Body Interior Exterior Lighting

My custom headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Unique Bliss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking My custom headlights...

...that I want to have...

I am trying this thread again since my pictures distracted everyone in my previous thread...

I have been doing some research on how to swap out my current head light projector lens for the TSX-R lens. I was able to find a DIY on G35driver that explained the process for the sedan, but I am looking for one for my coupe. While I have the lights open, I am planning on painting them as well. Here are my main questions:
  1. Is there a DIY for the lens swap for the coupe or is using the sedan version sufficient?
  2. Will changing the projector lens out mess up the beam alignment of my projectors? If so, will I be able to reasonably be able to align them back to stock height/width?
  3. When I seal the lights back together, how can a best prevent from getting condensation? Please provide details as to sealant used and how to apply, etc.
  4. Anybody have any experience with the Orb LED from 180Custom??? I have sent them several PMs, and have heard nothing back...

I am assuming some people on this forum have done this themselves. I am not a complete noob when it comes to this since I had a previous retro-fit on my accord a few years back. I am just looking for any guidance since I will only have about 3 days to get the process completed.

Last note, I am in the Dallas area. If there are any G owners around the area that have experience in using a local shop or doing the install themselves, I would perhaps be interested in paying someone to do these things.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

Last edited by Unique Bliss; 10-11-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Namir
Registered Member

1. I think I used the sedan one, it was pretty much the same and anything that wasn't was self explanatory.
2. Yes, you have to realign for sure, yes its easy to do.
3. Buy the actual Butyl windshield sealant. Don't use caulking or sealant. If you can buy it in a tube its probably not the right stuff. 3M Butyl Tape is what you want. I got it at napa.
4. No idea. Got my lens from retrofitsource.com and they were excellent, great service.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 PM
sharkey

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
i can only answer number three

when i did a air duct for an EVO headlight, i used a heat gun to take the light apart. while getting ready to put it back together, i heated the sealant and put the clear lens back on. while i started to close it up i used the heat gun to keep the sealant soft and proceeded to shut the light and kept it soft until i could fully shut the lens. then i taped it close and cooled it down to hardened the sealant. it, has to date, never leaked or fogged up...
Old 10-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Unique Bliss

Originally Posted by Namir
1. I think I used the sedan one, it was pretty much the same and anything that wasn't was self explanatory.
2. Yes, you have to realign for sure, yes its easy to do.
3. Buy the actual Butyl windshield sealant. Don't use caulking or sealant. If you can buy it in a tube its probably not the right stuff. 3M Butyl Tape is what you want. I got it at napa.
4. No idea. Got my lens from retrofitsource.com and they were excellent, great service.
1.) I am fine with using the DIY then... I was planning on getting the TSX-R lens as well...
2.) How to I go about realigning the projectors once my car is put back together? Can you point me towards a DIY or enlighten me?
3.) How to I seal the lights with the wind shield sealant? I am a bit confused on this one...
4.) I am going to check with 180 Custom on this one as well.

Originally Posted by sharkey
i can only answer number three

when i did a air duct for an EVO headlight, i used a heat gun to take the light apart. while getting ready to put it back together, i heated the sealant and put the clear lens back on. while i started to close it up i used the heat gun to keep the sealant soft and proceeded to shut the light and kept it soft until i could fully shut the lens. then i taped it close and cooled it down to hardened the sealant. it, has to date, never leaked or fogged up...
Thanks for the heat gun tip...
Old 10-10-2011, 09:24 PM
sharkey

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Its alot better then using an oven, you ll have way less stress cracks
Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 AM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

If using a heat gun, do you need more than one to heat the sealant? Once the sealant is soft enough to remove, wouldn't it cool down after moving the heat gun to a different area?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Tek-C
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unique Bliss

2.) How to I go about realigning the projectors once my car is put back together? Can you point me towards a DIY or enlighten me?

here ya go!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...djustment.html
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The coupe and sedan lens are different. The coupe has a aluminum cap which need's to be pry off in order to remove the lens. The sedan uses a cap with screws. Once you crack open the housing everything is pretty much straight forward and almost every part can be removed and is held on by Phillips screws. Do not use a heat gun to open it, you will warp your housing. Oven heats the lights evenly and much easier.

