Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

AFS Adaptive Front-Light System

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 01:55 AM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
AFS Adaptive Front-Light System

Anyone have this? It is on the Tech Package for 2009, but then was dropped for 2010. Have you had problems with this system?

I'm leaning toward a 2010 as they aren't that much more than '09s, and the '10's have a better interior and Navigation System.

I live in a very mountainous area filled with winding roads. It seems like this would be a great option for me. Automatically moving headlamps up and down and side to side dependent on terrain.

Any idea if these could be moved from a 2009 to 2010?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 AM
A_Palaroan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have them and i love the way they work. definitly helps in dark winding roads
Old 01-12-2012, 02:10 AM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
So do they move up and down too, like do they aim down when cresting a hill, and up when descending into a valley? I'm wondering why this was drooped, seems like a great feature, especially for mountain driving. You'd think they would bundle it with an "x".

I know there's some kind of pick-up on the steering column. I wonder how much they would cost to add to a 2010? I know you want to sell yours real cheap.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The don't move vertically, only horizontally with steering input. It would be difficult and extremely expensive to add it to later models. There are numerous parts to the system besides just the headlights themselves. It was dropped because many people didn't really care about it and it adds a lot of expense to production cost.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If memory serves - I'd have to check my manual - but I believe it only operates below 15mph. They're not like BMW's which work at all speeds.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The right beam moves to the right, left beam to the left. They're great for unlit areas.

Right turns at all speeds 0mph or greater. Left beam does not move when you are at a stop, only when moving around 10-15mph.

I have noticed them move vertically too, not exactly sure how that works, it's not auto-leveling like in some cars. Start the car and you can notice the beam adjusting.
The following users liked this post:
the dreame (12-05-2013)
Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
The don't move vertically, only horizontally with steering input. It would be difficult and extremely expensive to add it to later models. There are numerous parts to the system besides just the headlights themselves. It was dropped because many people didn't really care about it and it adds a lot of expense to production cost.
Actually, the lights do aim vertically. If you look at the AFS headlights, they do not have height adjustment screws like the non-AFS lights. This is because they have a motor built in to adjust height. The AFS system also has a height sensor in the rear suspension. Depending on the angle of the rear suspension, the AFS adjusts vertical aim accordingly.
the dreame (12-05-2013)
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Am I just nuts or stupid then? (don't answer that! )

I have an 08 with AFS. I have adjusted the height of my headlight beams with adjustment screws. Mine absolutely do NOT move vertically automatically. They do not adjust based on vehicle height or angle. When I lowered the car, they were aiming too low. I adjusted the beam height manually with the adjustment screws to aim higher. I adjusted them a little too high and the AFS system has not leveled nor adjusted them back, they still aim high. I don't know if this applies only to 08 models or all of them but I'm 100% certain about mine not adjusting vertically automatically. If anyone has different information, please post a link to it or post a video of the vertical adjustment happening automatically.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Got my info straight out of 2008 Coupe service manual:

HEADLAMP AUTO AIMING
Headlamp Auto Aiming Control Description
• Headlamp auto aiming control controls the headlamp light axis height appropriately according to the vehicle
height.
• AFS control unit detects the vehicle condition necessary for headlamp auto aiming control with the following
signals.
- Height sensor signal
- Engine speed signal (received from ECM with CAN communication)
- Low beam status signal and high beam status signal (received from IPDM E/R with CAN communication)
- Vehicle speed signal (received from unified meter and A/C amp. with CAN communication)
• When the operation conditions are satisfied, AFS control unit transmits the aiming motor drive signal for
adjusting the headlamp axis height.
Headlamp auto aiming operation condition
- Headlamp ON
- While the engine running
- Vehicle speed (Control mode is switched according to the driving condition.)
Headlamp Auto Aiming Operation
• AFS control unit calculates the vehicle pitch angle from the height sensor signal. AFS control unit judges the
angle for adjusting the axis gap from the preset position.
CAUTION:
Adjusted axis position may differ from the preset position although the headlamp auto aiming activates
properly if the suspension is replaced or worn.
• AFS control unit controls the headlamp axis by changing the aiming motor drive signal output according to
the vehicle-rearward height when detecting the following vehicle condition. Output is maintained if other condition
than following is detected
the dreame (12-05-2013)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Modme
Actually, the lights do aim vertically. If you look at the AFS headlights, they do not have height adjustment screws like the non-AFS lights. This is because they have a motor built in to adjust height. The AFS system also has a height sensor in the rear suspension. Depending on the angle of the rear suspension, the AFS adjusts vertical aim accordingly.
They still have a manual height adjustment screw (I have a 09 Sedan), I did mine two days ago. The same screw goes through the motor assembly that can also automatically adjust height. I noticed this when I took apart the headlights.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I have afs as well as manual adjustment screw. Mine does not move vertically.
Had to adjust them after I lowered my car.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

So from what Modme posted it seems that the vertical height adjustment may not work correctly on vehicles that are lowered (the part about suspension replaced or worn). That may explain why mine don't aim themselves lower since they are obviously aimed too high. Or perhaps they are aimed high enough to be out of the range of the auto adjustment.

Thanks for posting that Modme.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:41 AM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
I have them, but honestly, they r more of a cool feature when u take turns slowly to me than actual functionality.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:55 AM
harp00n

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
for me it is another reason not to do the '10 front-end conversion! and relocating ICC is not possible for me because of the Stillen transmission cooler, so I would have to get rid of the both very nice features...
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
^ same here

Quick Reply: AFS Adaptive Front-Light System