Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Auto steering wheel setting

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Auto steering wheel setting

So, I have the option ON to have the steering wheel auto lift upon exit. I do not have the seat on to slide back due to a car seat behind me. Anyway, the damn thing has driven me nuts since I got it and I keep forgetting to post up. Anyway, when I get out, it lifts, all is good. When I get back in, right after i open my door the wheel starts to go down, and then goes back up. Then after I start the car it goes back down to where it should be. It seems confused going partially down, back up, then down for good.

This doesn't seem right? if I get in the car quickly as I normally do, the wheel is almost down and bumping my legs as I sit. I'd imagine it should stay up until I sit and start the car?

Anyone else have this issue? Am I retarded or is it my car?
The following users liked this post:
the dreame (12-15-2013)
Old 10-28-2011, 02:10 AM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
So, I have the option ON to have the steering wheel auto lift upon exit. I do not have the seat on to slide back due to a car seat behind me. Anyway, the damn thing has driven me nuts since I got it and I keep forgetting to post up. Anyway, when I get out, it lifts, all is good. When I get back in, right after i open my door the wheel starts to go down, and then goes back up. Then after I start the car it goes back down to where it should be. It seems confused going partially down, back up, then down for good.

This doesn't seem right? if I get in the car quickly as I normally do, the wheel is almost down and bumping my legs as I sit. I'd imagine it should stay up until I sit and start the car?

Anyone else have this issue? Am I retarded or is it my car?
hey we got same exact car! moonlightwhite with graphite

well i think try turn the ignition to half on, then try adjust to proper position, then turn on the car see how it goes
Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you guys have your intelligent key linked with the memory postioner? If so when you use the intelligent key to unlock the door it automatically starts to move the seats and steering wheel to the position set for the memory button(1 or 2) assigned to that intelligent key. But when you open the door it starts to lift the steering wheel and move the seat back for easy entry. Thats why it may look confused but its actually trying to execute two commands at the same time. To check to see if the intelligent key is linked to a memory seat positioner all you have to do is hit the unlock button on your keyfob while looking at your memory buttons. If one of the buttons light up then the keyfob is linked to that memory position.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfinity
Do you guys have your intelligent key linked with the memory postioner? If so when you use the intelligent key to unlock the door it automatically starts to move the seats and steering wheel to the position set for the memory button(1 or 2) assigned to that intelligent key. But when you open the door it starts to lift the steering wheel and move the seat back for easy entry. Thats why it may look confused but its actually trying to execute two commands at the same time. To check to see if the intelligent key is linked to a memory seat positioner all you have to do is hit the unlock button on your keyfob while looking at your memory buttons. If one of the buttons light up then the keyfob is linked to that memory position.
Reasonable explanation, but if it's trying to execute two contrary commands at the same time, it is confused. Weird that it would be programmed to start to go to driving position simply because you've unlocked the car, when it clearly has to go to entry position when you do the next logical thing by opening the door. I'm the only one who drives my car, so my fobs aren't linked AFAIK, thus I've not experienced this.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfinity
Yup, my FOBs are linked. That's exactly what it is doing. Stupid and doesn't make sense why they do that. ...Just like you said, it starts to go down and set, then I open the door mid way and it starts going back up, but it's not fast enough and it always catches me while getting in.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Quade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed what sounds like the same thing. The seats and steering wheel would move forward then back when I unlocked the car. I did not previously notice it. But after I reset the position with the key fob, it stopped.

I realized that even though I previously had the key fob set, I had started to make slight adjustments after I got going. As stated above, after resetting the key fob and I did not need to make adjustments, the seat and steering column no longer moved when I unlocked the door.

I've again tried moving the seat and steering column to a different position then the setting as a test. I'm not 100% certain, but it seems when I do that, the next time I unlock the door, the seat and steering column move forward and back again.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
How do you turn the seat and steering wheel memory completely off? I am capable and it is becoming annoying. I lean on the wheel getting in and out and feel as if it will break while moving.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:30 PM
tommiwan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought my G two days ago and I had a problem like this. I'd start the car and it it would move the seat up like a midget was sitting there. I had to read my manual to find out that keys can be linked to a seat position. A quick reprogram and everything is fine now.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:55 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
On my 7AT, I had it set to move the seat back out of my way when I shut down, and move it back when I started it. Made it a lot easier to get in and out and reduced the wear and tear on the edge of the seat from dragging across the side bolster.

This is only available on AT's - it's disabled on 6MT's.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 263 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by rm2342
How do you turn the seat and steering wheel memory completely off? I am capable and it is becoming annoying. I lean on the wheel getting in and out and feel as if it will break while moving.
I tend to agree with you; completely unnecessary unless you are a 275lb offensive lineman. In addition, I don't like using the seat motors on a daily basis as I know these are a weak spot on almost any car with power seats (even Toyotas blow through these motors). I also keep cars for 10 years, so I am always thinking about long term wear and tear.

Since I am the only one who will drive my car 99% of the time, I went ahead and setup everything to preference and then cancelled the "entry/exit function" (you will need this exact phrase to find the feature in the ~500 page owner's manual)

Here's the excerpt from the manual on how to cancel/activate the feature:

"The entry/exit function can be activated or
canceled by pressing and holding the SET
switch for more than 10 seconds.
The indicator lights on the memory
switches (1 and 2) will blink once when
the function is canceled, and the indicator
lights will blink twice when the function is
activated. Note that the indicator lights
may illuminate after 5 seconds while
holding the SET switch. This indicates
readiness for linking the Intelligent Key to
a stored memory position. Keep the SET
switch pressed for more than 10 seconds
to turn on or off the entry/exit function."

Mike

Last edited by socketz67; 09-03-2013 at 09:09 AM.