Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

HID Bulb flash but doesn't stay on (aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 PM
apexi350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID Bulb flash but doesn't stay on (aftermarket)

I tried to replaced my OEM HID bulbs with aftermarket 6000k HID bulbs, this is the 2nd set that is show this symptom. It will turn on, for half-second, then turn off. I can hear some clicking, but it just won't stay on. Anyone experienced this from aftermarket HID bulbs before?

See the video here Hid bulb - YouTube

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah I have. Ordered from VLeds and the same thing happened to my driver's side bulb. What's weird is that it didn't do it initially. It happened on like the third day. Swapped it with a replacement bulb and all is fine for now. Did you try putting the bulb in the other headlight to see if the same thing happens? Also, why does your bulb look purple? Did you make sure to not touch the bulb with your bare hands when installing?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Fresh Mobile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i had the same problem with aftermarket bulbs. I test my oem and they work fine but when i put on the aftermarket it made a buzz sound and then stop w/o lighting. I replace it with new a one and it works fine. Lately i replace both hids and passenger side flashes and then doesn't stay on. My mechnaic said they have to warm up sometimes??? not sure about that but i just switch it on and off few times and it stays on. Don't know if thats gonna affect me in the long run?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:21 PM
dmeng

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apexi350z
I tried to replaced my OEM HID bulbs with aftermarket 6000k HID bulbs, this is the 2nd set that is show this symptom. It will turn on, for half-second, then turn off. I can hear some clicking, but it just won't stay on. Anyone experienced this from aftermarket HID bulbs before?

Thanks!

I had the same problem with my 6k Vleds and had to get a refund and try a different set and still no go. Some of the members here told me the culprit is the voltage that the lights run at, especially 2010+ models. The temperamental ballast will give an initial surge of power that the stock(OEM) hid bulbs are not effected by. The new aftermaket (cheap) hids aren't used to that surge and the initial burn-in fries them.

JHenka told me there are 2 ways of going around this issue. Getting a set of HIDs that are able to tolerate a wider range of voltage or get a new set and let them burn in (15-20 mins) on the ballast that works normally. After the initial burn in, let that bulb cool down ~5 mins and you should be able to put that bulb into the temperamental side without any issues.

I ended up just sucking it up and getting Phillips Ultinon, but they will cost you about $260 including S/H, be aware of the cheap knock offs as well

Good luck and let me know if you do end up finding some aftermarkets that work.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Same issue here with aftermarket. Passenger side. If you click them on and off real fast a few times it will usually stay on. I wasn't going to deal with that issue again as my previous car with aftermarket HIDs did the same thing. So, I'm back to OEM. Sucks...

^ IMO I don't think that advice above is going to make a difference.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:23 AM
maxfinity

I myself never had this issue and I was using cheap ebay bulbs for over a year. I wonder if the ballast were changed after a certain build date. I have a 2010 sedan that was built 12/09.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 PM
apexi350z

I am returning these and getting a new set from ddm (apexcone), hope they will work better. The original seller says it may be the ignitor? Not sure.. Anyway, mine is installed onto 2012 g37, so it's the newest oem ballast.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:25 PM
malady

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I just installed my 6k hid bulbs and the left side will flicker on start up.

Unless my car is on the left side won't even light up.

Anyone know how to fix this issue I got my bulbs from a vendor on here diode dynamics.

I have read about 5-6 thread with the same issue but I could not find a definite fix other than sticking with oem bulbs.

Thanks

Last edited by malady; 06-16-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:15 AM
kG37s

i've got the same problem, bought them from DD and got the 6000k.

I've got to switch them on 4 times for the driver side bulb to stay on lol. gets scary when the sun goes down and i'm on the freeway cus i cant tell if they're on or not

i just got a bumper fitted and dont wanna go through the hassle of changing the bulb so its stays for now, i hope someone finds a fix or reasoning to this
Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Superteeth

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The fix is not having cheap HID bulbs. The Matsu****a ballasts of a certain newer generation (I don't remember which) do not work well with aftermarket bulbs. There are a couple of threads that mention this as the problem. If you insist on having a color temperature other than the stock 4300K, you can either stick with the "on-off" method, or you can get some seriously overpriced Osram CBI 5000K bulbs. Sorry if you wanted to hear something else (well, you could replace the ballasts with cheap ones, too....)
Old 06-21-2014, 10:50 AM
malady

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kG37s
i've got the same problem, bought them from DD and got the 6000k.

I've got to switch them on 4 times for the driver side bulb to stay on lol. gets scary when the sun goes down and i'm on the freeway cus i cant tell if they're on or not

i just got a bumper fitted and dont wanna go through the hassle of changing the bulb so its stays for now, i hope someone finds a fix or reasoning to this
haha yup same for me 4 times I have to switch on/off to get them to work...super annoying

Originally Posted by Superteeth
The fix is not having cheap HID bulbs. The Matsu****a ballasts of a certain newer generation (I don't remember which) do not work well with aftermarket bulbs. There are a couple of threads that mention this as the problem. If you insist on having a color temperature other than the stock 4300K, you can either stick with the "on-off" method, or you can get some seriously overpriced Osram CBI 5000K bulbs. Sorry if you wanted to hear something else (well, you could replace the ballasts with cheap ones, too....)

I figured as much, thanks for the confirmation.

I wish the vendors on here would mention this before advertising them to everyone.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Superteeth

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ha, it blanks out the "****" in Matsu****a. I was thinking about using the fact that newer generation Matsu****a ballasts don't work well with non-OEM bulbs to uncover some Ebay dealers of various "OEM" bulbs as frauds (one of them being a seller of Philips Ultinon bulbs), but changed my mind. It would be a good idea, though, unless you just so happened to get some fake bulbs that would fire up correctly every time.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:16 PM
pmoreno818

3. My HID lights are flickering.

Flickering usually means the car is unable to supply enough power to the ballast. You can easily test this by connecting the HID kit directly to the car battery. If the kit works, it is a power issue. To resolve this you will need a wiring harness.

If your car has Daytime Running Lights (DRL) flickering is usually caused by the lower voltage needed to run the DRL at half power. The car's factory harness does not provide enough power to the ballasts. If the flickering is caused by the DRL you will need a wiring harness or have the DRL disabled (this may not be legal in all areas).

Flickering can also be caused by the vehicle's onboard computer failing self-check test due to the new HID kit you just installed. This can easily be corrected with a set of warning cancellers (capacitors).

4. My LED headlights are flickering.

LED lights may flicker on some vehicles, this is caused by the vehicle's onboard computer failing self-check test due to the new LED kit you just installed. This can easily be corrected by adding a set of warning cancellers (capacitors) to your setup.

5. My HID kit works sporadically.

If only one side turns on from time to time or you lights work inconsistently, you probably have a power issue. You will need a wiring harness to power your HID kit directly from the car's battery.

If you install the wiring harness and still experience intermittent firing, please check your wiring connections. Make sure the power terminal is properly connected to your car battery and that the wiring harness is securely grounded.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:51 AM
Bogcw1

Originally Posted by apexi350z

See the video here Hid bulb - YouTube

Thanks!
bump, has anyone found a solution to this yet? I have a 13 sedan and have the same problem
Old 02-04-2017, 11:23 PM
ab786___

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah you should see if the bulb actually fits into the igniter. properly. it will flick for few seconds if not fitted properly

Quick Reply: HID Bulb flash but doesn't stay on (aftermarket)