Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help Fog light install Fail

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Chomponthis
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fog light install Fail

I have a 2008 coupe and upgraded to a 2011 s bumper with fogs.

I got HID for the fogs which are h11. I was trying to find a way to tapping into something for a power source. I tapped into my fog lamps that are integrated to my headlight. The yellow and black wire in the pic. i tapped into it on the drivers and tested it and it worked turned on fine with my fog light switch. Tapped the second one and tested it and then poof my fogs go off and so do the hid. I tested the fogs and hid directly to the battery and they turned on so no burned bulbs. I think i blew a fuse or something because my fogs wont come on anymore. Please help

TAPPED INTO THESE WIRES

Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Look in the fuse box for the headlight fuse.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Chomponthis
Registered Member

I looked at the fuses by the clutch and non of them said headlight, where is it?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Intelligent power distribution system, located next o the battery. You need to pull it out and then take off the cover.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is your stock foglamp still hooked up? If it is you may have overloaded the circuit and blew the fuse. Try disconnecting the stock foglamps and try again. IF that still doesn't work you may need to add a relay to your hid kit
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 AM
thejumpoff

Yup. Sounds like you drew too much current through the fuse and it popped. Do what others have said and check the fuse, otherwise a relay may be needed. Pcasey also listed the patch harness that he used to avoid splicing the OEM harness.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Chomponthis
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Modme
Intelligent power distribution system, located next o the battery. You need to pull it out and then take off the cover.
I found it, now im looking for which fuse?
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
Is your stock foglamp still hooked up? If it is you may have overloaded the circuit and blew the fuse. Try disconnecting the stock foglamps and try again. IF that still doesn't work you may need to add a relay to your hid kit
my stock fogs in my headlight Are still hooked up, i disconnected my hid fogs in the bottom because this happened. Now im back to the beginning.

Originally Posted by thejumpoff
Yup. Sounds like you drew too much current through the fuse and it popped. Do what others have said and check the fuse, otherwise a relay may be needed. Pcasey also listed the patch harness that he used to avoid splicing the OEM harness.
Do you know where the fuse is? I checked the ones by the battery and inside my car but cant find one that says headlight. I talked to pcasey and he said he used a pigtail part number ac 120 to hook up his fog but i dont know where to tap in the pigtail for a power source. His fogs where regular h11. Im doing hid h11.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chomponthis
I found it, now im looking for which fuse?
my stock fogs in my headlight Are still hooked up, i disconnected my hid fogs in the bottom because this happened. Now im back to the beginning.

Do you know where the fuse is? I checked the ones by the battery and inside my car but cant find one that says headlight. I talked to pcasey and he said he used a pigtail part number ac 120 to hook up his fog but i dont know where to tap in the pigtail for a power source. His fogs where regular h11. Im doing hid h11.
you need to remove the surrounding panels around the battery. it's in there and it's a huge rectangle black box that you have to pull out.

after replacing the fuse try to disconnect your stock fogs before trying. you don't necessary need a pigtail harness for such install imo. as long as you tap it nice and neat it'll work the same. good luck!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You should run the 12v to the ballast straight from the battery, with a fuse. When you tap the 12v for the trigger, you will probably be better off using a relay too.

That's the safest way to do it.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Chomponthis
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
you need to remove the surrounding panels around the battery. it's in there and it's a huge rectangle black box that you have to pull out.

after replacing the fuse try to disconnect your stock fogs before trying. you don't necessary need a pigtail harness for such install imo. as long as you tap it nice and neat it'll work the same. good luck!
Im a try that this weekend or take it to the dealer. ill just say i dont know how that happened. Maybe they can give me a solution to properly do it. I heard i had to buy the harness, which is an arm and a leg.. so not going that route. thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by san~man
You should run the 12v to the ballast straight from the battery, with a fuse. When you tap the 12v for the trigger, you will probably be better off using a relay too.

That's the safest way to do it.
well i still need a switch to turn em off and on right? so they will be on all the time if i do it directly to the battery?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 AM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
No, you should have 3 wires going to the ballast: constant 12V, ground, and a 12V trigger.