Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Rocks + 75mph + Windshield = 1Pissed off G owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 PM
t_hart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocks + 75mph + Windshield = 1Pissed off G owner

During my drive home for Thanksgiving, some dummy decides to "try" to pass the G..no no no sir!! After he finally caught back up, he swerved in front of me and tossed a small rock upon my windsheild, I heard it hit but didnt see anything...Mind you the temp was dropping as I got closer to my hometown, it went from 57 degrees to 41, within an hour and thats when the crack spread right in front of my eyes. The rock hit on the black framed part of the windsheid which spread, Thanksgiving morning in 38 degree weather the crack was an inch long, fixable...but no one's open, had to drive 30mins to the Thanksgiving spot, back home, by this time the crack is moving as fast as my car. Plus its now in drivers view...not fixable , so Im in need a a windshield, state farm says I have to pay my deductible, im in TX btw, but out of pocket windshield replaced is $300...what should I be looking out for? SafeLite says the windshield is not OEM its made my NMC or something like that, made by the same co who makes the OEM glass. Any info helps..Thanks! Sorry for the long story
Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
If you have the dealer do it, make notes of any identifying marks on the original windshield that signify it's an infiniti/nissan part. I've seen mobile units come out to dealers to replace windshields with who knows what.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:16 AM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to hear about your windshield. That sucks! My dad's 4Runner got a rock in his windshield like two weeks after getting the car. Replaced the windshield for ~$400 with lifetime warranty from a local place. Mind you, this was back in 2001. I'm surprised you can get one for as little as $300. My mom had to get her driver's side window replaced and that alone cost $250. Or are you saying your deductible is $300?

Just make sure you go to a reputable shop, preferably one that has a lifetime warranty on their work. I don't think you'll get an OEM windshield unless your insurance policy specifically says so or if you go to your dealership to get it replaced. Shouldn't be too much to worry about. It just sucks having to replace it.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Itchytoe

If you're going through your insurance, just take it to the dealer.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM
t_hart

no the $300 is for the windsheild replaced out of my pocket. if I do go through my insurance I will definitely go through the dealer, but I used to work a a Nissan dealer and as someone stated they mostly go through mobile shops. So...im still in the midst of research. Ill report any news I find.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:55 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subcribed.

I am also in the same situation. Keep us posted.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:03 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was told that PPG OEMs for Nissan. I had mine replaced with PPG, it's actually better and tough, less prone to nicks than OEM.

Mobile glass replace service can do this for you. Just be sure to let the new sealant set before you drive it -> introduce vibration.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by t_hart
During my drive home for Thanksgiving, some dummy decides to "try" to pass the G..no no no sir!!

Do you have a problem with someone wanting to pass you??

You're lucky he didnt pull a gun on you.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
same here...but only after a week into ownership. i replaced it with an oe windshield, and it was EXPENSIVE. insurance covered a small bit, but still...ugh! i feel your pain sir! if i did it again, i'd do an aftermarket windshield. for what it's worth, aftermarket windshields serve the same purpose. the only reason i didn't - was because the car was a WEEK OLD. i'm over it now though. lol
Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Years ago, I had an old caprice. I went through 3 or 4 windshields due to rocks, chips, etc. The last one eventually started leaking up at the top, near the mirror. Probably a combination of old age, inferior labor/glue. Not a big fan of replacing windshields after that. Never quite the same IMO.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 PM
anorudo619

fyi. purchase a winshield repair kit at autozone. works like a charm very easy to fix
Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
During my drive home for Thanksgiving, some dummy decides to "try" to pass the G..no no no sir!!

Maybe you haven't thought of it yet, BUT if you had LET him pass when he tried to the FIRST time, that rock would have most likely NOT been tossed up by his car. I'm sure you're all after that thought. Immaturity has no place on the highway.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:38 PM
t_hart

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
Maybe you haven't thought of it yet, BUT if you had LET him pass when he tried to the FIRST time, that rock would have most likely NOT been tossed up by his car. I'm sure you're all after that thought. Immaturity has no place on the highway.
I think my story may have confused some people, but I originally passed this person because he was swerving, and driving reckless, so when he attempted to pass me again, I did not want be anywhere close to him in my brand new to me car. So I decided to pass him completely, get far away from him. I don't mind people passing me, but I do mind my G being in harms way!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:48 PM
rabbit

I actually like it when people pass the G....
Old 12-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Itchytoe

I think my story may have confused some people, but I originally passed this person because he was swerving, and driving reckless, so when he attempted to pass me again, I did not want be anywhere close to him in my brand new to me car. So I decided to pass him completely, get far away from him. I don't mind people passing me, but I do mind my G being in harms way!
If someone is swerving and driving recklessly, it is best to slow down and keep a decent distance behind them so that you can stop when they wreck. Speeding up to get ahead of them makes you a target for them, literally. Run from a dog that's pissed off at you and you trigger the chase. Run from a drunk (who is only functioning on instinct) and you can trigger a chase... Don't put yourself in a position where the idiot can aim for you.

The "confusion" likely came from your original post. Doesn't sound like the other guy is drunk or reckless at all. Sounds like the G doesn't like not being the fastest car on the road.

Quick Reply: Rocks + 75mph + Windshield = 1Pissed off G owner