Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help Millions of RUST SPOTS!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Millions of RUST SPOTS!!!!!!!!!

As I was washing my car this week, I noticed my car had one too many rust spots on the rear trunk, bumper, and rear quarter panel. Initially, I thought that maybe because I never clayed my car when I bought it caused the problem; however, I purchased my rear spoiler 4 months after purchase, and that too is full of damn rust spots. Any clues as to what might cause this?

Things to keep in mind:
1. I live by a corner of a HUGE intersection with TONS of traffic
2. Although I park my car in the Garage at times, many times I just leave it in the drive way, so maybe it gets exposed to what ever the cars kick up
3. I didn't clay my car till like 6 months after I bought it
4. When I bring my car to work, I park it right in front of a nursery
5. I AM GOING CRAZY WITH ALL THESE SPOTS
6. Although the spots are not noticeable a foot away, it just irritates me knowing they are all there!

Will take pics asap
Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Z gave way to G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typically they are referred to as "rail dust". The name comes from when cars are transported by train and the little metal shavings being kicked up from the trains wheels, land on the vehicle surface and begin to rust. White shows it the worst. Your car's exterior surface is experiencing the same type of issue. Metal flakes from somewhere are adhering to the surface and rusting. ONLY use a clay bar to remove. If you try to sand and buff, you will only break off the tips of the metal and end up scratching your car. Since you're only seeing it in the back, make sure your rear brakes are not grinding or anything like that. Hope this helps and good luck
Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^^^^ yes, clay bar is your friend ;-)
Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
I know exactly what it is. Its when they drilled to put in you spoiler, they never blew the metal shavings off. I know this because Kev has them also.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:23 AM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like rail dust to me. Do you work or live near the tracks? Don't know if shavings would hang around 4 months... You need to clay bar once a year depending on environmental conditions... Anthony is my twin car brother!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Fentress24

I have this too. It is showing up behind the front wheels with a few spots down the side and on the trunk. I do live like 5 miles from a train track but I dont think that is it because I am never really that close to it. . Could it be something with our breaks?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
in for pics
Old 08-03-2011, 12:27 PM
ReddieG37

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
clay bar should do the trick
Old 08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Fentress24

I can put up pictures tonight after work. I will be installing my 6k V-leds's headlights and ill snap a few pictures. Good to know about the clay bar maybe ill get some time to do that this weekend.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RaulGCustom
I know exactly what it is. Its when they drilled to put in you spoiler, they never blew the metal shavings off. I know this because Kev has them also.
Honestly, that might be it. After installing my spoiler, I NEVER clayed my car afterwards, until last week when I noticed all the rust spots. Now that its clayed, hopefully the spots wont spread.

Originally Posted by yogregb
Sounds like rail dust to me. Do you work or live near the tracks? Don't know if shavings would hang around 4 months... You need to clay bar once a year depending on environmental conditions... Anthony is my twin car brother!!!
I live like 5 minutes the tracks, but I doubt it can affect me this far.. can it?

Twins FTW! lol

Originally Posted by Fentress24
I have this too. It is showing up behind the front wheels with a few spots down the side and on the trunk. I do live like 5 miles from a train track but I dont think that is it because I am never really that close to it. . Could it be something with our breaks?
Not too sure if its going to be the brakes, otherwise it would show on the front portion of the car also. My spots are only in the rear of the car.

Originally Posted by Dj farhan
in for pics
Coming right up!

Originally Posted by FantastikG37
clay bar should do the trick
I hope so, I clayed the car immediately after I saw all those rust spots. I guess I never noticed them because I ALWAYS wash my car at night. This was my first time since I purchased the car that I washed it in broad daylight (under shade of course), and its when I noticed all those dots. Now that I clayed it, I hope they don't spread. I just want to know, now, how to get rid of them.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 AM
yogregb

I'd say the wind could carry the dust for miles, easily ,and if there's any moisture in the air particularly in the morning, if will stick to the car....
Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i noticed these too when my car was new. hardly noticeable but they were all around the OEM spoiler. i think it definitely has something to do with how they put on the OEM spoiler. i have since then detailed my car with clay and i dont see them anymore.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
where are the pics?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Fentress24

my bad did my lights last night but forgot to take pictures. Should be able to snap a few today during lunch at work.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:44 AM
QuickSilver08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had it happen on mine over the entire car. Turned out to be from some plant at the place I was living at. I moved and clayed the car and haven't seen em since.

Quick Reply: Help Millions of RUST SPOTS!!!!!!!!!