Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Does Infiniti cover their crappy paint under warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by CodeG
I have not seen a Hyundai that have a better paint job then the G. Porsche has better paint job for sure, but not Huyndai or Ford. SUV and truck are less susceptible to chipping because they have huge front grill and sit much higher off the ground.
Have a friend w/ a 3 yr old VeraCruz, another w/ a 3 yr old Sonata, and another w/ a 2 yr old Genesis sedan and all 3 paint jobs are superior in lack of chips and orangepeel than my 09 and my 07 Gs. Sure it's a small sample (regarding Hyundai) but it's a fact that Infiniti paint is extremely fragile and much more susceptible to chip damage than very many cars that are at or below Infinitis price point.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:07 PM
RhetoricMixes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope it isnt as bad as my 06 Tacoma I traded in for my G. I clear bra'd that thing asap because of the horrible paint on that thing.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:31 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I probably have 40+ chips on the bumper of my car, plus 6 or 8 on the hood. This paint really is awful. I had bad paint on my G8 as well, a re-paint and re-clear of the front bumper with an extra layer of non-water based clear coat solved my chip problems. I might get leetle teeny 'dings' or depressions in the paint every once in a while when a particularly large rock or item hits the paint, but I didn't get a single chip in the 3 months following the repaint. I then sold the car and now I'm back to square one, lol.

I have had a lot of quality issues regarding this car. They have been very disappointing, and not what I expected. My Honda CR-V had better QC, paint and construction techniques, I think. It too was built in Japan. The G8 was worse in terms of QC. Here's hoping my next vehicle has fewer issues. Sorry for the semi-thread jack.
The following users liked this post:
Zelf24 (02-16-2015)
Old 04-18-2011, 06:09 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only have one or two tiny chips on my G and it's almost 3 years old. I've never understood the "bad paint" comments.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I only have one or two tiny chips on my G and it's almost 3 years old. I've never understood the "bad paint" comments.
If you could see my OB G you'd understand immediately
Old 04-18-2011, 06:32 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Although I am unimpressed with the finish of the paint (a lot of orange peel), I have not had problems with chipping. I've had the car for eight months and driven through the winter...and I only see one very small chip on the front of the hood. Looks like paint chipping might be a hit or miss issue.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Maxpilot

Paint chips on your car are based on where and how you drive. If you drive on gravel roads behind a dump truck, you get rock chips. On the highway, I always stay back from the car or truck ahead to avoid chips. Some folks tailgate and get more chips.

Regarding paint, there are only a few automobile paint manufacturers in the world. PPG and DuPont are some of the best and I know my dealer uses PPG paint for repairs.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
I wonder what brand actually has decent paint? When I had Acuras everyone complained about their paint quality. Samething with my Hondas. I was on a bimmer forum and heard the samething.
^ +1
As depressing as it is, take a look see around a parking lot. We're not alone. Of course some will see what they want, but, IMHO, paint just aint what it was, mostly do to the EPA.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dj farhan
you reminded me about my rustspots that i just noticed on my trunk and i need to take care of them.

i just called my dealership and asked them about it. they say to bring it in and show them, my oil change is coming up, we will see what they say
Going through the same thing right now myself. It started when the car was about 2 months old. Infiniti Canada said they'd have it repainted, I said there's no reason why a 2 month old car needs a paint job. I demanded a new factory painted trunk lid and they rejected it. Kept on saying that the warranty agreement says they can choose to either replace or refinish the defective part. Dealership said squeaky wheel gets the grease, keep calling Infiniti coporate to complain and hopefully I'll get what I want. Even the folks at the dealership doesn't agree with the corporate's way of dealing with it.

I asked the rep on the phone to get the person who made this call to give me a call. It's been about week so far.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:57 AM
smashhell

Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
I've had my '11 G37X since mid November and this has more paint chips in it than my '02 Honda Civic EX which has over 110k miles and I've owned for 9 years. I never drove this car to work in the snow and I have about 9.9k miles put on this (I do about 100 miles a day). I'm going to bring this up to the dealership next month when I go in but I am curious if they cover this. I dont feel like dropping 3k to get a good exterior paint job on a car less than a year old. Now I'm wishing I got the clear bra on my car. The civic has nighthawk black pearl paint while the g37x has obsidion black.
You must be driving your car hard than. Lots of country road I presume?

I brought my 2011 in November too, and my car has no chip what so ever. It look like it just came out of the show room. Maybe just cause I don't drive it alot, only daily commute.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 AM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smashhell
You must be driving your car hard than. Lots of country road I presume?

I brought my 2011 in November too, and my car has no chip what so ever. It look like it just came out of the show room. Maybe just cause I don't drive it alot, only daily commute.
no, all highway. i do a 100 mile drive a day to and from work.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well I'll give a little update on my paint. I contacted Infiniti USA about this since I am more concerned about the area's where metal is now exposed and told them at the first hint of any rusting I will be bringing it in under the corrosion warranty since rust falls under that. They told me to bring it into the dealership ASAP and have them check it to see if it will fall under warranty. I have an appointment on Tuesday to have it looked at.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:57 PM
bitNine

acutally i am equating this paintjob closer to Maaco. I once got one of my civics done through them, it was pretty much the same
I have a maaco paint job on my truck. I drive my truck thousands of miles in the mountains, and I don't get paint chips as easily as I already have on my Infiniti.

The Maaco paint job is better, and doesn't have a clear coat (polyurethane black)
Old 05-04-2011, 01:58 PM
bitNine

well I'll give a little update on my paint. I contacted Infiniti USA about this since I am more concerned about the area's where metal is now exposed and told them at the first hint of any rusting I will be bringing it in under the corrosion warranty since rust falls under that. They told me to bring it into the dealership ASAP and have them check it to see if it will fall under warranty. I have an appointment on Tuesday to have it looked at.
Wow, that's a great way to handle it. I will bring it up on my first visit to the dealer, just like this.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:37 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My paint continues to suck. I have just learned to live with it, and I will repaint the bumper and hood someday, I suppose.

Quick Reply: Does Infiniti cover their crappy paint under warrenty?