Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:05 PM
G35Rhino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint

I really think Infiniti did a disservice when it went away from scratch-less paint. I'm sure they saved a few bucks but come on. I traded my '09 Blue Slate S for an '11 Blue Slate S. My '09 had 58k miles and didn't have a swirl one on it. My 2011 has 8k miles and has swirls all over it already not to mention a lot of paint chips that I never had with my "old" one. Same commute route, same hand washing with same soap and quality cloths but swirls and chips...I'm pissed.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know which '11 you bought, but they should all have the self healing clear coat.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:01 PM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
My "11 has almost near perfect paint and its been 7 months.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Rhino
I really think Infiniti did a disservice when it went away from scratch-less paint. I'm sure they saved a few bucks but come on. I traded my '09 Blue Slate S for an '11 Blue Slate S. My '09 had 58k miles and didn't have a swirl one on it. My 2011 has 8k miles and has swirls all over it already not to mention a lot of paint chips that I never had with my "old" one. Same commute route, same hand washing with same soap and quality cloths but swirls and chips...I'm pissed.
Your 09 should have had the self-healing paint, my 09 does. My 07 Blue Slate paint sucked w/ plenty of chips and light swirls and my self-healing 09 has even more chips, but the swirls in the clear coat float back into the surface if left in the sun for a few hours. All Infiniti paint is pathetically fragile, especially noticeable on the darkest colors. Those that haven't had problems w/ chipping are either not driving their cars very much or not in much traffic at speed, or just very, very lucky. At least that's been my opinion (and hundreds of others on G35driver and this site.) Maybe the Infiniti Ms paint is better, but the Gs is very poor for a car at this price point IMO.

G35Rhino, do you keep your car garaged and out of the sun for the most part? You might put it out in the sun for a few hours and see if those swirls float back into the clear coat, they should. Might not get great results if it's not very warm where you live being winter & all
Old 11-27-2011, 01:55 AM
bleu ardoise
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Those that haven't had problems w/ chipping are either not driving their cars very much or not in much traffic at speed, or just very, very lucky. At least that's been my opinion (and hundreds of others on G35driver and this site.) Maybe the Infiniti Ms paint is better, but the Gs is very poor for a car at this price point IMO.
Or they just invested in this and never had to worry about paint chips....

Scotchgard

This is the the VERY first thing I purchase for all of my new cars within the first week..
Old 11-27-2011, 10:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by bleu ardoise
Or they just invested in this and never had to worry about paint chips....

Scotchgard

This is the the VERY first thing I purchase for all of my new cars within the first week..
I'm certain I'll be getting a clearbra on my next G, I had faith that they'd improved their paint processes since 07 but was badly mistaken, it doesn't seem they've improved anything since 09 either. I know the low VOC paint requirements make it tougher for manufacturers to apply more durable paints
but other makes have done a much better job than Infiniti in this regard.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
HTP AutoWorks

I'm certain I'll be getting a clearbra on my next G, I had faith that they'd improved their paint processes since 07 but was badly mistaken, it doesn't seem they've improved anything since 09 either. I know the low VOC paint requirements make it tougher for manufacturers to apply more durable paints
but other makes have done a much better job than Infiniti in this regard.
Go to any car forum and you will find the same complaints. It is pretty standard in the auto industry these days to have weak paint. Welcome to the world of water based paints. Getting a clear bra installed will greatly help.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
Go to any car forum and you will find the same complaints. It is pretty standard in the auto industry these days to have weak paint. Welcome to the world of water based paints. Getting a clear bra installed will greatly help.
Correct statement...this is worldwide in the the auto industry. Started happening in the 90's and has gotten worse.
My first experience with paint that chipped and scratched so easily was a 92 VW Passat. Almost every car I have had from many different makes since then has been very fragile.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My whole front end has paint chip in it. The last time I took it in I had them use touchup paint on spots for free cause I was pissed. Went back this past Friday,even more.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Coprolite
I don't know which '11 you bought, but they should all have the self healing clear coat.
CORRECT. '10 was the year they skipped it, but brought back self healing for '11.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^you sure about that?

This thread has the press release

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...1-g-sedan.html

But looking here

Nissan and Infiniti - The 2011 Infiniti Lineup --- Charting the Changes

The part about the scratch shield paint has been removed.. No mention of this on the 2012 PR either.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Coprolite

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^you sure about that?

But looking here

The part about the scratch shield paint has been removed.. No mention of this on the 2012 PR either.

My coupe has it. I even remember posting a pic of the engine bay sticker mentioning it.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 AM
G35Rhino

I'm almost 100% sure '11 doesn't have the scratch shield, my dealer (who could be wrong) said it did not and yes I'm positive it is NOT a '10. I did have Cilajet thrown in by dealer but doubt that would impact scratch resistance if in fact it has that.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 AM
G35Rhino

Your 09 should have had the self-healing paint, my 09 does. My 07 Blue Slate paint sucked w/ plenty of chips and light swirls and my self-healing 09 has even more chips, but the swirls in the clear coat float back into the surface if left in the sun for a few hours. All Infiniti paint is pathetically fragile, especially noticeable on the darkest colors. Those that haven't had problems w/ chipping are either not driving their cars very much or not in much traffic at speed, or just very, very lucky. At least that's been my opinion (and hundreds of others on G35driver and this site.) Maybe the Infiniti Ms paint is better, but the Gs is very poor for a car at this price point IMO.

G35Rhino, do you keep your car garaged and out of the sun for the most part? You might put it out in the sun for a few hours and see if those swirls float back into the clear coat, they should. Might not get great results if it's not very warm where you live being winter & all
Absolutely garaged except when on road or at the office. This is my 3rd G and never ever had swirls until now and this is identical color to my '09.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^you sure about that?

But looking here

The first one states it does, and the other is very vaugue and doesn't mention it at all, but does not say it doesn't. I googled many articles. they either say '11 has it or does not mention the feature.

I'm telling you '11 has scratch shield.

Originally Posted by G35Rhino
I'm almost 100% sure '11 doesn't have the scratch shield, my dealer (who could be wrong) said it did not and yes I'm positive it is NOT a '10. I did have Cilajet thrown in by dealer but doubt that would impact scratch resistance if in fact it has that.
I knew twice as much about the G then my dealer did. So, that 's not saying much coming from them. It has it.

Quick Reply: Paint