didn't blow. There is a known issue with aftermarket bulbs in the passenger side of the G. They tend to not light for some unknown reason. If you have a helper, install the passenger side and have them turn on the lights. You will likely see the bulb flicker on for a split second. Turn the headlights on and off really fast sever times and eventually the passenger side will stay illuminated.

Test me
Ok I'm gonna go test it and on the driver side too, if so does that mean I will have to turn my headlights on and off rapidly for it to work all the time or sometimes?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
JDUB916

Boooo! But yay!! It's working you were spot on will I have to do this often?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Ibanez540r

Originally Posted by JDUB916
Boooo! But yay!! It's working you were spot on will I have to do this often?
I'm awesome.

For me it was not worth keeping the bulbs in. I had an accord coupe with aftermarket hids that eventually started doing this. I dealt with that for a long time and it's a pain. Sometimes you wouldn't know if it came on or not until you were behind someone, or other times it just wouldn't fire and stay on. With the new G it wasn't worth it.

So, to answer your question - Yes you will have to do it just about every time you turn your lights on. I don't have experience keeping them in the G so I don't know for sure. But, remember flicking them on and off like that for an extended amount of time will eventually take it's toll on the ballast.

Someone else can chime in here, but I believe if you purchase some high end bulbs such as Phillips, it does not have this issue (?).
Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 PM
JDUB916

Someone else can chime in here, but I believe if you purchase some high end bulbs such as Phillips, it does not have this issue (?).
Good question, I'm down to buy other bulbs to not have to do this, cuz you're right it's making me do it almost everytime. I had a set of HId's once back in the day that did this too, and you're right it eventually died
Old 01-29-2012, 04:29 PM
JDUB916

Wanted to follow-up. I got the bulb replaced and everything is perfect. I no longer have to turn my headlights off and on several times for it to stay on. Just in case anyone runs into this, change the bulb even if it's a new bulb like I had.

On another note, Im still having the issue with my PIAA ion yellow fog lights. my drivers side is way brighter when looking straight at it, or if I pull into a parking spot facing windows. Its almost as if the driver side light were facing upwards. Anybody ever run into something like this? (You can see it in the picture above too)
Old 01-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Have you checked to see that they're aimed exactly the same?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:24 PM
JDUB916

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Have you checked to see that they're aimed exactly the same?
Yeah, let me give that a shot again. That passenger side wasnt as simple as there was something in the way, maybe I didnt do something as good. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Is this a used, or bad bulb?