Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

LED Clearance Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:32 AM
demonmarcus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Clearance Light Issue

Hey guys, just recently got my LED's from Diode Dynamics and replaced all the dull yellow bulbs. All was great for couple days, except when I got home earlier noticed 'clearance' (daylight) 194 led's flickering. This was after engine was shut off with lights set to 'Auto'. I tried to start the engine but this persisted. Can someone please let me know if I'm missing a resister/capacitor perhaps? Any write up on what to get and how to install would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by demonmarcus; 11-22-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:16 PM
jhenka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by demonmarcus
Hey guys, just recently got my LED's from Diode Dynamics and replaced all the dull yellow bulbs. All was great for couple days, except when I got home earlier noticed 'clearance' (daylight) 194 led's flickering. This was after engine was shut off with lights set to 'Auto'. I tried to start the engine but this persisted. Can someone please let me know if I'm missing a resister/capacitor perhaps? Any write up on what to get and how to install would be greatly appreciated.
its either not completely in, the wires aren't straight or the led is starting to go. Check the fitment and if problem persists get an exchange.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:43 AM
demonmarcus

Originally Posted by jhenka
its either not completely in, the wires aren't straight or the led is starting to go. Check the fitment and if problem persists get an exchange.
I will do that later today but I doubt that's the issue. Both right and left is doing the same thing which leads me to believe it's either faulty LED's, or something is going on with the module itself. Will update tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:11 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
It's not faulty LED, At least IMO, All most all of mine did that when I first put them in,. I had to recheck the connection wires when installing them. Just had to fix one of my DRL LED last week. It would only light up after 5-10 mins( I think) I took it out messed with the wires and put it back in.. I still now and them have to tap my map lights because on of them doesnt always come on.. its just the connection wires are so thin.. .:/
Old 11-23-2011, 04:59 PM
demonmarcus

Doubt it would be the wires, it works just fine with OEM bulbs. It might be due to lower voltage requirement of LED's. I will try to get my hands on some LED conversion resistors that might fix this. Strange that it's an intermittent issue in some places but not others.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Enlight
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have replaced every 194 bulb in my IPL with LED's and have not experience any flickering. I have also installed LED's on several other sedans and coupes without issue. What do your LED's look like? It could be a faulty led driver. Generally LED's use an IC chip to pulse the diode around 100HZ, if for some reason that IC is bad it might be pulsing at a lower frequency that will cause the pulses to be visible.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:11 PM
jhenka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by demonmarcus
Doubt it would be the wires, it works just fine with OEM bulbs. It might be due to lower voltage requirement of LED's. I will try to get my hands on some LED conversion resistors that might fix this. Strange that it's an intermittent issue in some places but not others.
Marcus shoot me a pm I live in staten island I can take a look at them for you and I have a crap load of LEDs in stock if you need replacements. I don't care what anybody has told you I have installed at least 150+ cars and lights inside don't need resisters. The only cars that have that problem are german cars because they have a voltmeter built in to monitor them. And that's only for exterior bulbs. Xracer is absolutely right. You could have bought sub par bulbs which weren't monitored and all pulse ultra low...
Old 11-26-2011, 01:26 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ohh man, that sucks. I hate replacing the park/city bulbs. It's a total PITA to do.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:10 AM
demonmarcus

Thanks everyone for the input. I've been really busy last week, didn't have time to go on the forums. It's a PITA alright, they couldn't of made it any harder to replace. After pulling out the LED's I noticed they look nothing like the ones I got from Diode Dynamics, the kid at the shop must of confused them with the ones I told him to put in (they were in same bag). Going on 6th day now with no issues. Just realized I got those LED's at Advance Auto Parts for $10. What a rip off.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Not sure if this was resolved but I know I emailed you a couple times... please get back to me if you are having any issues with our bulbs!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 AM
demonmarcus

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Not sure if this was resolved but I know I emailed you a couple times... please get back to me if you are having any issues with our bulbs!
You've been really helpful, thanks man Glad to have this issue handled. Can definitely see the difference between junk and quality bulbs.