Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Oil filter warning light

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:19 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil filter warning light

Had my local shop change my oil with Mobil1 and filter 2 weeks ago. Today I got message displaying oil filter warning. Did the local shop screw something up? If I bring car to dealship, you think they would void my warranty or put something in my record to use against me later if some warrantly work comes up. Or bring it back to local shop and have them look at it. This kinda detour me from going to local shop and stick with Dealship oil change.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You need to reset it. There's only 2 buttons to control the display, one scrolls through options, the other is the enter button.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:00 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
An oil change is SO simple, I'm not quite sure why anyone would not do it themselves for 1) piece of mind, 2) to save money and 3) to be sure it actually gets done.

SO many fly by night oil change places charge you for work they never do.

Jiffy Lube Scam Caught on Tape! - YouTube
Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Jiffy Lube is such a joke. I am surprised they are still in business
Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by antirice
Jiffy Lube is such a joke. I am surprised they are still in business
They're not the only ones who do it.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sneakers
Had my local shop change my oil with Mobil1 and filter 2 weeks ago. Today I got message displaying oil filter warning. Did the local shop screw something up? If I bring car to dealship, you think they would void my warranty or put something in my record to use against me later if some warrantly work comes up. Or bring it back to local shop and have them look at it. This kinda detour me from going to local shop and stick with Dealship oil change.
If you feel certain that your shop messed up then have them fix their mistake. If there has been no damage to anything I wouldn't raise any red flags with Infiniti.

Originally Posted by MACS
An oil change is SO simple, I'm not quite sure why anyone would not do it themselves for 1) piece of mind, 2) to save money and 3) to be sure it actually gets done.

SO many fly by night oil change places charge you for work they never do.
Not everyone has a safe place to do it, the tools required or in some cases the ability. I imagine for some their time is worth more than the 'savings' of doing it them self.
If I was in a position of ever having to use an unfamiliar oil change shop, you bet I would be watching them.
I used to do them myself but now its just not worth it, my dealership does them for me free anyway
Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just turn off the Filter alert, unless you change it at a different interval than you change your oil.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
You need to reset it. There's only 2 buttons to control the display, one scrolls through options, the other is the enter button.
To reset, you hit the "enter" button on the right? I did that couple of times already to clear the display. It comes back when I starts my car or randomly when driving.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
If you feel certain that your shop messed up then have them fix their mistake. If there has been no damage to anything I wouldn't raise any red flags with Infiniti.
The oil filter warning never came up before the oil change but I cant be certain its them or coincident. I am a bit concern I might be doing damage to my engine. I might even bring car into dealership to have them do an oil change and chuck all that good mobil1 oil and filter for peace of mind.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KLB
Just turn off the Filter alert, unless you change it at a different interval than you change your oil.
How do I do that? I had local shop change oil and filter at the same time. Sorry for the stupid question.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Just take a look at your owners manual, it'll be a bit easier to follow. Very simple once you know the sequence. BTW, don't worry about any engine problems or warranty issues (as long as you keep your receipts). The oil filter warning is only a reminder when you hit a preset mileage interval. They may have reset just the oil reminder and not the oil filter reminder. This is not hooked into some sort of oil filter sensor or anything
Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Just take a look at your owners manual, it'll be a bit easier to follow. Very simple once you know the sequence. BTW, don't worry about any engine problems or warranty issues (as long as you keep your receipts). The oil filter warning is only a reminder when you hit a preset mileage interval. They may have reset just the oil reminder and not the oil filter reminder. This is not hooked into some sort of oil filter sensor or anything

Oooh, this is a reminder message and not a message that is indicative of a problem..pheeeeew! I doubt the local shop know how to reset these settings. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS
I used to do it myself, but the problem is nobody near where I live will take the used oil and filter anymore. Rather than drive across town to a designated center with dirty oil in my trunk, I just have the dealer do it now.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Read the manual on how to reset it. As you said, it's not a mafunction indicator simply an reminder set to a predetermined mileage interval. You can reset it, change the interval, or simply turn it off. As I said, there's only 2 buttons controlling the display and it seems blatantly self explanatory to me when you scroll through, but if it's not obvious to you how to reset it then consult the owners manual.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:13 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for putting my concerns to rest. Will certainly go through the menu option on the 2 buttons, sounds easy enough. Thanks again all.

Quick Reply: Oil filter warning light