Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Headlights stolen!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 PM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tek-C
I live in AZ, and I took out the amber in my headlights on my civic. been driving like that for 6 years, never had an issue with cops pulling me over and giving me a ticket for them. I was stationed in GA, before that and same thing. I don't have the fear of driving with out amber in my headlights. It's one of those laws that they probably don't care about unless they want to be an ***, i guess.

Chekov's logic, while I don't agree with it, makes sense.

It's not that you won't get pulled over for it, it's that you could get pulled over for it.

Although I will say, that by this logic, none of us should ever leave the house for fear of some freak accident killing us.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I live in AZ, and I took out the amber in my headlights on my civic. been driving like that for 6 years, never had an issue with cops pulling me over and giving me a ticket for them. I was stationed in GA, before that and same thing. I don't have the fear of driving with out amber in my headlights. It's one of those laws that they probably don't care about unless they want to be an ***, i guess.
Well, I really don’t want to overwork the old rationalization that having never been pulled over yet is some sort of proof that you will never be pulled over. Like poor Captain Edward Smith, he crossed the Atlantic for thirty years and never hit an iceberg—until that one time.

So let me try another approach. There’s a reason for the amber (and red in the rear) light law, and that is it enhances safer night driving. Does that mean anything to you? Or is it just another silly law that you do not have to respect, as if you have the right to disobey any law or rule for which you disagree.

Sure I’m older than most around here and may be out of touch, but frankly, I’ve never been able to understand the mindset of those who drive around with illegal mods and think nothing of it, as if getting away with it so far is proof that they’re doing nothing wrong.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Tek-C
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chekov
Well, I really don’t want to overwork the old rationalization that having never been pulled over yet is some sort of proof that you will never be pulled over. Like poor Captain Edward Smith, he crossed the Atlantic for thirty years and never hit an iceberg—until that one time.

So let me try another approach. There’s a reason for the amber (and red in the rear) light law, and that is it enhances safer night driving. Does that mean anything to you? Or is it just another silly law that you do not have to respect, as if you have the right to disobey any law or rule for which you disagree.

Sure I’m older than most around here and may be out of touch, but frankly, I’ve never been able to understand the mindset of those who drive around with illegal mods and think nothing of it, as if getting away with it so far is proof that they’re doing nothing wrong.
You're right, just because it hasn't happen, doesn't mean it can't happen. However, for safety purposes, if they the other drivers can't tell which direction I'm facing/driving, or if I'm a vehicle with my headlights and tail lights on, then I guess the other drivers have a problem.

You may be older, but I find age to be irrelevant since I believe age doesn't define one's maturity level. As for installing mods in disregard for silly laws, i guess it falls under the same category as to driving 4 miles above the posted speed limit and think it's okay. The law is the law, yet people still do it. Will a cop pull you over and give you a ticket for driving 39 in a 35, probably not. Does it make right, who knows. People are still going to do it regardless...
Old 09-08-2011, 03:56 PM
The Jewbag

If this were the case, then every other country would require every car has amber in the headlights
Old 09-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by The Jewbag
If this were the case, then every other country would require every car has amber in the headlights
Not necessarily so. Other countries may not have the interest in auto safety that we have. Certainly, we are more litigious in the U.S., leading to higher auto insurance rates stemming from auto accidents. And I’m sure there are other safety features we have that are not installed in vehicles in other countries. All that tells me is that those countries, especially those that do not have democratic governments, just don’t give a rip.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Xenolith666

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's not like there aren't lights still there.. trust me, they're bright! They light up the whole frikin road from the middle of a 3 lane highway.

And who says I don't enjoy my G? Also, when driving any sports car, who isn't a little paranoid about a cop being around that corner when you're going 75. It can't be helped.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Apparently you’ve decided that because they’re bright, the absence of amber doesn’t matter, i.e., the letter of the law can be waived. I know it sounds corny, but we are a nation of laws, and this sort of thing can lead to many other personal justifications:

• Use of seat belts are not necessary if you’ve never had an accident.
• Blabbing on a cell phone at 65 mph is OK if you’re a skilled driver.
• Speed limits should be discretionary and need not be obeyed by good drivers.
• Rear license plates not necessary if you obey all other traffic laws.
• Blue tail lights should be allowed if you like that color.
• Parking in front of a fire hydrant is OK if there’s not been a fire in the area for over 10 years.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:32 PM
G37sEugene

these are beautiful
Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Tek-C
Registered Member

Apparently you’ve decided that because they’re bright, the absence of amber doesn’t matter, i.e., the letter of the law can be waived. I know it sounds corny, but we are a nation of laws, and this sort of thing can lead to many other personal justifications:

• Use of seat belts are not necessary if you’ve never had an accident.
• Blabbing on a cell phone at 65 mph is OK if you’re a skilled driver.
• Speed limits should be discretionary and need not be obeyed by good drivers.
• Rear license plates not necessary if you obey all other traffic laws.
• Blue tail lights should be allowed if you like that color.
• Parking in front of a fire hydrant is OK if there’s not been a fire in the area for over 10 years.
I think you're becoming way over dramatic with this. We think you made your point. Besides, not everybody lives in a state where police will pull you over just to see if you have any illegal mods like California.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

I think you're becoming way over dramatic with this. We think you made your point. Besides, not everybody lives in a state where police will pull you over just to see if you have any illegal mods like California.
You’re right, but I felt it was the only way to make the point. But if it’s now been made, I’ll leave you guys alone in this thread.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Tek-C
Registered Member

You’re right, but I felt it was the only way to make the point. But if it’s now been made, I’ll leave you guys alone in this thread.
I do see your point, but you have to admit, those lights do look awesome like that!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Xenolith666

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
pfft.. trivial **** you list.. I drive with my ****in feet while drinking a bottle of jack daniels and huffing glue..

go be rules police somewhere else.. maybe you should become a cop and you can bust all those people breaking those all important trivial laws you hold so dear on your side of the country. All the things you listed, 90% of the countries drivers do at one point or another..