+1 on butyl tape. You add it to The existing factory sealant and you bake it again after you're finished modding.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Unique Bliss

Originally Posted by Tek-C
Thanks for the link!!! I have some experience in doing this with my previous Accord that had a retrofit...

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
The coupe and sedan lens are different. The coupe has a aluminum cap which need's to be pry off in order to remove the lens. The sedan uses a cap with screws. Once you crack open the housing everything is pretty much straight forward and almost every part can be removed and is held on by Phillips screws. Do not use a heat gun to open it, you will warp your housing. Oven heats the lights evenly and much easier.

+1 on butyl tape. You add it to The existing factory sealant and you bake it again after you're finished modding.
Is the aluminum cap easy to remove and replace? I would assume so, but just wanting to be sure. I will stick with the oven method and stay away from the heat gun idea.

With the Butyl tape... I know where to pruchase it, but how exactly do I use it? When I am ready to seal back up my lights... Do I just place this "tape" on the existing seal and shut or does it go on the outside of the lights once thay have been put back together? Thanks for your details again!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Weiboy718

Thanks for the link!!! I have some experience in doing this with my previous Accord that had a retrofit...

Is the aluminum cap easy to remove and replace? I would assume so, but just wanting to be sure. I will stick with the oven method and stay away from the heat gun idea.

With the Butyl tape... I know where to pruchase it, but how exactly do I use it? When I am ready to seal back up my lights... Do I just place this "tape" on the existing seal and shut or does it go on the outside of the lights once thay have been put back together? Thanks for your details again!!!
I'll take a upclose pic of that for you tonight. It's very easy to remove, the pic should be able to explain it better than I do.

As for the sealant, you top off on the existing sealant and close it shut by baking it. You can add a little bit on the outside too for safety but it'll look messy.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Tek-C
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the link!!!
No problem. I'm going to soon attempt this all myself as well, so I've been bookmarking links for awhile now. Just waiting for a time to pull the trigger and start this project.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Unique Bliss

I'll take a upclose pic of that for you tonight. It's very easy to remove, the pic should be able to explain it better than I do.

As for the sealant, you top off on the existing sealant and close it shut by baking it. You can add a little bit on the outside too for safety but it'll look messy.
Thanks. I will await your pic in regards to the projector lens. And just to clarify... I will place the Butyl sealant on the open headlight then bake together so that I have NO condensation...?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Unique Bliss

Originally Posted by Tek-C
No problem. I'm going to soon attempt this all myself as well, so I've been bookmarking links for awhile now. Just waiting for a time to pull the trigger and start this project.
Same here. I will have a gap of 4 days to get the work done at the end if this month. Just need to order the TSX-R lenses, Orb LED from 180Custom, sealant and paint. I just want to have it all lined out before to make the process as smooth as it can be if that's possible. Lol.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Weiboy718

here you go! took some pic's just for you guys!

note: the chrome shroud isn't there that's why it looks like this.

you see the pinch point of the cap, all you have to do is pry it open and pop off the cap. very easy but be very careful. also you see the little black clips on the projector housing itself. you can remove the whole projector by pinching in the black clips on every one of them. you'll have to remove that before you can get the lens out anyway. have fun!

this is not a diy or anything so pls do this at your own risk and don't blame me for screw up's lol

Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Unique Bliss

here you go! took some pic's just for you guys!

note: the chrome shroud isn't there that's why it looks like this.

you see the pinch point of the cap, all you have to do is pry it open and pop off the cap. very easy but be very careful. also you see the little black clips on the projector housing itself. you can remove the whole projector by pinching in the black clips on every one of them. you'll have to remove that before you can get the lens out anyway. have fun!

this is not a diy or anything so pls do this at your own risk and don't blame me for screw up's lol

Thanks for the pics... This will help for sure!!!

Quick Reply: My custom headlights...